The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BAOFENG REPEATERS VHF  (Read 24194 times)
KK4YDR

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2016, 09:53:00 AM »

Show me a spectrum sweep up, to the 7th harmonic along with a 1/2 Fo sweep, before I believe it.

You do have the capability to do a full spectrum analysis don't you?

If you don't have the capability to provide spectrum plots of this device then you shouldn't be posting about this subject simply because the Boefengs are known for not passing FCC specs on harmonic and/or spurious emissions.

No one cares about spurious crap.... when the grid collapses and you are probably going to die because you are worried about spurious transmissions... sigh... There is nothing wrong with building a solar powered ammo can repeater for a mountain top when the grid goes down so you can stay alive. Laws mean jack squat to me and my family when I might be looking down the barrel of some tyrants gun. Sorry.

But in the meantime, yes I agree, it is important to ensure that while society is seemingly intact, as it is now, we do obey all laws and adhere to transmission and signal quality. Not to mention, unless you built a timer with an audio circuit to morse your callsign, then operation of this kind of repeater is unlawful, per the FCC. Not to mention how dirty the signals might be.
KD4YSH

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2016, 09:04:55 AM »

The page 74 of the QST shows the Baofeng showed good reports thank you for that info, yaesu and kenwood have over priced their radios when you can get a Baofeng for 28.00 well, you cannot even get a replacement battery for a kenwood for 50.00 go Baofeng and their mobil radios are also only 88.00, yes 88.00 can't beat it go baofeng......
K7EXJ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2016, 11:41:13 AM »

The page 74 of the QST shows the Baofeng showed good reports thank you for that info, yaesu and kenwood have over priced their radios when you can get a Baofeng for 28.00 well, you cannot even get a replacement battery for a kenwood for 50.00 go Baofeng and their mobil radios are also only 88.00, yes 88.00 can't beat it go baofeng......

Maybe you should have read the next two pages in that QST article...

73s de K7EXJ
Craig Smiley
K4JJL

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2016, 11:49:42 AM »

Spectrum analysis screenshots looked horrible.  IIRC, the 1st harmonic was like 10db over acceptable.

The #1 thing I look at when buying a handie scratchy is adjacent channel rejection.  First thing I do when I get a new radios is put it on the monitor and inject a signal.  If it buckles, it gets sold immediately.  I can't stand a radio with no selectivity.
KD5PKS

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2016, 10:36:45 AM »

Spectrum analysis screenshots looked horrible.  IIRC, the 1st harmonic was like 10db over acceptable.

The #1 thing I look at when buying a handie scratchy is adjacent channel rejection.  First thing I do when I get a new radios is put it on the monitor and inject a signal.  If it buckles, it gets sold immediately.  I can't stand a radio with no selectivity.

Can you describe your test setup? How far away is the adjacent channel and at what level do you consider it "buckling?
K4JJL

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2016, 02:04:53 PM »

I use my HP 8920A.  I set the radio on an arbitrary frequency in the middle of the radio's capabilities.  I then set the generator to a frequency 25k above (and later below).  I inject a -70dBm signal in the antenna port and see if it opens the squelch. 
KD5PKS

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2016, 02:15:40 PM »

Thanks. I'm interested in the shortcuts people use to do a quick qualifying of a piece of gear.
WB8VLC

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2016, 02:17:12 PM »

quote:The Baofeng has a built in duplexer and it does the separation and isolation I see many of these mounted in an ammo can and they do great for mountain top repeaters for a 5 watt machine. These guys are adding a solar panel and a sealed gel cell battery and these do a good job low power useage.

Tell me how they get a Duplexer in such a small HT?
Do you even know what a duplexer is, have you ever seen the size of even a 5 MEG separation, low power mobile Duplexer,, it is the size of several of these Boejunk UV-82'S combined?

And if you are the type of ham who doesn't care what spurious emissions your radio produces then maybe you should turn your license in to the FCC and find another hobby where you cannot interfere with others.

You can fantasize all you want to about SHTF and Zombie Apocolypse  and all this other Prepper nonsense but this has nothing to do with using a product that does not meet even basic FCC specifications at this time.

If the end  does come and I'm still around after the SHTF episode then I surely won't want to be playing cq cq with a boecrap or any radio for that matter.

If the stupid SHTF thing does occur then in no particular order I want water, food, shelter and a Couple of well endowed Blondes.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 02:23:52 PM by WB8VLC » Logged
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2016, 09:46:49 PM »

quote:The Baofeng has a built in duplexer and it does the separation and isolation I see many of these mounted in an ammo can and they do great for mountain top repeaters for a 5 watt machine. These guys are adding a solar panel and a sealed gel cell battery and these do a good job low power useage.

Tell me how they get a Duplexer in such a small HT?
Do you even know what a duplexer is, have you ever seen the size of even a 5 MEG separation, low power mobile Duplexer,, it is the size of several of these Boejunk UV-82'S combined?

And if you are the type of ham who doesn't care what spurious emissions your radio produces then maybe you should turn your license in to the FCC and find another hobby where you cannot interfere with others.

You can fantasize all you want to about SHTF and Zombie Apocolypse  and all this other Prepper nonsense but this has nothing to do with using a product that does not meet even basic FCC specifications at this time.

If the end  does come and I'm still around after the SHTF episode then I surely won't want to be playing cq cq with a boecrap or any radio for that matter.

If the stupid SHTF thing does occur then in no particular order I want water, food, shelter and a Couple of well endowed Blondes.
   There's a website for that!!!  Roll Eyes
W8MLS

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2016, 03:03:28 PM »

QST testing for 2015 only shows that 25% of Baofengs are compliant for spurious emissions.   Kenwood, Yaesu, and Icom  tested 100% compliant.  You do get what you pay for.   It is sad to see folks who have no respect for any standards.   
K6ECS

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2016, 01:19:02 AM »

We came across a guy in the Baofeng group on Facebook showing off a brief case filled with Baofeng's. When  asked why he said that he uses them on events that he's hired to do. But he also tinkers in ham radio without a license. That spurred me and others to question his commercial use. He has no license. The people that hire him do. Right. People that buy a commercial license usually own their own radios. Try again. You're right. No standards is right inline with illegal operation. I'm tired of hunting down interference only to find a crap repeater using junk radios.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: