Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Source for heavy-duty male 12v plug?  (Read 17350 times)
N3CSA

Ignore
« on: February 12, 2011, 08:39:59 AM »

I need a heavy-duty (radio pulls 12amps max) 12v male plug to use with my mobile rig (to plug into the 20amp power source).

Locally all I can find is 8-10 amps max.  Anybody know where I can get a heavier plug?   I have looked online and not had much luck.

Thanks!
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 11:19:40 AM »

Anderson PowerPoles come in 15/30/45 Ampere sizes and are the ARES standard.http://www.powerwerx.com/
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 11:21:14 AM »

PP also makes 75, 120, and 180 amp connectors.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 07:46:33 AM by K0BG » Logged

AJ3O

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 11:23:09 AM »

Anderson Power Poles and the SBC connectors. Easy to use and swap out different pieces of equipment. I use the "MultiPole" SB 50 amp type for my main run into the cab that initially only powered an inverter. I am going to add a tap into that main run and add a homebrew junction box to give me at least eight more outputs with the Power Poles.

At least I think this is what you are asking for. Yes, you have to change items initially, but after that, things are so simple.

http://www.andersonpower.com/products/
K2FOX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 11:39:31 AM »

I need a heavy-duty (radio pulls 12amps max) 12v male plug to use with my mobile rig (to plug into the 20amp power source).

Locally all I can find is 8-10 amps max.  Anybody know where I can get a heavier plug?   I have looked online and not had much luck.

Thanks!

I use these...

http://www.allbatterysalesandservice.com/browse.cfm/2,743.html

I purchased mine at a local auto store.
AJ3O

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 12:55:25 PM »

Thanks!

I use these...

http://www.allbatterysalesandservice.com/browse.cfm/2,743.html

I purchased mine at a local auto store.

Yes, those are basically my main connectors. The SB50's. Anderson produces these under their name for themselves and other companies.
Then for the smaller connectors, Anderson Power Poles....
W2WAW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 03:24:16 AM »

Hello, I found a polarized connector that will handle ALOT of current at a local car stereo shop. If you have one in your town that may be a place to look. Mike w2waw
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 04:27:56 PM »

I have used these style connectors for many years for a lot of 12v applications. They can be found in different sizes and capacities. I use one with 12 ga wires on a truck mounted salt spreader that can draw up to 20 to 25 amps. Never had any problem with them. I do seal it with electrical tape in elements.

http://www.amazon.com/Powerlet-Products-SAE-Extension-Cable/dp/B00206GG7I

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 09:31:43 AM »

It sounds like you're looking for a heavy duty cigarette lighter plug.  There's a good reason why you're not finding one--cigarette/cigar lighters were not made to handle twenty amps continuously because the vehicle wiring isn't large enough to handle it.  The biggest you're likely to find IS a ten amp version.  Your best bet is to go with power poles.

Addendum:  Even the 'accessory' outlets in modern cars are woefully overrated.  Most of those outlets use 16 gauge wire to connect them to the harness--which is really inadequate for any great amount of current draw.  The things that those outlets are really put there for is GPS units, radar detectors, mp3 players, cell phone chargers and other devices that only draw one or two amps.

Even the plug in coolers that have been on the market for the past decade draw current that makes the plug, socket and wiring get warm--and that isn't good at all.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 10:29:04 AM by K1CJS » Logged
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 10:14:50 AM »

If you want to see what happens when you use an accessory (cigarette lighter by any other name) jack to power a transceiver, go to my web site, and bring up the Wiring article. Look at the photo on the left.

KF6ABU

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 05:08:20 PM »

I'm late... But i dont think the plug itself matters. its the gauge of the wire behind it. Replace the wire with something better along its path to the battery.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 07:04:34 PM »

Good Luck!

If you modify factory wiring, and the insurance company can prove you did so, good by coverage.

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 07:18:39 AM »

I'm late... But i dont think the plug itself matters. its the gauge of the wire behind it. Replace the wire with something better along its path to the battery.

It is better, by far, to run a separate line from the battery to a connector designed to handle the rated load, than to modify something in a factory wiring harness. This isn't rocket science. High power sound shops do it all the time, as do commercial land mobile installers.

(to plug into the 20amp power source)

FWIW, I don't care what power ratings an auto manufacturer puts in their owner's manual, there no "power port" in the typical vehicle that can handle anything approaching a 20A load.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 07:22:02 AM by W3LK » Logged

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 07:50:20 AM »

Ford and Toyota both offer an rear power option in their pickup trucks. It isn't just a lighter jack either. It almost could be a Power Pole, as it looks similar. I'm not sure about the Ford one, but the one in the Toyota is rated 30 amps, and is supplied with #6 wire.

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 10:52:53 AM »

Ford and Toyota both offer an rear power option in their pickup trucks. It isn't just a lighter jack either. It almost could be a Power Pole, as it looks similar. I'm not sure about the Ford one, but the one in the Toyota is rated 30 amps, and is supplied with #6 wire.

Interesting. I have not seen one of those installations. But then again, I haven't messed with too many pickups. Thanks for the education.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: