Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Firefox vs MSIE 8 on eham  (Read 11452 times)
N4NYY

Ignore
« on: February 08, 2011, 03:03:51 PM »

No comparison. Firefox blows it away. I don't know what quagmire is in MSIE 8, but I was stunned at the difference since I installed Firefox this weekend. The biggest problem is have is the delayed keyboard and mouse function on MSIE 8. I am running XP.
KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 03:47:10 PM »

I have been using Firefox for years (IE totally suxs).  Had a friend bug and bug me to try Opera.  I switched a week ago and will not go back.  Memory usage of 700,000 with Ff on a XP machine vs 350,000 with Opera.

Mike
KB9TMP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 04:24:48 PM »

ANYTHING BUT IE8 I run Firefox, Opera, and sometimes Chrome. If you could combine the best parts of all three into one browser it would blow away everything.  Just imagine a browser with Chrome's speed, Firefox's add-ons and Opera's speed dial and page size control along with the mouse shortcuts like rightclick hold and left click to go back one page or left then right to go forward again. SLICK
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 03:15:30 PM »

You need to try FireFox's 4.0 beta. It can be found in 32 bit and 64 bit flavors and it is called "Minefield" which is name Mozilla uses for all of its new browser betas. 64 bit version really rocks and is very fast.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
N0SYA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 07:39:03 AM »

I gave up on ff a few years ago when they gave up some configurability I previously enjoyed and have been with ie since. No intention on going to another.

If you have a clumsy child, you make them wear a helmet. If you have death prone children, you keep a few clones of them in your lab.
KE5DFK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 02:48:03 PM »

By choice I would NEVER install IE any version on my computer.  I have been using Firefox for years and before that Netscape both have always been head and shoulders over IE.  Much faster with better custom options, much more secure, better addons, REAL Java.  If you really want to see 64bit speed, run Ff on ubuntu, you would be amazed how much faster Ff is on Ubuntu than on W?

Its like comparing a FT101 to a Flex 5K.

NO contest

Carlos
KE5DFK
K0RGR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 01:12:51 PM »

I use Chrome for almost everything. My second choice is Firefox, but I just get sick of it downloading new patches and updates almost every time I start it up. Chrome is also much less a resource hog.

As time goes on, I find myself migrating more and more of my stuff over to Google. Once I have everything I care about over there, Windows may go away entirely. It almost happened today - WinDoze did something very weird and I could not figure it out. I was going to restore back to the restore point I took yesterday, but Windows couldn't find it! So, I started looking into using my Norton Ghost backup. Apparently, Ghost doesn't like the backups it has been doing, either!
So, I was just about to scratch the whole thing and become a Linux user full time, but I managed to find a cure for WinBlows with Google.

I'm trying the WInDoze built-in backup system now. We'll see how it goes!
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 08:42:39 PM »

You've got to remember that IE is a Microsoft product, and like all Microsoft products, comes with the requirement that it interface with just about anything.  Firefox, Opera, and other browsers don't have that requirement, and purposefully leave out some of the more obscure interface software which does make them run better--9 out of ten times.

Having problems with IE8?  Try running compatibility mode.  That usually clears up a lot of the problems.

Oh!  And as for Chrome, there is all too much data that can be had from Chrome users, some of which you may not want to know about--or may not want to freely give out.  Chrome is nothing less than a backdoor to your surfing habits--something I think is none of Google's business.  You couldn't pay me enough to run Chrome on my machine!
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 07:37:05 AM »

You've got to remember that IE is a Microsoft product, and like all Microsoft products, comes with the requirement that it interface with just about anything.  Firefox, Opera, and other browsers don't have that requirement, and purposefully leave out some of the more obscure interface software which does make them run better--9 out of ten times.

It is not the interface per say it is more of MS's habit of over coding things and Active "x" and .net support that clogs it up a bit. I primary use FireFox and only use IE when a site needs it (ie for .net support)

Oh!  And as for Chrome, there is all too much data that can be had from Chrome users, some of which you may not want to know about--or may not want to freely give out.  Chrome is nothing less than a backdoor to your surfing habits--something I think is none of Google's business.  You couldn't pay me enough to run Chrome on my machine!

The real reason for Chrome is that Google plans to launch "Cloud Computing" in near future where apps are web based which is a area that MS does not control yet. Chrome will be the "Front end" app for this. As far as snooping, Google (and everyone else) does that every time you use their search engines and many web sites snoop too.

It is real easy to just get basic info on you. Link below show how easy it is to get your IP, ISP and some other basic info. There are other ways of gathering far more info.

http://snoopmyip.com/index.php?pagina=0

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 05:02:14 AM »

It is not the interface per say it is more of MS's habit of over coding things and Active "x" and .net support that clogs it up a bit. I primary use FireFox and only use IE when a site needs it (ie for .net support)

And the reason for that is the government, which, in its decision against Microsoft a few years ago said that Microsoft had to make their web browser compatible with many different apps that it wouldn't run before.

The real reason for Chrome is that Google plans to launch "Cloud Computing" in near future where apps are web based which is a area that MS does not control yet. Chrome will be the "Front end" app for this.

Google wants to take Microsoft's place as the leading internet browsing platform--and they have had a bad habit of snooping for information for years.  Chrome has just brought that all to a head.  I don't mind one bit that Google does this--as long as there was a fast, easy way to turn off their snooping.  There is a way, but it is neither fast, easy--or complete.  THAT is why I think Chrome is a bad choice as a browser.

As far as snooping, Google (and everyone else) does that every time you use their search engines and many web sites snoop too.

It is real easy to just get basic info on you. Link below show how easy it is to get your IP, ISP and some other basic info. There are other ways of gathering far more info.

Again, that gives you basics, but not names, addresses (not just IP) and browsing habits--all of which Chrome does.  If you don't mind that, then go right ahead and use it.  I DO mind it, which is why I won't. 
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 08:52:07 AM »

And the reason for that is the government, which, in its decision against Microsoft a few years ago said that Microsoft had to make their web browser compatible with many different apps that it wouldn't run before.

Actually it was because they were forceing browser on other and trying to force a standard change. For 7 years they fought with Sun over try to remold Java with MS specific code and lost so not MS not longer really supports Java themselves but they have to provide programing to allow java to be installed properly. MicroSoft did suceed somewhat with their .net standard which was created after the loss to Sun as a standard that they control. MS is still stuck on Active X for main stream rather than Java some this is why some site may look different because MS would like to own Internet too. MS does not like the concept of a Java app looking and running the same on any platform as that kinda defeats OS somewhat.

The real reason for Chrome is that Google plans to launch "Cloud Computing" in near future where apps are web based which is a area that MS does not control yet. Chrome will be the "Front end" app for this.

Google wants to take Microsoft's place as the leading internet browsing platform--and they have had a bad habit of snooping for information for years.  Chrome has just brought that all to a head.  I don't mind one bit that Google does this--as long as there was a fast, easy way to turn off their snooping.  There is a way, but it is neither fast, easy--or complete.  THAT is why I think Chrome is a bad choice as a browser.

Well Google built on what AOL started, collecting data and selling it to advertisers. There is a few very nice add ons for FireFox that will block tracking and info collecting.

As far as snooping, Google (and everyone else) does that every time you use their search engines and many web sites snoop too.

Again, that gives you basics, but not names, addresses (not just IP) and browsing habits--all of which Chrome does.  If you don't mind that, then go right ahead and use it.  I DO mind it, which is why I won't. 

Check out this link as it gives more info and there are more than give even more but this one gives hints as to how to crack into a system

http://centralops.net/asp/co/BrowserMirror.vbs.asp

W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 09:55:07 PM »

I have made my living on the Internet for many years, and so help me, there is NOTHING better than Firefox. :-)

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 06:31:10 AM »

I have made my living on the Internet for many years, and so help me, there is NOTHING better than Firefox. :-)

No argument there!  But, I made my comments about Chrome, as I recall.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 08:24:30 AM »

I love FireFox but find I cannot use it 100% of time because there is still some sights that require IE to render properly. (I think this is no accident either) I have found several site that will not render in Chrome yet play well in FireFox too

W9CW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 06:30:59 AM »

I have the four major browsers on this PC: IE, Firefox, Chrome, and Opera.   I never use IE... use Firefox most of the time, but have been using Chrome more and more.  I also like Opera very much, but sometimes it doesn't render some sites well.  Interestingly, Opera is the most standards compliant browser, but it goes to show you the power of IE in the marketplace - the 800 lb. gorilla. Practically all sites are written to render correctly in IE first, rather than strictly adhering to the web standards.  Since Opera abides by these standards, sometimes the sites don't render well.  Many of the features now found in the other browsers were first implemented by Opera. 

Opera's footprint is also much smaller than its competitors.  As I said, I primarily use Firefox, but am becoming concerned with its footprint and bloat.  Firefox reminds me of Adobe Acrobat Reader in its constant upward mobility in bloatness!  LOL...  that's why I view all PDFs with Foxit Reader nowadays.   Much, much smaller and faster than Acrobat Reader, but that's a subject for another thread.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: