Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can hear the repeater respond but no one can hear me  (Read 2314 times)
KD8UEI

Ignore
« on: September 14, 2014, 07:24:27 AM »

I am having the same problem as the OP in this thread: http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php?topic=79238.0 .

When I try using our local repeater, the repeater responds (I hear its tail sometimes even transmitting it's call sign in morse) but no one can hear me. The fact that I get a response from the repeater tells me that: 1. I have the correct offset (i.e., the correct repeater input freq.). and 2. I have the correct PL tone (otherwise my signal would be ignored).

I will admit that I live in a rural area about 10 miles from the repeater (no hills though) and that I am using an HT. Is it possible that my signal is just too weak to be heard but still strong enough to trigger the repeater?
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 07:42:12 AM »

no one can hear me.

Is that conclusion based on no one has responded to your "KD8UEI, monitoring" calls, or have you actually tried calling people you knew were on frequency or actively talking and they didn't respond?

Few hams will turn down a direct call, even if you're noisy but far fewer will respond to a "monitoring" call.  One option is to get another ham on the phone and coordinate a QSO that way.  Try other repeaters to maximize your odds.  Having a better antenna option handy like a mag mount or groundplane you can use to improve your signal would be something to work on in the mean time.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
KD8UEI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 03:41:41 PM »

Thanks. You might be right, and no one just answered me. I will know for sure tonight because we have our net. I did try a simplex and the radio performed, but I have to admit that the other operator was not far away.

That said, I did try to pick up my transmission on the repeater with my scanner, and I couldn't hear myself - same thing happened: the repeater opened up but all I heard was just a carrier there.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 04:30:08 PM »

I did try to pick up my transmission on the repeater with my scanner, and I couldn't hear myself

That's expected, due to desense of the scanner.  It won't be able to receive the repeater at microvolt levels when you're transmitting at millivolt levels just 600khz away.  Sounds like you're set, just need a QSO to prove it.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
KD8UEI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 06:53:50 PM »

Mark, I have to admit that you were 100% right. I took part in the net tonight, and got through. The net controller said that my signal was good except for some slight interference and he was surprised that I was on an HT. I live 15-18 miles from the repeater. So you were right and probably nobody was monitoring the repeater when I sought out a QSO. (I live in a rural area.)

Thank you for your quick response and advice!
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 11:51:49 AM »

Mark, I have to admit that you were 100% right. I took part in the net tonight, and got through. The net controller said that my signal was good except for some slight interference and he was surprised that I was on an HT. I live 15-18 miles from the repeater. So you were right and probably nobody was monitoring the repeater when I sought out a QSO. (I live in a rural area.)

Thank you for your quick response and advice!

If you use 2m on HT a lot get a 1/4 wave "duck" for it and it will a lot on fringes. Stock antenna is negative gain.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: