Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 160m contest - how far?  (Read 3550 times)
M0GTK

Ignore
« on: January 30, 2011, 08:06:02 AM »

Curious newbie...

1.800-1.810 MHz was absolutely alive with CW, 04:30 GMT today (QTH London, pitiful little random wire antenna).

My 12 wpm Morse, 1988 vintage, has completely withered; 'CQ' and 'K' - that's about all that's left. I couldn't do any of the call signs. There was no accompanying SSB phone activity.

I almost never hear Top Band signals - local QRM and antenna difficulties. I rarely even bother to listen, so this morning was a pleasant surprise.

Note that I identified the bottom 100kHz of 160m. According to my book, this is a US/FCC allocation. The UK and AFAIK, most of the rest of the world, only get to use 1.810 upwards.

Is it possible that I was hearing signals from the US? I had thought of 160 as being  sort of local band.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 08:53:56 AM »

Is it possible that I was hearing signals from the US? I had thought of 160 as being  sort of local band.

It's certainly possible.  Contest stations have exceptionally strong signals and conditions were quite good last night between England and  here in Maryland.  I've worked to have good 160m reception from my location but these stations were loud enough that I could probably have heard them on just a wire.

There is DX potential on 160m.  I've worked 131 countries there, and sometimes Europe comes in strong.  Here's a clip of Geoff, G3XGC sending his name and signal report to a stateside station:  http://n3ox.net/files/g3xgc_101307.mp3

I think one of the reasons it seems like a "local" band is because the DX is so much weaker than the locals 90% of the time and the locals are so strong.    It's not like 20m where you might have the same signal strength from mainland Europe and from the Midwest USA.  The DX is often  near the noise level, while the locals with even modest dipoles will have bone-crushing signals because local propagation is so good.  So you might not even try to listen for the signals at the noise level.  And the DX is almost all on CW anyway.  Every once and a while you'll find some SSB DX activity in the 1840-1850 frequency range but it's rare.

If you know to look for it, though, the DX is there.  My best DX distance-wise is Australia.  The bulk of my DX contacts have been with Europe, Carribean, and Central America.  I made a map of my 160m QSOs, most made over the past four years:

http://n3ox.net/files/N3OX_160QSO_013011.jpg

Most of the USA QSOs shown are from contests. 

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 09:58:56 AM »

Yes you heard signals from the US. Europe was working even the Western US both nights of the contest and conditions were not exceptional.

The SSB half of this contest - the CQ WW 160 meter contest - will be held Feb 25-27.

CONTEST RULES:  http://www.cq160.com/
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 10:13:06 AM by WX7G » Logged
WS4T

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 01:26:50 AM »

You might have heard some European stations in the 1800 to 1810 kHz window. I heard a few Europeans calling CQ there.

In Europe, the band was utterly packed above 1810 kHz. Maybe some frustrated hams, unfamiliar with their license terms, decided to exploit the more open space in the 10 kHz below the band limit.
DJ1YFK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 04:32:13 AM »

Unfortunately that's true.

There were some juicy multipliers like 3V8SS who operated below 1810kHz for most of the contest, which means that any EU calling them was out of band -- and there were plenty of them. In many cases it's probably ignorance of the band edges and license conditions, but in some cases I am sure that people called knowing they were out of band.

Luckily 3V8SS called us when we were CQing up in the band; and the other rare mult spotted below 1809 a few times, A62ER, was not audible here. :-)

PA3GVI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 12:56:10 AM »

PI4W was active for the second time in the CQ160CW contest.
Having not much time we had just putt up a 90 foot vertical, no beverages or other receiving antennas.
During two nights we worked very nice DX like, VP9, P4, XE, C6, HI, V3, JT, PJ2, many US stations.
In our greyline on sunday worked a bunch of West Coast stations, very nice!
Overal: 69 countries and 33 states/Prov.

73, Rob/PA3GVI
PI4W crew member

www.sitekreator.com/pa3gvi
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: