Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dissappointed with the hobby and clubs so far  (Read 190194 times)
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: October 17, 2013, 09:22:50 AM »

Unfortunately the so called "Hobby" is now geared to instant shack equipment (business and profit) instead of learning the hobby from the ground up. This goes hand in hand with the three classes of memorized answer learners permits issued by the FCC. As far as present day and future "Clubs" are concerned one previous poster stated that they will be in the form of specific niches within the hobby which I believe to be true. About four years ago after 43 years QRT I got re licensed and attended a local area radio club meeting, after being introduced all around the first and only two questions asked of me were 1) do you have 2 meter capability and 2) are you willing to work on the club's repeater tower. Needless to say during the first break I left, never to return. Since then myself and a few other local QRPers get together for weekend outings and assist each other with antenna projects, our own little unofficial niche club where everyone is happy and no positions or titles allowed.
WZ3O

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: October 18, 2013, 06:03:03 AM »

I see newbies getting frustrated. It happens in all facets of life, not just Hamdom. This doesn't mitigate your concerns, it does however limit your enjoyment of the hobby. My 2¢s, listen and learn, read, investigate, dig into a topic you have questions about on the internet, etc. I've been in your shoes not that long ago, Club was dysfunctional until "management" changes, we do more now in one month than the previous years in total.There are many prior members returning, adding to the diversity, with good humor at functions and outings. Also, when I was a newbie I was close to saying , well you know, but one ham sparked me to study and pass General then Extra opening up a world of contacts. Try different modes, Digital will allow you to work the world even when phone has poor propagation.  Get on HF & spin the dial, jump in when you see the opportunity, say "contact" or find a clear freq and call CQ. So don't worry over the LIDS out there, go forward, dismiss the dimwits out there. Focus on the good stuff. Although I can ramble, I'll close by saying 73 (not 73s which you'll hear often) & Cheers And did I say IGNORE the mental midgets, there R lots of them, but also many people willing to help. Good Hamming....Oh yeah when you're the Old Fart, don't forget the fact you were  a newbie once!!  Wink
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 06:07:51 AM by WZ3O » Logged
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: October 18, 2013, 05:20:29 PM »

Gary,

Good post! I've been listening since I was 8...but am a late-in-life ham at 61, having been licensed for a few years. Your comments about "management" are spot on! I've been through USDA management school which sort of sheds a lot of light on how some clubs are run. It's a shame but there are resources to change this. State Extension Service personnel offer free leadership workshops for volunteer groups. But, I might add, it takes the will to make a group better to engage in this type of training!

I enjoy working with other hams, especially the new ones, as I had no Elmer available to encourage me toward licensure.

Frank
K4FMH
W2RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: October 18, 2013, 05:42:12 PM »

It's a shame but there are resources to change this. State Extension Service personnel offer free leadership workshops for volunteer groups.

Frank,
Other resources include:
*The Foundation Center - FoundationCenter.org‎  http://www.foundationcenter.org
*Bridgespan - http://www.bridgespan.org/Publications-and-Tools/Career-Professional-Development/Develop-My-Staff/52-Free-Development-Opportunities.aspx
*The Bunelle Foundation - http://www.bunnelle.org/management.php

73 Martin Flynn
W2RWJ
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: October 19, 2013, 06:12:17 PM »

Thanks Martin! The advantage of the Extension Service is that they provide in-person workshops to volunteer groups like ham clubs. But having additional reading resources is great.

From my experience, I wonder how many ham clubs actually recognize that there is a need for leadership development?

Frank
K4FMH
W2RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: October 19, 2013, 06:32:05 PM »

Frank,
The folks who are best positioned to promote this sort of education are the ones who potentially stand to loose the most. IE,  once a club becomes a non-profit, at some level it begins to compete for resources with the ARRL, AMSAT, and other amateur radio-related charitable orgs.

The example I use frequently:   John Q Hambone is getting on in years.  He decides to leave his local club a sizable bequest instead of the ARRL in his will. 

Martin
N2YDC

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: November 08, 2013, 06:24:20 PM »

MRDUDE, Sorry but i'm lmao!! I can relate. Your a ham check out all the different operating modes in amateur radio, Try packet radio, buy an Arrow 2M/70CM yagi connect it to your handheld and make some contacts thru satellites. I enjoy decoding ACARS, Wefax etc. Joined a club here in the NYC area once paid the fee only to listen to a dormant repeater, but once me and my friends keyed up the admin would claim we were not leaving ample space between trans. Mind you no one else was on the repeater. There is always going to be someone out there with the same interest as you!! HF is going to be great for you. My hf qso's were simple RST reports to discussing wether or not hot peppers are as hot as they are to deter animals from eating the plant. You sound like you live in open-sky country, learn about your orbiting satellites and try and work the world so that you can give the old flip to the local AARP radio club.

73 N2YDC
Pages: Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: