Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flex-5000A CW Impressions  (Read 32692 times)
K3ROJ

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: January 07, 2013, 10:56:45 AM »

I really enjoy using my Flex5000A but CW was difficult to use with the sidetone delay etc.  I tried many things to make CW sound good but gave up.  Now I only use the CWX feature since I only operate during contests.  That solved my problem unless I operate faster than 30 WPM.  You would think Flex Radio had CW operators in mind when designing their rigs.  I must be doing something right since we have over 30,000 stations worked since getting my Flex Radio.
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2013, 11:51:51 AM »

I gave up on CW on the 5000A completely, sold it, and bought a Yaesu FTdx-5000 where CW works as it's supposed to.
N8FNR

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2013, 09:13:35 AM »

I use CWX that is built into PSDR to do CW on a daily basis for DXing with my Flex-5000 and could not be any happier. Of course I don't use an external key but do love the memories in CWX and actually enjoy using my keyboard. The memories are great in contests.

Recently I bought a Elecraft KPA-500 amp kit and find it and the 5000 to be a killer setup with my SteppIR vertical.

Put me down as a "True Flex FanboyTM" as I really love this rig. I sold a fully loaded TS-850SAT to help pay for it and never looked back. BTW my PC never crashes while running PSDR and I find it to be very stable.

Yeah, I know that according to some who lurk in this group that any Flex rig is the worst radio ever. According to them I should sell it and replace it with any other rig as a Flex is no better than one of these. http://www.mhs.ox.ac.uk/marconi/exhibition/7777.htm

Zack
N8FNR
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 09:26:19 AM by N8FNR » Logged
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2013, 09:46:48 AM »

I use CWX that is built into PSDR to do CW on a daily basis

Of course I don't use an external key but do love the memories in CWX and actually enjoy using my keyboard.

CWX and using a keyboard for CW is hardly "Real CW". It would not surprise me to see Flex Fanboys brag about using a CW Reader either.

Of course since you own a Flexradio there is no other acceptable way to do CW. Using ANY kind of CW key trying to do REAL CW will drive you bonkers on a Flexradio. And that is the truth!

Stan K9IUQ
N8FNR

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2013, 11:05:36 AM »

Stan, please define what "real CW". Is that using a straight key, bug, iambic or perhaps a spark rig? I looked for it on the web but could find not a definition.

At your leisure could you explain why using a keyboard is not "real"? If I use a keyboard for DX contacts is ok to have them verified by QSL or LOTW or are they not "real" either?

Zack
FlexFanBoy
N8FNR
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 11:35:57 AM by N8FNR » Logged
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2013, 01:55:52 PM »

Stan, please define what "real CW".

You wouldn't understand since you own a Flexradio...  Wink

Stan K9IUQ
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2013, 02:12:14 PM »

Stan, please define what "real CW". Is that using a straight key, bug, iambic or perhaps a spark rig? I looked for it on the web but could find not a definition.

Using CWX on CW would be the equivalent of using a voice keyer to engage in SSB QSOs.
N8FNR

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2013, 03:40:50 PM »

Using CWX on CW would be the equivalent of using a voice keyer to engage in SSB QSOs.

I admit that I am not the brightest guy and must have missed that section in the bestselling book "Hoowz to be a Gud Ham".
Please enlighten me as to what is real and the only way to do CW. That must mean that you cannot use a keyer with memories correct? Because that would be a lot like CWX right? And an iambic keyer helps make dots and dashes perfect and isn't that a crutch too? So that brings us to the straight key which apparently is the only thing a right thinking person can use. Am I missing anything here? Should I tell the ARRL LOTW folks to remove all of my confirmed QSO's in there because the are not real CW? Would that be the right thing to do?

Some hams use voice keyers in contests. Is that ok to use?

Stan, please define what "real CW".

You wouldn't understand since you own a Flexradio...  Wink

Stan K9IUQ

I guess if I owned a Yasicomwood I would see the light and follow the straight and narrow path to CW Heaven (location to be determined). But wouldn't I have to disable the keyer in one of those rigs to be admitted the Ham House of the Rightous?

And let's not even get started on the veracity of using the digital modes......

Zack
FlexFanBoyClub member #666
N8FNR

« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 04:04:15 PM by N8FNR » Logged
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2013, 04:26:53 PM »

I admit that I am not the brightest guy

I disagree, using CW on a Flexradio with a key a of any kind is not too bright. Since you use faux CWX you must be at least half bright.

Now ex Flexer W6UV (who started this thread) has been shown to be a Genius. He got rid of his Flexradio after putting up with the Flexradio CW nonsense for a couple of years and got himself a radio that does not have the Flexradio CW Problem. He bought himself a nice knobbed radio.

Now if you really want to have fun try using the Monitor on SSB with headphones. It has the same similar delay that plagues the CW mode. Because of the Flexradio Monitor delay I could never say a complete sentence. It is really weird to hear yourself talking with a delay in the headphones.

If the Flexradio was a great CW radio and Contest radio like the half bright Flexers tout, then Top Gun CW Contesters would use Flexradios. They do not. Even half bright Hams should be able to figure out why they do not.

Let me help you on this - Contesters are competitive and want to Win.

Stan K9IUQ

« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 04:35:55 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2013, 04:33:11 PM »

No-Coders love CWX and CW Readers.. It is the only way they can make CW QSOes.......

Stan K9IUQ
N8FNR

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2013, 05:54:16 PM »

No-Coders love CWX and CW Readers.. It is the only way they can make CW QSOes.......

Stan K9IUQ

Uhhhhh really! WOW! Too bad I took my Tech test at the Detroit FCC when the code was required. Does that mess with your reality?
Will other hams scorn me at Dayton and thrown corndogs at me now because of the CWX4EVR tattoo on my forearm?
Since I use CWX should I turn my license into the FCC for termination with extreme prejudice?

Just out of curiosity what rigs are worthy enough for use on Stanworld? Do they have transistors? Are digital modes accepted on your world?

N8FNR
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 06:01:09 PM by N8FNR » Logged
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2013, 06:08:02 PM »

Zack,

We're just ribbin' you now. You can use anything you want to send CW. In fact, I would much rather QSO with someone sending with CWX or a keyboard than someone abusing a bug.

But people who take their CW seriously will rib you for using a keyboard just like BMW enthusiasts will rib you for buying a bimmer with an automatic transmission.
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2013, 09:11:56 PM »

Stan, I have a question.  I have been reading your honest and candid posts since I got my Flex 3000 in May 2009.

Is it the CW delay that is the show-stopper that made you trade it in?  I agree that I observe the same behavior with mine, and cannot use MON when sending CW or even SSB.  I have to use the external side tone on my K5 keyer.  (This does make me wonder if the CW going out over the air is choppy like what I am hearing, but I suspect not).

Anyway, back to the question.  Stan, was it the CW issue that ultimately "broke the back of the camel with the last straw?"  Just wondering.  I am so enthralled by all the other features that I just chose to work around that one, even though I am 95% CW.  Maybe I am missing something else here.  I am Kenwood 520/480/570 and Yaesu FT817 for comparison, but I can't see going back (even though I keep the other rigs in the shack to fiddle with and remind me occasionally of nostalgia).
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: January 11, 2013, 04:36:19 AM »

Anyway, back to the question.  Stan, was it the CW issue that ultimately "broke the back of the camel with the last straw?"  Just wondering. 

No, it was many problems that ultimately made me decide to get rid of my Flex 5K. The RFI problems (which I conquered) the 160/80 cw spurs (which were finally fixed because of my constant complaining) the poor CW performance, the "focus problem" when doing contests and many other quirks. Having Flexradio modify my Radio to fix the spur problem and then sending it back to me without checking the radio (it came back not operational) did not help matters either. And the Flexboy's "ignore problems attitude" which is prevalent did not help my outlook either.

After 11 months of owning the Flex 5K I just decided the effort needed to appreciate the Flexradio was not worth the aggravation. I do not regret the decision in any way. I will never again own any radio with a Flexradio nameplate, however I believe other SDR's are in my future.

Stan K9IUQ
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: January 11, 2013, 05:29:44 AM »

I have to use the external side tone on my K5 keyer.  (This does make me wonder if the CW going out over the air is choppy like what I am hearing, but I suspect not).

Unfortunately you suspect wrong. I listened to my Flex 5K many times on CW with another (knobbed) Receiver. I sent cw macros into my dummie load and listened on the knobbed Receiver. Flexradio CW can be choppy and odd sounding. I believe this is because of the processing done by the computer and windows. It is not just a matter of a slight delay in the CW either. It is hard to describe but the CW will occasionally "stutter".

Try this yourself and make your own determination of how well the Flexradio sends CW. Send CW macros for several minutes and listen on a different knobbed receiver. Come Back and tell us what you think?

You results may vary from mine. Different computers will probably give different results. I tried these tests on 2 different computers and got similar results. One of the computers was a very Fast full blown i7 computer with extremely low DPCs and running Win 7...

CWX, CW macros or even using a key the Flexradio is not my idea of a CW Op's dream radio.

Stan K9IUQ
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: