Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any Way to Copy Paper Log to Digital??  (Read 4981 times)
W6FG

Ignore
« on: January 15, 2011, 04:32:46 PM »

I've tried so many different logging programs...  Some free but several of the paid ones as well.  Logic 8 (and a few of the earlier earlier versions) was one of the most powerful I'd say.  But having typed in several of my log books into a few different programs I can say that was a tedious, time consuming job.  Then my hard drive went south and that was the end of my paper to digital logging effort.  Fortunately, much of it had been uploaded to LoTW, but that's only the most basic info.
I've got all my logs starting from 1976 and I would LOVE to have them all in digital format for award chasing etc.  Also, I like to be able to call up a call and see if I've worked it before when I'm just tuning around looking for a Q.  Nice to have all the info there at my screen from our last QSO, even if it was from a few years back. 
I'm wondering if anyone knows of a program (or any other solution) that would some how transfer my paper logs to a logging program.  Even at a few pages a day, it's a daunting prospect to (AGAIN) try and type all my log material into EQF, LOGic, AC log, etc. I've started over so many times it's getting discouraging!

Thanks for any replies,

rf

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Time flies like arrows...
Fruit flies like bananas!
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 03:44:31 PM »

If it is hand written, no way to automate the process.  If typed or printed, you could OCR but, depending on the quality of the originals, you could be doing a heap of manual corrections.  If you are successful, then you have to format to whatever format the logging program accepts.

Not a trivial task!!   Roll Eyes
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 05:38:06 PM »

OCR would not work here because too many fields and nothing to deliminate them in scans. Hunt and peck is solution to enter it and you really only need to do it once if you use a logging program that can export files in asc deliminated format that can be usually imported into other programs.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
W6FG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 05:52:34 PM »

Yeah, I was afraid of that... thanks guys!  Time to start bangin' it all in by hand.  But this time I'll be sure to frequently back the data up somehow; DVD etc. or 'thumb drive'. 

rfg

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 07:05:50 PM »

I backup my log file to a USB "Zip Stick" regularly.  The log program I use can do it automatically too. On this stick I also have the install file for this program so if it goes belly up and can insert stick in another machine and be back up fully in but a few minutes if need be.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
N2MAD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 08:35:05 AM »

Your post indicates that you have already copied all or portions of your paper log into one or more logging programs, so why not just export the most recent log in "adif" format and import it into whatever logging program you a partial to. I use DX Lab Suite. It is very powerful and the learning curve is not that steep.

73, Barry N2MAD
W6FG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 09:29:06 AM »

I wish I could Barry but when the hard drive went belly up, so went all the data (and programs that produced the data).  Yes, I have downloaded the ~5700 q's (into AC Log at the moment) that I had previously uploaded to LoTW so I'm very glad that I have that info.  It was more detailed when I had it listed in my EQF/LOGic/AC logs like with names, the op's personal data, gear used etc. but at least the basics are still there and accessible in LoTW.
I'm looking over the software reviews here on eHam again, looking for the best logging program for my awards chasing efforts.  I'm sure that most programs these days will handle adif files so the data can be transferred from log to log, in case I find a logging program that seems to work better for me.  I'll take a look at DX Lab too, thanks!

rfg

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 11:52:29 AM »

The last thing you want to do is embark on a massive typing project, only to lose the data to yet another hard drive crash (and there will be one; it's just a matter of time).  Don't start entering data until you've decided on and implemented a bullet-proof backup plan.

If you have a relatively small amount of data to back up--2Gbytes or less--you may want to use something simple and free, like Dropbox, which backs up your data online and also allows you to easily share it among computers.  It's available at http://www.dropbox.com

If you don't like Dropbox, there are plenty of alternatives. 
WD4KPD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 06:29:24 PM »

paper into digital is a no go, except for OCR if you can get it to work.

is anyone aware of a log program that will accept voice/audio input.  has anyone tried maybe
Dragonspeak or such with logging ?

just curious, as i got the same problem here.

david/wd4kpd

WA5FLV

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 10:38:56 AM »

Have tried so many different logging programs and finally given up. I want a simple program that lets me type in data from my paper logs. I don't want it to auto date or control the radio, rotator or coffee pot. Yes a simple spreadsheet would work but I don't want to creat it. Don't want to spend any more money trying to find the right one. I'm sick of trying to make programs or handle software. I do this at work all day long. Not worried about backup or saving files. Got that covered fine. I just want to enter my old logs, save it and the send it to EQSL in the adi form.
Curious that this hasn't been done.
N5NA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 11:30:38 AM »

Have you tried http://www.df3cb.com/fle/index.html ?

Or maybe http://www.wb8nut.com/download/Manual_ADI_entry.xls ?

Here's another one:  http://www.w8tn.com/software.htm

Alan  N5NA
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 11:38:27 AM by N5NA » Logged
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 11:38:13 AM »

Have tried so many different logging programs and finally given up. I want a simple program that lets me type in data from my paper logs. I don't want it to auto date or control the radio, rotator or coffee pot.
N5NA beat me to the recommendation for Fast Log Entry by DF3CB. 

It's not perfect for general-purpose log entry because it doesn't parse things individually into "name, QTH" etc... just puts things in the "comments" field, but it's good for quickly getting your log in for award tracking and so forth.

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
WA5FLV

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 03:56:59 PM »

Thank you!!
I have googled and all that but didn't get any of these.
First one looks like a winner. Simple and quick. Will try it.

WB4M

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 04:44:49 PM »

I'm afraid typing is your only solution.  I went through that years ago, and I set a goal of 5 paper log pages each night.  Eventually, you'll complete the job.  I also was using a RAC CD as I typed, and I was surprised at how many hams showed up as SK's.
I now back up my logs on USB memory sticks, along with the registration file for my logging program.
WB4M

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 04:46:04 PM »

I backup my log file to a USB "Zip Stick" regularly.  The log program I use can do it automatically too. On this stick I also have the install file for this program so if it goes belly up and can insert stick in another machine and be back up fully in but a few minutes if need be.

Don't forget to include your registration file or dll. on that stick!
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: