The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No. Cal. repeater activity?  (Read 22272 times)
JS6TMW

Ignore
« on: July 11, 2016, 07:21:39 PM »

I bought a HT to bring to California and loaded about 110 repeaters in five Bay Area counties. So when does anyone get on these repeaters? Sunday night I scanned and found a strong repeater signal on 70-cm. that was broadcasting a DR-related program from somewhere, and then one or two short conversations. Today I climbed up to one of the highest points in San Francisco but heard only a few burps. What am I doing wrong?

(PS - also listened and CQ'ed on 146.52 simplex with no results)

Steve in (from) Okinawa AI6KX
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 12:18:52 AM »

I bought a HT to bring to California and loaded about 110 repeaters in five Bay Area counties. So when does anyone get on these repeaters? Sunday night I scanned and found a strong repeater signal on 70-cm. that was broadcasting a DR-related program from somewhere, and then one or two short conversations. Today I climbed up to one of the highest points in San Francisco but heard only a few burps. What am I doing wrong?

That's unusual, there is usually more activity than that.  What time of the day were you listening?   If you can get down into the LA area, you'll find plenty of activity on the 435 repeater!   Shocked https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/14747/web
JS6TMW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 12:23:01 PM »

That's unusual, there is usually more activity than that.  What time of the day were you listening?   If you can get down into the LA area, you'll find plenty of activity on the 435 repeater!   Shocked https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/14747/web

Late afternoons/early evenings usually. I also heard some guys talking about maintaining their repeater but they didn't hear me when I called in.

Steve
KK2DOG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 09:39:27 PM »

Try some of the WV6F machines near Vacaville:
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=wv6f%20repeaters
JS6TMW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 05:14:40 PM »

Well, surprise surprise. Just got back to San Fran from Sonoma Co. and scanned, heard activity and QSO'ed K7DX in WA on a 442.6 repeater through a linked system.  I am much happier knowing it works.

Steve AI6KX
K6LO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 08:56:43 AM »

Next time through, Steve, there is the "C.A.R.L.A." linked system, and also the "WIN" system.  Both are quite active, especially the WIN system. Hard to travel anywhere in most of California without being able to access the WIN system.  Googling the names will get you the websites and frequencies. There are others also, but these two are quite active.  Both are predominately UHF, and open.  The WIN system can be a bit banal and chatty but is well run.  C.A.R.L.A. is friendly, but a bit more reserved.

73 - Luke
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: