Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Procedure after calling CQ With no Answer  (Read 4354 times)
W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2011, 03:04:09 PM »

Welcome to CW.  Youll find most hams go  around 13-18 wpm, so as your speed increases you will get more replies to your CQ.  Id reco that instead of CQing, to tune around for the many other guys calling CQ and pick one out closest to your speed and call him. 

Nothing beats practice.  DO you use a straight key, a bug or a keyer?  Practice getting the spacing between your dits and dahs as consistant as possible, emulating W1AW's spacing.

Push yourself and dont be afraid to make mistakes.  No such thing as perfection in cw, hi hi.
AE5QB

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2011, 07:09:34 PM »

Welcome to CW....DO you use a straight key, a bug or a keyer?  Practice getting the spacing between your dits and dahs as consistant as possible, emulating W1AW's spacing.

Thanks for the welcome.  I use a straight key for the most part as I want to get that up to about 15 or more WPM before moving on.  I do have the cwtouchkeyer which works really well and I am getting good at it, but I don't use it when working SKCC (which is most of the time) at the moment.  Using it I can easily outrun my receive abilities with it and then regret it when some replies well above my speed abilities.  I think I have my dit and dah spacing down pretty well. At least those I have worked tell me I have a good fist.  Maybe they are just being nice to the new guy. Smiley   

I have noticed that a lot of hams seem to run their words together.  Maybe it is just me but I have difficulty separating out the words so I just copy the characters and look for word separations later.  Is this as common an issue as it seems to be to me or do I just have a tin ear? When I listen to some hams it sounds like a continual stream of dits and dahs with no significant character or word spacing.
N3PDT

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2011, 07:37:16 PM »

No, you are correct in that there are a lot of operators that run their words, and characters, together. In the case of us slower and newer ops, I believe it's done unintentionally in an attempt to speed up a bit. As you gain more experience, it gets easier to copy less than perfect fists.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: