Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Paper... tons of it... what to do with it?  (Read 3603 times)
KE4JOY

Ignore
« on: February 09, 2011, 07:14:22 AM »

Okay after a decade or two my office is closing down and I will be joining the ranks of the unemployed.

Rather than dwelling on the sad state of the economy and its personal impact I have a question.

We have paper, lots of paper. Catalogs, rolls of drawings, old files and on and on.

Quite literally TONS of paper.

I don't really want to just toss it in a dumpster somewhere nor do I want to have to pay to dispose of it.

I thought maybe it has 'scrap' value but honestly I don't have a clue.

Any ideas.
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 08:02:53 AM »

I'm sorry to hear about your office closing down, I hope you find something soon.

Is there recycling around? If so is there a way to arrange for a pickup? I guess the other option would be to somehow bring it all to a recycling center if they can't come to you.
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 09:06:31 AM »

I second that, recycle it!  Some charities will recycle paper.  You may want to check with the Make A Wish foundation or other charities in your area.
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 10:39:01 AM »

Most cities nowdays have some sort of recycling program that is related to their trash removal programs. If your city picks up your trash I am shure that they will pick up your recyclable trash also. You probably just need to put it all out in front of you property and the will pick it up. I would call them first.
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 11:01:54 AM »

Heh I don't think they would appreciate a pile of trash and papers about the size of a school bus.

Yes it really is that much.

The 'recycle' pepole want to charge a fee to take it away. Were already broke and trying to shed liabilities.
KC8IUR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 11:18:04 AM »

There is no monetary value in recycling paper. Recycling anything but metal or glass costs more than just refining new product.
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 02:30:23 PM »

Craig's List?

Best from Tucson
Bob
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 08:52:19 PM »

hi,

you may have no choice but to haul it off yourself to
the county recycling facility, about $100 a ton tip fee
from your county solid waste website.

if you lease the office you may have to pay
the owner or management company to haul it off and
that will be more expensive then if you take care of it
yourself or pay to have it done.

73 james
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 08:42:24 AM »

My company generates a fair amount of confidential paper that can't be simply "dumpstered." I bring it home in record boxes, and pile them in the basement. IRS requires that much of our trash be retained for years.  It's a significant fire hazard right under our bedrooms.

Every few years we pay about $350 to have a mobile shredding company destroy the oldest stuff at our home. Not cheap. 

BTW, Our bank started offering a neat service. About once a year they will shred paper for free.

No... it's not Bank of America or Wachovia!
NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 01:47:29 PM »

We once purged our office of a few tons of out of date documents - stuff so old that the buildings were sometimes no longer even standing.  Filled 6 containers over the course of a week or two.  All this BS about 'paperless offices' is just that.

Actually, they recycle a lot of paper, but IIRC, anything like blueprints/Blueline paper cannot, so you may get away with separating the value.  You should contact a local hauler and see what they can/will do for you.  A one-time container trip may be worth it.

Old catalogues?  I recycled 200 of them once.  I put an add on Craigslist for the 3-ring binders and put all the contents in the recycling bins.

Sorry about your job.
KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 03:08:09 PM »

This is the grim reality of recycling.  You have a commodity that has value only if someone in the area can use it.  Paper can be reused, but must be stored, separated, and transported.  I have heard of companies that use shredded paper for packing material.  In the end you will find it an expense to dispose of it.  Myself, I recycle wood pallets.  I live in the sticks and pallets make great bonfires.

Mike
KC8OYE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 05:38:57 PM »

save it and burn it for heat... you may need it.
K2FOX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 09:35:50 AM »

save it and burn it for heat... you may need it.

If that's supposed to be funny, it's really not.

Tom, sorry to hear about the loss of your job. I've been there and it's no fun. Good luck finding a new one soon.
KC8OYE

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 10:30:21 AM »

no, it wasn't meant to be funny.
not having a job. and the rising costs of energy.. it might be wise to keep it for burning..
KG4YMC

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 07:44:45 PM »

they used to sell this device that you could roll  newspapers  and make paper logs for the fireplace out of. guess concern would be burning toxix paper, but If  I have fireplace  and cold forget enviromental correctness, just an option. good luck on job search , after two years, I finally got full time at wa mart. Janitor maintaince, I have worked 34 years in photgraphy , but a job a a job, take what you can get, state pensions aren't safe either under our " great scott' gov . so can relate... good luck , be praying for you , Kg4ymc
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: