Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do people tune on the DX station's CQ frequency?  (Read 4623 times)
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 03:56:46 PM »

Well, there is absolutely no need to have to tune exactly to the freq anyway.  

And even if there were, these idiots are very often tuning on the DX station's transmit frequency while the DX station is working SPLIT.

I don't advocate tuning up in the middle of the pileup either, but it's what you should do if you have an irrational compulsion to be tuned up where you're going to be calling Grin

Sadly, all the solutions to this problem have to presuppose that the person doing this is actually capable of recognizing that they're causing a problem.  That's really unlikely.

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
VE3FDT

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 05:50:41 AM »

Just a quick summary of responses as I interpret them.

Tuning on someone's CQ frequency happens for any or all of the following reasons:
1. Malice.
2. Ignorance.
3. Intrinsic inability to think (a.k.a. stupidity).
4. Reasons unknown and unfathomable.

Clearly the consensus is that nothing constructive can be done about it, hence the suggested course of action should be:
1. Ignore it.
2. Disregard it.
3. Forget it.

Last but not least. The Oscar for the best performance in comedy goes to N0SYA for his "why are all the DX stations on the national tune-up frequency?"

Thanks to all for your responses. But truth be told, I am as ignorant on the subject as when I first asked the question.
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2011, 04:20:27 PM »

A lot of these what I like to call T.U.T.s (Tune Up Turkeys) think if they don't get that amplifier tuned down to a gnat's ass exactly on the freq where they want to use it, then it won't work right. Many seem to think (by their idiotic actions) that their amplifier final tank circuitry has zero bandwidth therefore requiring spot on tune ups. I agree with your suggestion of pop down the band a bit outside the active bandwidth, listen and do a quick tuneup. Should take less than 10 seconds to completely preset and tune the amp after a band change. To expedite my operating, I have my starting points for each band/mode my amp covers on a small chart. I preset the LOAD and PLATE to the chart and then if necessary I can tweak the controls during the first couple of calls to the DX in the pileup. No one is bothered and life is good.

One other thing beside the TUTs that I completely abhor is the damn retarded jackass's that think they are God's gift to ham radio by policing the DX frequency for any operating discrepancies. These so called "Freq Police" do more harm than good in most instances and should have their licenses cancelled and they themselves fined by the FCC.  Angry

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 04:36:09 PM »

The biggest problem is the dummy load between the ears of far too many amateurs. Umm, maybe I should say appliance operators, rather than amateurs!?

G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2011, 01:48:47 AM »

K0BG

Well said!
K5JZ

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2011, 03:55:14 AM »

Breaking it down to fundamentals... some people are just arseh*les. You meet them in everyday life... and unfortunately... some are hams.

George K5JZ
N0SYA

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2011, 04:53:53 PM »

http://politicalmonkey2010.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/farside.jpg

If you have a clumsy child, you make them wear a helmet. If you have death prone children, you keep a few clones of them in your lab.
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2011, 06:13:55 PM »

Very nice.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: