Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: movie with morse code in it .  (Read 7375 times)
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 03:22:23 PM »

Didn't the radio operator on the Titanic send "CQD" and not "SOS"? CQD being the distress call (hence the "D") at the time--before SOS was developed and replaced it.

As AE4RV points out, both CQD and SOS were used in the Titanic disaster. It wasn't the first time SOS was used, either; it had been adopted years earlier. It was "new" to the operators on Titanic because the Marconi Company they worked for had only recently adopted it.

Jack Phillips and Harold Bride were the two radio operators on Titanic. Technically they were not part of the ship's crew; the Marconi Company supplied the equipment and operators under contract to White Star.

Most ships of those days only carried one radio operator, but Titanic and her sisters carried two because of the high volume of passenger traffic.

Radio was so new and unregulated in 1912 that different companies had different procedures, equipment and methods. The Titanic disaster pointed out the need for more regulation and uniformity.

73 de Jim, N2EY

STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2011, 12:52:14 AM »

Jack Phillips and Harold Bride were the two radio operators on Titanic. Technically they were not part of the ship's crew; the Marconi Company supplied the equipment and operators under contract to White Star.

Very true, and this system was still used for many seagoing Radio Officers until GMDSS made them an option.
They were however part of the crew, as they would have been required to sign articles to join the ship, the same as all other crew members.

When I see modern ships with all the electronics, GPS navigation, Piloting software, I shudder to think what will happen when the inevitable solar flare comes along and fries the satellite systems and many terrestrial systems.
I hope those Deck Officers can still find the sextant and almanac to get back to shore.

73s
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 12:58:31 AM by STAYVERTICAL » Logged
UNCLELEVI

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2011, 03:09:32 AM »

In the movie "Independence Day" they send code right at the end to tell everyone how to down the alien ships.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: