Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dissappointed with the hobby and clubs so far  (Read 169156 times)
KD8DEY

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: February 16, 2012, 11:22:12 AM »

Looks like I'm hosting a party (Antenna) Sunday morning Smiley
KC7MF

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: February 17, 2012, 06:46:49 PM »

Outstanding!

Let us know how it goes!
KE4YOG

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: February 17, 2012, 07:24:09 PM »

I will be hosting an antenna party in mid march. After 16 years of being licensed I finally joined a club. I was inactive for about 10 years due to getting married and not upgrading and not having the time. Now that I am seperated soon to be divorced I took the time to upgrade on October 1. I think being in a club helps a good bit.
KD8DEY

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: February 19, 2012, 10:57:03 AM »

Mine eyes have seen the glory Smiley

How many people can claim to have seen the President of a major ham radio association
walking around on a roof while the son of the chairman of the biggest event in ham radio is assisting AND the chairman himself is doing the "Ground work"

YUP I'm back on the air. There is still some stuff to be done. The VHF/UHF antenna is rigged up temporarily till good straps can be located AND they have loaned me a comet 250b till I can come up with something.

DARA is really coming through for me.

BUT I gotta ask. How many clubs can claim they have a president this active out in the field?
HECK, I even got to watch him "field dress" and solder connectors onto fresh coax using a butane torch and a pocket knife.

Too bad they were pressed for time. They didn't have time to try out the shack or help themselves to some quick grub. Now I got a whole other problem. What am I to do with all this Chili brewing. 2 pots, one mild for the wife, & another one spicy for myself.

between mixing the 2 you could have about any level of heat you wanted.
Good thing I didn't have time to make the cornbread.......But then again, A fresh jug of Buttermilk and THAT wouldn't go to waste around here Smiley

Well , there's always the freezer......
KC7MF

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: February 19, 2012, 05:50:55 PM »

How cool is this?  Just about as cool as you can get!  I am glad you are up and running.

I sure hope that a bunch of clubs were following this thread.  We can all learn from DARA.  They really stepped up to the plate!

KD8DEY

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: February 19, 2012, 05:57:08 PM »

PS
If Dave is reading this, Don forgot his pliers!!!

PPS
(I sent Dave a message that I was holding the pliers hostage but I havn't heard from him.
I hope he didn't take it wrong)

Since Don is a retired Marine I was hoping they would stop by for a quick rescue mission.
Semper FI.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 08:41:13 AM by KD8DEY » Logged
K3WEC

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: February 20, 2012, 06:23:26 PM »

AND they have loaned me a comet 250b till I can come up with something.

So what HF bands will you be working?   Smiley
KD8DEY

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: February 20, 2012, 06:54:24 PM »

AND they have loaned me a comet 250b till I can come up with something.

So what HF bands will you be working?   Smiley

Last night I got with my buddy in cincy and we tried to contact each other from 80-10m
no luck...even tried 2m SSB.

Only way we were able to hook up was on a 2m repeater.
Dunno if we are over shooting each other or what??

We were hoping to be able to either be able to hook up on HF or simplex.

6 years ago when I first got into radio I was working security. to pass some time my buddy and i were talking on a seldom used repeater and had a run in with a repeater nazi.

Been working on setting up HRD looking for up to date lists for digital modes and up to date repeater lists. I still need to hook up with somebody on SSB so I can adjust the Mic before I try setting up the volume levels on the sound card for Digital modes.

Some of the repeaters have gone to DStar while I was off and a couple appear to be gone.

OARC will probably come out with a new list during hamvention BUT they are not entirely accurate. Some of the Calls and pl tones etc are wrong which is suprising since it is the Ohio Amateur Repeater Council........

PS
Have you seen the thread view count lately?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 07:18:12 PM by KD8DEY » Logged
K3WEC

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: February 20, 2012, 07:14:18 PM »

Last night I got with my buddy in cincy and we tried to contact each other from 80-10m

Yeah, radio waves are weird.  

RE: Thread count - you are one popular guy!
KD8DEY

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: February 20, 2012, 07:20:26 PM »

Yeah, radio waves are weird.  

RE: Thread count - you are one popular guy!

[Blush] Aw geez [/Blush]
Got a little while before I gotta check on "She whom must be obeyed" so I am parked on 3815 at the moment.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 07:28:55 PM by KD8DEY » Logged
G1YGJ

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: February 21, 2012, 04:58:48 AM »

Try Echolink, it's always friendly and you get to chat to loads of interesting people. The "Irish Conference Server" on Node 7125 is particularly good. I monitor it most of the time when I'm in the shack. Give me a call!
KD8DEY

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: February 22, 2012, 08:36:15 AM »

Try Echolink, it's always friendly and you get to chat to loads of interesting people. The "Irish Conference Server" on Node 7125 is particularly good. I monitor it most of the time when I'm in the shack. Give me a call!
I have Clearwire wireless internet service which isn't the best.

Connection speeds vary by weather and the amount of leaves on the trees between me an their tower.

I can get online But if I want to watch a online video I have to download it with a utility or put up with constant freezing.

On a lighter note since getting the antennas up I have made some local contacts on 2m SSB /10m SSB Smiley
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 08:42:41 AM by KD8DEY » Logged
K3WEC

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: February 22, 2012, 07:58:34 PM »

On a lighter note since getting the antennas up I have made some local contacts on 2m SSB /10m SSB Smiley

That's great. I wish I could find some local 10m SSB activity in the Dallas area.  Maybe it's there and I just miss it.   
K8KAS

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: March 03, 2012, 06:54:32 AM »

First 2 meters and the repeater club crap is not Ham radio. Your wasting your time, get on HF and start building or learning something technical so you have a bit of knowledge to chat with. I have been a Ham for over 50 years and if clubs and 2 meters was it I would have been gone in a year, to me they were a bunch of old ladies crabbing about nothing or how to spend the $500 bucks in the club coffers...Denny K8KAS 73
KD8DEY

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: March 03, 2012, 03:00:13 PM »

First 2 meters and the repeater club crap is not Ham radio. Your wasting your time, get on HF and start building or learning something technical so you have a bit of knowledge to chat with. I have been a Ham for over 50 years and if clubs and 2 meters was it I would have been gone in a year, to me they were a bunch of old ladies crabbing about nothing or how to spend the $500 bucks in the club coffers...Denny K8KAS 73

They have repeaters on SSB 2m?? 10m isn't HF??? I thought VHF started around 50MHz.

I only needed 3 quarters to get my associates in computers and electronics before I had to drop classes to take care of my bedridden wife.

The PC boards I drew by hand along with the occasional dry transfer and etched, The project kits I have built along the way....... Transceiver repairs over the years (not talking about just wiring up a microphone but actual troubleshooting/parts replacement) before I ever took an electronics class or became a ham...

Yes I have plugged a few circuits into a proto board and hooked them up to an O-Scope (Yes I have one on my personal bench at home)
Boy what was I thinking...............

Of course none of that counts since I'm just a general lite

PS
DARA seems to be a lot more than just a "Repeater Club"
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 03:39:15 PM by KD8DEY » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: