Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Real time Comparison with HEX Beam and Mono Band Mosley Yagi will be interesting  (Read 22046 times)
NN2X

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2013, 05:39:17 AM »

Around the 2011 in Feb, I tried to compare the Hex Beam  to the Yagi Mono bander, and the antenna broke (The Mast)...This was my fault...nothing to do with the Antenna

However, since then K4KIO created a Hex Beam that was modified HEX using G3TXQ...Iordered this antenna, for my comparison

For the comparison, I will switch from Test System A to Test System B using each of the 15 Meter antenna arrays

For test A System, I have a 45 Tower and a 10 foot mast, with a 3 element Mono Bander (Yagi) from Hy Gain, using a 12 foot Boom, up at 50 feet., with Install, concrete, yeasue rotor, and I have two other Mono banders (20 Meter 3 element, and 4 element mono bander for 10 meters) / Costs nearly 7,000 (USD)

For test B System, I have a 25 mast, with a radio shack rotor, and Hex Beam (K4KIO / Using G3TQX Design), costs about 750 (USD)

Results, quite frankly, astounding...The Hex beam performed only 1 S unit less then the mono bander, and I will conclude if the antenna was up at 50 ft (The Hex Beam) the results would be at least the same..

The bootom line, if I would had went the Hex Beam route, and put up the 50 ft mast, there would had been very little difference, and I would had saved, 6,000 (USD)..

My antenna systems is on QRZ Site (Just plug in NN2X), and you will see the antenna systems (Hex and Mono Banders)
KA7NIQ

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2013, 07:07:02 AM »

Around the 2011 in Feb, I tried to compare the Hex Beam  to the Yagi Mono bander, and the antenna broke (The Mast)...This was my fault...nothing to do with the Antenna

However, since then K4KIO created a Hex Beam that was modified HEX using G3TXQ...Iordered this antenna, for my comparison

For the comparison, I will switch from Test System A to Test System B using each of the 15 Meter antenna arrays

For test A System, I have a 45 Tower and a 10 foot mast, with a 3 element Mono Bander (Yagi) from Hy Gain, using a 12 foot Boom, up at 50 feet., with Install, concrete, yeasue rotor, and I have two other Mono banders (20 Meter 3 element, and 4 element mono bander for 10 meters) / Costs nearly 7,000 (USD)

For test B System, I have a 25 mast, with a radio shack rotor, and Hex Beam (K4KIO / Using G3TQX Design), costs about 750 (USD)

Results, quite frankly, astounding...The Hex beam performed only 1 S unit less then the mono bander, and I will conclude if the antenna was up at 50 ft (The Hex Beam) the results would be at least the same..

The bootom line, if I would had went the Hex Beam route, and put up the 50 ft mast, there would had been very little difference, and I would had saved, 6,000 (USD)..

My antenna systems is on QRZ Site (Just plug in NN2X), and you will see the antenna systems (Hex and Mono Banders)
And, if you had ordered your Hex Beam from NA4RR instead of K4KIO, you would have saved nearly 200.00 !
Both the K4KIO and The NA4RR Hex Beam are based on Steve Hunt's design (G3TXQ), and both antennas seem very well made.
The NA4RR Hex Beam simply costs less (nearly 200.00 less) then the K4KIO version of the G3TXQ Design.

I did not go with a Hex Beam, because I wanted 40 meters. I went with the Hy Gain Explorer 14, and the 40 meter add on kit.
The NA4RR Hex Beam would have given me 17, 12, and 6 meters that the Hy Gain Explorer 14 does not, but oh well ...

Glad you made your comparison, and thanks for posting the results!
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2013, 08:00:27 AM »

I believe several posters predicted such a result. A silly waste.

WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2013, 11:54:37 AM »

NN2X, 

Thanks for sharing your information.

I've been using a Hex Beam from K4KIO for about a year or so now.   Works very well.  Light, fairly small..  cheap.. I have 6 Bands on it, simple galvanized fencing poles holding it up.   LP around the world when conditions are right.  Can't complain.   Great antenna.

I believe it matches up very well with a 2 element Yagi.. which it basically is.

The difference between a 3 and 2 element might be 1/2 to 1 S unit I believe.

I'm thinking about going with a SpiderBeam when it's time to replace the hex beam (salt water / wear)... The SpiderBeam is about 12ft wider, same weight and represents a 3 element yagi.

So, for the same cost, same weight and close approx. size..  I'm thinking take a little more.   It's like going from a 800W amp to 1200+ watt amp... right there.

There is NO WAY I'd deal with the cost, sight, hassle and danger of putting up a tower anywhere near my house when I could put a Hex or Spider antenna and paint it flat black and make great contacts.       

Bryan
WH7DX
KA7NIQ

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2013, 12:25:09 PM »

NN2X, 

Thanks for sharing your information.

I've been using a Hex Beam from K4KIO for about a year or so now.   Works very well.  Light, fairly small..  cheap.. I have 6 Bands on it, simple galvanized fencing poles holding it up.   LP around the world when conditions are right.  Can't complain.   Great antenna.

I believe it matches up very well with a 2 element Yagi.. which it basically is.

The difference between a 3 and 2 element might be 1/2 to 1 S unit I believe.

I'm thinking about going with a SpiderBeam when it's time to replace the hex beam (salt water / wear)... The SpiderBeam is about 12ft wider, same weight and represents a 3 element yagi.

So, for the same cost, same weight and close approx. size..  I'm thinking take a little more.   It's like going from a 800W amp to 1200+ watt amp... right there.

There is NO WAY I'd deal with the cost, sight, hassle and danger of putting up a tower anywhere near my house when I could put a Hex or Spider antenna and paint it flat black and make great contacts.       

Bryan
WH7DX
For what they are, Hex Beams do a decent job. But make no mistake!
They are no match for larger yagi and quad antennas.
LOL, serious contesters do not use Hex Beams.

The Spider Beam will crush the smaller Hex Beams, and it will also crush many smaller tribanders as well.

To some "the little bit of difference" between a Hex Beam and a larger Yagi or Quad is not important.
But, in a pileup, even a DB or so of Gain might mean the difference between being heard, or not.

PD2R

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2013, 03:56:52 PM »

Brian WH7DX, please be advised, I think a Spiderbeam is not as strong as a Hexbeam. I own a Hexbeam and together with 2 other hams I also own two Heavy Duty Spiderbeams.
We really love the Spiderbeams for portable use but I don't want to put one on my roof permanently. It's very light weight but it is also pretty large.
In fact, one of our hexbeams was owned by one of our Danish friends who had it installed on a 50 ft tower. It broke one of the fiberglass spreaders during a mild storm. Maybe that particular spreader was flawed to begin with, I don't know.
Now, I'm not saying Spiderbeams are bad, heck we own two of them!. I'm just not sure they are as durable as a Hexbeam.

73, Maarten PD2R/OV2T
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2013, 11:11:50 PM »

I believe the original spiderbeams were a little weaker.   Some were using the DX portable antenna's (in a bag) for full time use which they weren't designed for..  they have heavy duty spiderbeams now meant to be mounted full time.. or just build your own.

As for the message regarding a spiderbeam have a noticeable difference with the hexbeam.. that's not the data.   It's a slight improvement.   Maybe 1/2 a unit or so.  I was just saying, if an extra 12 feet isn't a big deal, and the weight is the same.. then that little extra might make sense.

If you want to spend $5000 for a tower with a large yagi and deal with maintenance being a "serious" DX'r than it obviously won't stack up.. but I can't count the number of times a guy with a huge Yagi tower was amazed that I was coming LP 20k miles and was 59 with a little hex beam and 600w...   again.. I do have a good location..... 

For the average Ham.. both the Hex and Spider are great antennas covering 6M up to 20M unless you feel real ballsy and want to build a 40M   Smiley

Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: