Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Real time Comparison with HEX Beam and Mono Band Mosley Yagi will be interesting  (Read 23747 times)
NN2X

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2011, 03:32:36 PM »

Update, on the HEX Beam, here in Allen Texas last week the winds were strong, and the mast broke..The antenna came down,...So there will be no comparison..

The mast by the way, came with the antenna...

Best

Tom Wright
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2011, 03:41:48 PM »

Update, on the HEX Beam, here in Allen Texas last week the winds were strong, and the mast broke..

Bummer.  Sorry to hear that.

Winds took my flag receiving antenna down the other day but fortunately it survived the topple mostly intact.

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2011, 03:46:42 PM »

So the little hex at 30' came down when the "mast broke." 

What's the story on the much bigger wide-spaced Mosley due to arrive there from the factory in a week to go up 10' higher than the Hex?
NN2X

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2011, 04:55:49 PM »

K0OD. The mosley is scheduled and on time. Thanks for your concern
N4KC

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2011, 03:20:16 PM »

My own experience with a homebrew hexbeam is detailed in this article:

http://www.eham.net/articles/25352

My new beam (K4KIO version) is doing great and survived a 70 mph wind gust last week and some pretty good ice last month.  NN2X, hope you can get yours back up and radiating quickly.

Now, I still think that the concern expressed by G3TXQ about the original post is still valid, and his questions have not been answered satisfactorily.  NN2X made a serious charge against a number of manufacturers, and, as Steve mentioned, it would surprise...no, shock...me if the charges were true.  I have done business with DX Engineering and K4KIO and, since I make part of my living in marketing and advertising, I have observed their business practices and ads--as well as Mike Traffie's--from afar.  I have always been impressed with their honesty and truth-in-advertising.  If they or others did make the claims NN2X mentions--and he says they ALL did--it would be a good thing to know. 

If they didn't, somebody owes somebody a retraction.

Don N4KC
www.n4kc.com
www.donkeith.com
KO7I

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2011, 09:03:50 AM »

I am curious, do any of these mfr's make a 40M version of the HEX Beam?

73, Don KO7i
G3TXQ

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2011, 09:53:24 AM »

I am curious, do any of these mfr's make a 40M version of the HEX Beam?

I'm pretty sure not! Home-brew versions have been constructed:
http://www.linehand.com/k7hc-MegaHex.htm

Steve G3TXQ
KO7I

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2011, 11:26:31 AM »

Thanks, very impressive. 73, Don KO7i
KM6CZ

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2011, 12:32:46 PM »

I have both the TA-33M and a home brew hexagonal beam... the TA-33 is better at front to side but nothing else. (May be height limitation for the yagi) From a practical perspective, the hexagonal beam outperforms the TA-33. This should come as no surprise as the TA-33 did not do well against other triband yagis (See HF Triband Performance by Silver and Morris, dated but still available.)
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2011, 05:12:59 PM »

Like N3OX and STAYVERTICAL says, this is a hobby not a research project funded by the NSF.  I use numbers from models as a guide taken with a grain of salt and prefer actual real world experiences though numbers will be different worldwide due to gulp, differeing locations.  Yes the the government couldn't predict those snowstorms, Nor'easters, tornadoes, Japan Earthquake/Tsunami, etc.  AND, who wrote the EZNEC base software?  The US Navy, as isn't it based on the Navy's NEC4 software?

I think we're just getting too serious as indicated by all the posts.   Let's just see what the results are (or was if I missed them) and move on.  All I can say is I love my SteppIR BigIR vertical and it's better than the vertical antennas I've had before.

73 Delwyn KH6DC

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
KA7NIQ

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2011, 07:39:00 PM »

I have both the TA-33M and a home brew hexagonal beam... the TA-33 is better at front to side but nothing else. (May be height limitation for the yagi) From a practical perspective, the hexagonal beam outperforms the TA-33. This should come as no surprise as the TA-33 did not do well against other triband yagis (See HF Triband Performance by Silver and Morris, dated but still available.)
I have always wondered about that tri bander test, I never read it, but I heard the Mosley antenna did poorly.
Someone told me the KLM antennas won that test, but how many OLD KLM antennas do you see still playing ?
Here in Florida, the linear loading traps corrode, but plenty of old Mosley's live 25 years or more!
Something to think about ?
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2011, 05:58:46 AM »

I have had great experiences with Moxon's, but have settled on this antenna, which performs almost exactly - band for band - as well as my 2 element SteppIR at a mere fraction of the cost (I'm quite embarrassed to say):

http://www.bvarc.org/Tech/CompactW8JKBeam-K5LJ.pdf

Les Moxon, G6XN covered this W8JK modified design in his "HF Antennas for all Locations" book (2nd Edition), and it cost me $50 to build. I had tried a "regular" W8JK a few years ago - and was not happy with it. Amazing what happens when you change the feed.

This antenna is very light, looks very "stealthy" as compared to a Hex beam, and while I think the Hex Beam seems to be a fine antenna, this little known Moxon design has prevented me from bothering with a Hex beam or a 3 element trapped yagi - or other heavier, more expensive antennas.

Mine is up 40' on a Channel Master push up mast and turned with an $85 Channel Master rotator. Its been up 1 year now.
KA7NIQ

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2011, 06:26:33 AM »

I have had great experiences with Moxon's, but have settled on this antenna, which performs almost exactly - band for band - as well as my 2 element SteppIR at a mere fraction of the cost (I'm quite embarrassed to say):

http://www.bvarc.org/Tech/CompactW8JKBeam-K5LJ.pdf

Les Moxon, G6XN covered this W8JK modified design in his "HF Antennas for all Locations" book (2nd Edition), and it cost me $50 to build. I had tried a "regular" W8JK a few years ago - and was not happy with it. Amazing what happens when you change the feed.

This antenna is very light, looks very "stealthy" as compared to a Hex beam, and while I think the Hex Beam seems to be a fine antenna, this little known Moxon design has prevented me from bothering with a Hex beam or a 3 element trapped yagi - or other heavier, more expensive antennas.

Mine is up 40' on a Channel Master push up mast and turned with an $85 Channel Master rotator. Its been up 1 year now.
It would be nice to see a picture of it ?
It looks very very interesting!
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2011, 10:05:11 AM »

The picture of the Moxon - modified W8JK that I built is here:

http://eastbayarc.org/pdf/wire_arrays_for_dx-ing.pdf

You'll need some patience to download though - it also shows an excellent modified Bruce Array for 40M that I used to snag ZS8M - which I could not have done using just a single vertical.

This is a presentation that I gave at Pacificon and at a few local club meetings in the SF Bay Area.

Hope this gives a few new ideas on how to build gain wire antennas on the cheap.
N4DSP

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2012, 03:54:27 AM »

hahahahaha. I was looking forward to these tests for "fun".

Update, on the HEX Beam, here in Allen Texas last week the winds were strong, and the mast broke..The antenna came down,...So there will be no comparison..

The mast by the way, came with the antenna...

Best

Tom Wright
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: