Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Deaf as a post...  (Read 1827 times)
KE4JOY

Ignore
« on: March 13, 2011, 01:10:39 PM »

So I made my inverted V 10 meter dipole. It talks quite well. Got almost flat SWR around 28.400 Good  signal reports all around.

The thing is received signal strength is way down compared to other bands/antenna. Nearly all qso's listened to were one way.

Contacts I made were giving 59, they were good copy but I gave a few 'light' signal reports 54 43 etc.

I do get some 'strong' signals which push S6 but signals like that would be 20 over on say 20.

Now I would suspect the receiver but I have tried 3 different receivers with about the same results.

Having never been on the air while 10 was open before (bad timing) but is it normal for signal strengths to be a lot more subdued above 28MHz?

Doggone it wrong forum  Sad

Move please?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 01:13:13 PM by KE4JOY » Logged
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 04:12:32 PM »

Sounds normal for 10 meter operation when the band is open. I spoke to a person in California with an S4, Q5, sounded like a 20 over local signal. The one sided conversation is about on right on 10 meter skip. I hear many stations and do not hear who they a re talking to. In fact I find it unusual to hear both sides of a conversation on 10 meters during skip conditions. I also use a 10 meter inverted "V". It works great. I use a 100 watt transmitter and can talk to just about anyone I hear. Enjoy 10 meters now that it is opening up.

Regards,
73s
K2OWK

Don't worry about being on the wrong forum, answers are available everyware.
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 06:55:47 AM »

Well something must be working right. I bagged Hawaii yesterday afternoon.

Not exactly DX but one of the tougher states from the east coast for sure.
WB2EOD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 07:03:45 AM »

Not being able to hear the other side of a QSO is fairly common on 10. The other operator may be too close to you or maybe your antenna does not favor his direction.

You may also notice a station coming in perfectly clearly but not moving your s-meter.  This is also not unusual for 10 meters. 
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 04:50:31 PM »

If you did a bi-directional link budget you would see the asymmetries of transmitter power, antenna gain and receiver sensitivity. In a perfect world propagation should be symmetrical but that only assumes that the exact same type and model of antennas and transceivers at each end.

Also, you may be more honest with your signal evaluation, the "5-9" is almost a meaningless value and I think few folks even have an S meter that comes anywhere near approximating an accurate reading.

They may be running a higher receiver gain or their AGC works differently. Many things can affect a received signal level. You can also change the receiver bandwidth filter and get a completely different set of numbers.

I long for the days of uV or dBm.

Ms. Tisha Hayes

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: