Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you sex a connector adapter?  (Read 4068 times)
KASSY

Ignore
« on: February 12, 2011, 04:06:34 PM »

I spent a brief time maintaining test equipment.  In that world, the "gender" of an adapter refers to the gender of the connectors that you're trying to mate up.  For instance, if my Elecraft K2 has an SO-239 female connector on it, and the cable from my antenna has a BNC male connector on it, then the correct adapter would be "BNC male to SO-239 female".

I went to a ham store last time I was over in the bay area and their adapters seemed backwardsly labeled.  The genders identified were the ones on the adapter itself, not what it was intended to connect together.  Online vendors which use both word descriptions and photos/drawings seem to switch between the methods.

Is there a standard?  I have, in the past, ordered things by description and got the photo instead...or ordered by photo and got the description instead.

Just curious....

-k
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 04:08:45 PM »

It is always the same as the anatomy.
KASSY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 04:14:33 PM »

The anatomy of the adapter itself, or the connector to which you attach it?
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 04:17:37 PM »

It depends upon which one you are talking about. Simply put, if either connector has a post in the middle it's male; if it has a hole in the middle, it's female - just like human anatomy. That's where the gender labels came from.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KASSY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 04:30:30 PM »

It depends upon which one you are talking about. Simply put, if either connector has a post in the middle it's male; if it has a hole in the middle, it's female - just like human anatomy. That's where the gender labels came from.

Am I really asking this question so badly?

Yes, I understand, when staring at a connector, is it a boy or girl.  My radio has a girl on the rear panel.

My antenna has a BNC boy on the end of the cable.

What do you call the adapter that goes between?  A BNC male to SO-239 female?  That would be correct in the test equipment world.  However, in the ham magazines, that standard seems to be reversed.  Rather than describing the two connectors to which you're adapting, you describe the adapter itself.

Is the following photo a BNC female to UHF male, or a BNC male to UHF female?  In the pro world, it would be BNC male to UHF female, because those are the connectors that need an adapter between them.

http://www.testparts-store.com/product_images/g/237/RFA-8312__84148_zoom.jpg
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 04:55:31 PM »

Amateur or "Pro" - I have always known the description to apply to the actual adaptor inhand, not to the stuff it connects to. 

A BNC MALE to SO-239 would then be an adaptor with a male BNC on one end and a female '239 (which is delineated by PL for male & SO for female anyway, PLug and SOcket) on the other. 

So I've always known it to be from the adaptor's standpoint, if an adaptor can have a standpoint. 

Certainly hope you haven't found places doing it the other way 'round, if I did, I'd likely shop elsewhere, looking for standardization to stay put. 

K2YO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 04:57:28 PM »

Kassy,
My experience has been different than yours. I've always heard adaptors described by the type and sex of the connector on the adaptor, not the connector that it would mate with when connected.

Bernie
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 05:02:21 PM »

The description should be of the adapter itself... If one side is a UHF male and the other a BNC female, then it's a UHF male to BNC female adapter.

'Cuz that's exactly how the adapter is built.

When you go to the hardware store do you ask for a 1/2" drill bit or a 1/2" hole? Bits they have, holes they don't, so you buy a drill bit even though the hole is what you really want.......  Tongue

Never change a password on a Friday                
N2CJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 05:21:16 PM »

You need a BNC female to UHF male (PL-259)
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 05:55:40 PM »

The convention is to name the sex of the adapter, not the sex of the connectors being adapted. For example, if you need an adapter to connect two male UHF connectors together the adapter is a female/female UHF connector. See the Pasternack website.
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 06:09:08 PM »

If you need an adaptor to go from a BNC male plug to a UHF female socket, then
you need a BNC female to UHF male adaptor.  The words are very close, but not exactly the
same.  The first describes the use, the second describes the adaptor itself.

Some people might use the first to describe the adaptor, but that isn't standard.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 06:45:44 PM »

Lon, I should have stayed out of this. LOL.
K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 10:02:59 PM »

I've had 26 years in RF/Microwave and Antenna Engineering, and I've alway heard them referred to by the sex of the adapter itself, not the connectors to which it mates.  So in you example, the adapter would be BNF-F to UHF-M.

Don, K2DC

G3TXQ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 01:42:34 AM »

Like this:

http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=5415

Steve G3TXQ
K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 03:19:43 AM »

Exactly, Steve.

Don, K2DC