Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prosigns  (Read 3328 times)
KU2US

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 06:50:54 PM »

Congratulations and welcome to the world of CW! At the very end of my transmission I do "sk" Silent key. Yes "BK" is used quite often by many CW op's to turn the Qso over to the other op. It basiclly means "Back to you". When the other OP sends me "BK" and giving it back to me, Then I start out with 2 "R's", then go into my sentence. This readies the other op to copy. You will hear this all of the time, but you do what is good for you. Yes "K" means I am finished as does "KN" also, but when you are calling CQ and put a "K" at the end of your call, it may confuse someone. I use "QRZ, and then a "K" for this. This means is anyone listening and if so go ahead. I know this may be confusing, but listen to what other folks do, and you will pick it up fast. What you also will hear at the end of a "Q" is "TU", this means thank you. All of it is really cool, but develope your own style.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2011, 06:10:27 PM »

Yes "K" means I am finished as does "KN" also

K doesn't mean "I am finished", it means "Go ahead" or "Over".  KN means the same thing, but it's used when you're already in QSO and you don't want anybody else breaking in.  It means "Over" to a specific station.
------------------------------------------------
 but when you are calling CQ and put a "K" at the end of your call, it may confuse someone.

How is it confusing?  All it means is "go ahead".  After a CQ, it means "I'm listening for any calls from anyone".
I use "QRZ, and then a "K" for this.

QRZ means "Who is calling me?"  If you call CQ and someone answers but he's covered up with QRM or a burst of noise, THEN is the time to use QRZ.

This means is anyone listening and if so go ahead.

No it doesn't.  QRZ = Who is calling me?
--------------------------------------------------
 I know this may be confusing, but listen to what other folks do, and you will pick it up fast.

Problem is, if you listen to newer hams, who haven't picked up the correct procedure and the correct meanings of Q Signals, you'll pick up their bad habits.
-------------------------------------------------------
 What you also will hear at the end of a "Q"

"at the end of a 'Q'" ??  At the end of a QTH?  QRM?  If you mean QSO, why not type out the whole thing?

Pat K7KBN
CW op >50 years

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: