Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dissappointed with the hobby and clubs so far  (Read 189832 times)
KD8DEY

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: January 31, 2012, 08:49:31 PM »

Hi Gang,
Bob, Rick and all.
My good friend and DARA Pres. Don N6JRL alerted me to this situation earlier this evening. (thanks Rick) We had not heard about this...and I am usually made aware quickly.

I live in Kettering (good in the callbooks)
I admit that I have not read all of the comments on this thread yet.
However, I understand that Bob might need a hand getting some aluminum put back up and a coax splice performed.
Not a problem! I hate when my neighbor runs over my coax...grrrrr! worse when I do it  Grin
Feel free to contact me directly @ kb8ocp@yahoo.com
or forums@hamvention.org
I have a 13 ele 2m beam sitting in my barn that you are welcome to. We can also figure out a way to get you on HF if you desire.
Don't give up on you local clubs....I quit DARA some years back....but I finally woke up and realized that
I could be, and affect, the changes I wanted to see.
I will be recruiting a work crew this Friday at the meeting.
You will be full quieting into the machines and 10 over 9 soon Bob. I promise!
de
Dave Kalter KB8OCP

That would be great to be able to get back on the air again BUT the crew could get scared away by my pointy roof. They might want to check out my street view on google earth before committing. My call is good on yahoo

KB8OCP

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: January 31, 2012, 09:39:16 PM »

Fear not Bob, Cool
The guys I have in mind include a professional roofer,
a couple of Marines  and 1 crazy guy (me) ok, well maybe 2 crazy guys...I will let you figure out who..
but I will give you a hint ...his call is WB8QZZ! Wink
Now that guy is well...Anyway, my job is, as I promised you, is to get you back on the ham bands. N6JRL will be on the team (cause I said so! hi hi) that cazy Marine went to an Island in Antarctica to play radio (3Y0X) look it up,(that's crazy) it's pretty famous. He might land on you roof from above hi hi.

While you wait for this motley crew of misfit hams to
whip tar into you mangled aluminum,and molding
coax....
Go visit Don And my Youthdx.org website.
And please enjoy my good friend Bob Heil's Hamnation on Twit tv. Some of our Kids are interviewed on Episode #25.
( yep that was in my shack, I am so proud of those kids!)
Trust me Bob, Fixing your Antennas is easy peasy!
We will GATER DONE! and we ain't your normal Larry the cable guys!
Looking forward to meeting you Bob, but I suspect, we probably already have!
de
Dave Kalter KB8OCP
KB8OCP

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: January 31, 2012, 11:32:07 PM »

They have an electronic gate with keypad at the driveway so there is no driving up to knock on the door and nobody ever came out. Just for giggles I took a photo of their big stone with the engraving with the cell phone I had at the time.

Bob, I forgot to invite you to the DARA Club meeting this Friday.
You mentioned that you car was broken.
I will pick you up and bring you home. The meeting starts at about 7:00
at the Kettering Rec-center. Shall I pick you up around 6:00??
 Friday,You will have a membership card and a programmed key fob that will allow you
key-swipe access to the gate and club station.(my treat) So that you can enter at your pleasure.
DARA is the finest radio club in the world! All are welcome!
We need more positive thinkers and doers in the club Bob.
Awaiting your e-mail or your response here.

Dave Kalter

KB8OCP

Dayton HamventionĀ® Forums Chairman

http://www.hamvention.org/

Youth DX Adventure Co-Founder

http://www.youthdx.org/

KD8DEY

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: February 01, 2012, 12:23:51 AM »

Friday,You will have a membership card and a programmed key fob that will allow you
key-swipe access to the gate and club station.(my treat) So that you can enter at your pleasure.
Does that mean that I am being "Drafted" into the club ?? Smiley

Bob, I forgot to invite you to the DARA Club meeting this Friday.
You mentioned that you car was broken.
I will pick you up and bring you home. The meeting starts at about 7:00
at the Kettering Rec-center. Shall I pick you up around 6:00??

I Appreciate the invite. My wife has Dialysis Mon-Wed-Fri in the evenings and her ambulette doesn't bring her home until anywhere between 6:15-7:pm depending how late her session runs and if her ambulette is running  +/- on time.

The only times I can get out is when we arrange for somebody to be here with her unless it's a short time or she is at an appointment. I'm usually stuck here with her grandson. ,
KB8OCP

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: February 01, 2012, 12:51:35 AM »

Does that mean that I am being "Drafted" into the club ??
Yep, consider yourself a member!
I will take care of your sign-up and stuff at the Friday meeting.
The only times I can get out is when we arrange for somebody to be here with her unless it's a short time or she is at an appointment. I'm usually stuck here with her grandson

I understand.....the invite stands if you get someone to cover for you.
just let me know....even late Friday afternoon.
Your DARA dues are covered and I will get the key fob (gate & club station keys) to you shortly.
Dave Kalter KB8OCP
KC7MF

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: February 01, 2012, 09:03:32 AM »

DAVE!.  Wow.  What a response! You guys are really stepping up to the plate.  THIS is what the hobby is all about and it makes me proud to be a ham.  If I should be able to break away for the Hamvention this year I am going to shake you guys' hands off.

Way to go.  

Thanks!

Rick

KE7UXE
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 09:05:03 AM by KE7UXE » Logged
KD8DEY

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: February 01, 2012, 10:46:14 AM »

DAVE!.  Wow.  What a response! You guys are really stepping up to the plate.  THIS is what the hobby is all about and it makes me proud to be a ham.  If I should be able to break away for the Hamvention this year I am going to shake you guys' hands off.

Way to go.  

Thanks!

Rick

KE7UXE

Yep, Definitely above and beyond anybody's expectations. I'm pretty much speechless at this point.
All I can do is Humbly accept and say thank you everybody for your help.
K3WEC

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: February 01, 2012, 04:30:14 PM »

Wow this is fantastic!   I resorted to emailing hams listed on QRZ in the area, and was not getting the response wanted even with persistence.   Way to go!

Bob, if you get set up on HF sometime I will look forward to working you from the Lone Star State!

Dave - all I can say is that I'm very impressed.  Hat's off.  Wish I had a club in the area with your club's attitude.   This thread should be "stickied" as the way things should go!

Bill
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 04:32:50 PM by K3WEC » Logged
KD8DEY

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: February 03, 2012, 07:09:22 PM »

I wonder how the meeting went and what the outcome was... Probably still going on. Get a bunch of hams around a radio and a HUMONGOUS set of antennas.......... Smiley

So was I voted in? Whats the secret handshake?

Out of curiosity does the club have a technical library or a "Lab"?
I'm anxious to find out.... Smiley
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 11:21:27 PM by KD8DEY » Logged
KC7MF

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: February 05, 2012, 01:52:58 PM »

Did you hear anything from the club?  I thought you might be up and running pretty soon.
KD8DEY

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: February 05, 2012, 02:41:09 PM »

Did you hear anything from the club?  I thought you might be up and running pretty soon.

I havn't heard from the club itself BUT I Have heard from Dave via E-mail. Looks Like I'm a DARA member Smiley
AND I will be back on the air SOON!!

Just finished sending Dave a E-mail so we could work out the particulars Smiley
Thanks Again Everybody
Robert
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: February 07, 2012, 04:35:57 AM »

Glad things worked out!  It sounds like there is plenty of good will being spread around there--wish I was there too!!  73!
KD8DEY

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: February 07, 2012, 03:55:25 PM »

Well, I just got to meet Dave and Don and they have "Scoped out" the situation.

They have commitments this weekend But are pretty confident they can get me back on VHF/UHF by salvaging my antenna the following weekend. Smiley  Even loaned me a copy of the operators manual to browse through.

They have a Comet vertical I can use to get on HF till the weather gets warmer and I can figure out something a little better. Smiley I don't think they liked the look of the different lines around the property either.

I have been thinking about a 6m loop for the roof or Attic if I could find a way to run a cable down to the basement BUT that is for another time. I'm just happy looking forward to soon being able to get back on the air.

I need to get more active than I have been now that I am at home taking care of the wife instead of work/school.

Dave is into Boat anchor work and I think he was trying to hide a bit of drool when he saw the Hallicrafters.

Maybe when time/money permits I will suck,,,,er I mean try to talk him into helping me finish going through it and get it on the air for Boat anchor nights......

By the look of things I will probably be back on the air the weekend after Valentines Day.
KC7MF

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: February 07, 2012, 06:30:46 PM »

So here is the real deal.  It looks like DARA showed us that they are still the real thing...One of, if not THE, premier club in the country. 

After I wrote to their President Don, N6JRL, I did some looking and it sure seems that they have a lot going on.  Read about Dave Kalter, KB8OCP, and his Youth DX Adventure.  Maybe a couple of us could put some money in their kitty and help these kids have the trip of a lifetime.  http://www.qsl.net/n6jrl/

It looks like there is a lesson for all clubs here.  Sometimes people slip through the cracks despite our best intentions.  So, it is up to all of us to keep our eyes and ears out for people who need a hand.  What the DARA people are doing for Bob is exactly what the spirit of amateur radio is all about.  It is not a sport, a gear collector's guild, a private club with a secret code or a political organization.  It is called the Amateur Radio Service for a reason.  We serve our communities and our country when called upon and we serve each other every day. 

There isn't a one of us who has not pondered what we would do if we heard an SOS.  There is not a one of us who would not consider it an honor and a privilege to use our skills and our training to serve someone in danger.  Helping people like Bob is just an extension of this spirit. 

If clubs around the country would look a little harder they would find opportunities like this to help a fellow ham close at hand.  Every club should have an outreach manager whose job it is to look for opportunities to serve. Every club should devote a night a year to calling all of the hams in the area and inviting them to participate in the club.  The person taking roll call every month should look to see who has missed a couple of meetings and drop them a call to see if they are alright and let them know that they are missed.  Getting that call feels really good. 

I know something else good that will come of this.  When things get a little less hectic for Bob he will be the one stepping up and helping the next one of us who needs a little helping hand.  And we will, most of us, need it someday.  He knows how good it feels to realize that the people of his club honor and value him and want him to be amongst a group of friends who know that they will all be better off for his unique contribution to the group.  So he will loan a new kid his old antenna tuner, visit a fellow ham in the hospital, help with kids day or when that winning power-ball ticket comes in send a whole busload of those kids off to Costa Rica with Dave. 

This thread is titled "Disappointment with the hobby and clubs so far".  For Bob 'so far' is over.  I hope there are tons of club members who will take Bob's story to their next meeting and read it to the assembled masses.   As long as there are clubs like DARA, led by people like Don, with members like Dave and his crew,  ham radio will not be on the decline.  It will just be getting better and better.  I sincerely hope that everyone who reads this will stop by the DARA booth at the Hamvention next year and pat whoever happens to be there on the back. 
KD8DEY

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: February 07, 2012, 09:21:25 PM »

Yup, DARA is really going above and beyond for a (former) non member that nobody really knew. Being such, with only a few radio acquaintances, and not a whole lot of operating time makes it a bit awkward to seek help.

I'm pretty much still a Noobie that just happens to enjoy playing around with electronics. Still much to learn about accepted operating practices and liable to make a few mistakes.

Now, Not am I only in what looks to be a very active club, I will be able to get back on the air and perhaps make some new friends along the way. Maybe a pal or 2 that likes to tinker with old radios etc.

If I have a "sitter" for my wife, I have been invited to help out for Hamvention, even been "offered" the opportunity to run one of the golf carts...... I don't know what my wife's aide's schedule will be so I am playing it by ear.

Since my last employer bent me over after 9 years service when I got sick/terminated under emergency medical leave is the outside security company they use, wouldn't that be a HOOT for their owner or supervisor to run across me working the event Smiley

I wonder if DARA lets members go dumpster diving for lost treasures.........
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 09:27:15 PM by KD8DEY » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: