Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Field Day and 160 Meters  (Read 595 times)
N0UY

Ignore
« on: May 30, 2006, 07:55:39 AM »

Hope this is a good place to post this question.  A couple freinds and I are heading for the woods again this year to work field day as 2B MN.  Are location will be the Northern edge of Grid EN17 here in Minnesota and we will probably be using Ron's call N5IN.  We traditional have one or two verticals that work on 15M, 20M, 40M, and a horizontal loop that covers similar frequencies.  Is it worth our effort to bring out a 160M Dipole to work CW.  

tnx    ray
N8CPA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 08:05:12 AM »

Hmmmm--good question.  I would take along the 160M dipole, even though I have never heard a FD signal there.  If nothing else, all that wire can make one
heck of a receiving antenna!
K8GU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 09:25:51 AM »

You might make some QSO's on 160; but, I think you'd be better-off concentrating on the other bands, especially with a 2B effort.  That's just my opinion, though...
N0UY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 12:47:33 PM »

tnx for the replys.  I thought maybe someone was working 160m on field day.  I always have fun on the 160m contests.   Anyway, we will be working all the other bands running one station on CW and another on SSB.   Hope you have as much fun as we do.

Ray  N0UY
K1OU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 07:35:26 AM »

If I were to take a 160 dipole out to field day, I would strongly consider feeding it with 450 ladder line through a tuner.  This way you will be able to cover as many bands as you need with one antenna, not to mention some gain on the harmonics.
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 01:33:28 AM »

Whether or not you choose to operate 160m depends a lot on your goals for FD.  Are you approaching FD as a competitive event?  Contesters have a saying about multi-band contests, "If you're on 160, you're losing."  The point is this; if the idea is to run up a big score, 160 won't generate eough contacts to justify the time and effort.  But if you're just playing around and wanting to see what's possible, it might be a lot of fun.  Remember QRN levels are liable to be fierce and a low dipole on 160 is a near vertical radiator.  Not the best prescription for generating a lot of contacts from the midwest.  Don't expect more than a handful of Q's.
N0UY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 03:49:10 AM »

Larry, (I could use your call, HA)
I guess my goal for field day is to just have fun with a few good friends.  I'm 51 yrs old and the young guy of the group.  Wally is 80, Art is 70, and Ron is around 63 yrs old. Each year we learn more about what works in regard to antennas, rigs, and even the camp set up.  The best thing for me is just going out in the back woods and setting up the equipment. Generating Q's is the icing on the cake for me.  For a couple of the other guys the Q's are the cake so it works out to be a heck of a lot of fun for all.  Especially for the bitting insects I'm sure.

Best wishes to all of you on your own FD.

Ray
WE8Q

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 12:52:27 PM »

We will be on 160 phone from a state park campground in Ohio as K8UU.  Our first attempt on 160 also.  We don't go for the big score...just the big fun time!
73, Steve - K8FFO
N3PAQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 11:15:30 AM »

My club is planning on running 160 CW & SSB on Field Day - look for K3MAD on the band.

Joe
N3PAQ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: