Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the obsession with "great audio" when transmitting?  (Read 22103 times)
N6PJB

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2011, 02:22:01 PM »

So maybe their goals are not DX oriented. 

This is a *hobby* and as such, there are many paths that different individuals may desire to take in the pursuit of happiness. 

As long as it does not violate the rules and regs, I don't see a problem here, matter of fact there might even be something new and desirable come of it someday, something that conceivably could become the standard in future offshelf rigs and such. 

I cannot understand the inflexibility some exhibit over such trivial matters as this one.

Have FUN and 73

I totally agree. It is a HOBBY! Have fun!  Smiley
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2011, 03:31:13 PM »

Airline pilot?

The aeronautical stuff I've listened to sounds like 8 parts distortian and 2 parts abortion. The quality is that which in the days of 2 metre AM, hams would have been ashamed of putting out a signal like that.
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2011, 06:17:41 PM »

Cmon wheres the AM folks  Grin
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2011, 06:38:29 PM »

If this true with these units, then why do most guys that use one splatter up and over 5 KHZ each way? 
There was one on 20 meters yesterday that was over 6 Khz and God forbid someone tell him that he is over-modulating.

John, W3ML

That could be any number of things.  You can still overdrive an amplifier and cause horrendous IMD.  And of course if signals are strong, a lot of times the receiver in use is just as much at fault (or more so) than the transmitter.  A lot of "splattering" signals on the bands have nothing to do with transmitter bandwidth when run at normal power without overdriving anything, but "all knobs to the right" can cause many problems.
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2011, 03:40:01 AM »

I just want the other guy to understand me, so I speak at a moderate rate and don't yell into the mike and speak as distinctly as I can.  Hence most of the time the other op gets my name and QTH without me having to spell them out and I don't have to repeat over and over.
The problem most often faced is "what is the rest of your prefix?" 
Most of the guys with equalizers and such seem to have little else to say except to drone on and on about their "equipment" and how wonderful it is.  I guess those who have little to say
need to sound as good as they can while saying it.
 Roll Eyes
Allen  KA5N
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2011, 03:51:58 AM »

I often get great audio comments from other stations and I don't have anything special at all at my small station. I have a Kenwood TS-570 with a Heil HC-5 mic cart. I replaced the Kenwood mic element with the Heil element. Sounds great so they say and no EQ's or anything special at all.
73 Jim. KF5HRN
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2011, 03:55:12 AM »

In my experience, great audio comes more from genetics than generic microphones.
Lets face it guys, most of us just have whiny squeaky voices, and they will only sound
worse with more bandwidth.
If only all hams had voices like James Earl Jones.

73s.
KC8IUR

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2011, 05:51:59 AM »

I thought a male tenor was desirable to drive SSB? You're saying Johnny Cash is better?
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2011, 06:33:36 AM »

It sounds like SWMAN has gone to Heil! Shocked
KC5AOS

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2011, 07:12:41 AM »

FT-2000 w/the stock mic it came with.  Mic is about 12" from mouth and I am speaking in a normal voice with the mod at about 65%.  I get "GREAT" audio reports and have never heard that I am exceeding + 3kHz.  Why would I need to spend $ on an after market mic??

In contrast, I talked to a ham the other day that had very narrow audio BW (an older Icom rig).  I first told him I thought he needed to get his rig checked because I thought it was off frequency.  When I turned the clarifier, his signal didn't get better leading me to believe he wasn't off freq, rather just not good audio.  

Plus, I think a wider audio BW can help capture more contacts when calling CQ.  If just rag chewing, sure thing, norrow it down.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 01:49:07 PM by KC5AOS » Logged
N3JBH

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2011, 07:47:48 AM »

I have a Omni 6 + so go ahead and crank the audio up your still going to sound like the tin man to me  Grin
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2011, 11:11:25 AM »

Simple and plain, it is that good audio is easier to hear and understand.  The hams that don't go overboard, that is they don't brag about how they have an 'X' microphone, a 'Y' equalizer and a 'Z' hookup, and are just trying to get the best audio out understand this.  The stock microphone made for a rig isn't the hands down best choice for some hams because of their voices, but it is for most hams most of the time.

Hams who, however, have to have 'braggin' rights' and just have to tell the person on the other end how many toys they have do it for just that purpose--to brag about how many toys they have.
Thank you,exactly what I was trying to say. It`s not about braggin` rights,it`s about being heard better at the receiving end,hence a good audio attracts more qso`s. I simply meant who wants to sound like an h.t. if you can sound better. That doesn`t mean going over the proper bandwidth,etc.
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2011, 06:14:12 PM »

...Why isn't the emphasis on the type of audio which will "get through" most effectively?...

I'm with you.  Not many people appreciate that. I think the goal is to have the guy at the other end hear me. I don't get on the air to impress people with my audio.

To that end, I have my audio tailored to that goal, because broadcast audio does NOT accomplish that when I'm not moving the other guy's S-meter. Period.

KC8OYE

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2011, 06:28:21 PM »

we had a guy on a local 2m repeater that used to intentionally over-modulate his signal by talking very loudly with a VERY deep base voice.  He would frequently be informed of his terrible audio.. and he would always and not very politely explain he does that 'to get out better' (dagnabbit cb'ers coming to ham.. aRRGGH!!)  he ignored several warnings from OO's and finally a hefty fine from the FCC and threats to pull his license stopped him...
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2011, 02:08:04 AM »

These days its very easy to tell who is a new ham,,

New Hams typically run

1.  more mic gain that is really needed
2. They uses excessive bass

New hams also seem to love ESSB, must be something to do with cranking knobs or looking like DJ.

The worst audio on the air these days is what people consider "great audio" Great audio generally means excessive bass, consuming  more bandwidth than what is needed and causing a lot of splatter.

This excessive audio craze of trying to fit  12 pounds of audio bandwidth into a 1 pound audio sausage bag needs to be stamped out of ham radio.  Its very simple, you cant defy the laws of physics and just makes the broader ham community look like audiophools.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: