Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MFJ 998 Firmware upgrade  (Read 7159 times)
KE7EOZ

Ignore
« on: February 15, 2011, 01:44:20 PM »

HI has anybody done the firmware upgrade to the MFJ 998 tuner? if yes let me know how you did it and if it was worth it
tnx
AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 07:21:06 PM »

I have a very early MFJ-998, so I've updated the firmware a couple of times just to keep it current.  If your tuner is working fine, there probably is no need.  Updating is easy.  Do the following:

Go to the MFJ website and select “Product Support”.  Then find the MFJ-998 and select that.  You can now either directly access the firmware, or you can save it and unzip it on your computer.  You may use either a direct RS232 interface between your computer and MFJ-998, or you can use a USB-to-serial converter.  For the USB-to-serial converter, the latest converters using the PROLIFIC chips are the best. 

Make sure you properly select the COMM port for your interface.

1. Unzip and start the MFJ-998_Firmware (or just run it directly from the MFJ site - that's what I do).
2. When the firmware update program starts, press F1 for step-by-step procedure.

All firmware versions of the MFJ-998 can be updated via the RS232 port.  Version 0719 was the first release and it didn't support the Remote Program feature available on later versions; so make sure to uncheck the Remote Program box on the Windows software.  You will have to start the Bootloader by pressing the four L/C buttons on the MFJ-998 while turning on the power, and BOOTLOADER READY will appear on the LCD.  Then perform the update by pressing F4 or clicking Program.

Phil - AD5X
KE7EOZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 09:14:28 AM »

SO I got my tuner new about 2 weeks ago although I dont know if there is a way to check what version of firmware I have on it. so do you know how to find out this. I wnat to see is worth it to do it
AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 12:24:43 PM »

The firmware version number is at the end of the copyright message displayed during the Self Test.  The latest 998 firmware version is 1031.  The update process is very easy - easier than it sounds.  Just click on the MFJ link on their website and it pretty much takes you through the process.

Phil - AD5X
KE4WY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 07:35:59 AM »

I see the current firmware 1031 is from 2007. They are slow in updating since new radios have been introduced since 2007 plus I had heard a rumor about making the power meter peak reading with a firmware update. Any idea when?

Also it took (3) tries to get one that is acceptable. 1st one DOA, 2nd one had lots of very noticeable scratches on it
and the shipping box was intact so it was not from shipping damage? We did not even try this one we shipped it back to the dealer and tried a 3rd time and it arrived with the buzzer not attached but rattling inside the case. Examination did not turn up the mounting hardware so since we noticed it worked fine we contacted MFJ and requested the mounting hardware. They never came so we went to a local hardware store and was able to find the necessary hardware to mount the buzzer. It's worked fine with no issues since mounting the buzzer.

Even with the difficulties finding an acceptable unit it works great and tunes real fast plus no issues handling 1500 watts for the month I have owned it.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 08:07:38 AM by KE4WY » Logged
KF6E

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 06:57:28 AM »

I tried to update the firmware in my MFJ-998, but I get an error that COMCTL32.OCX is missing, even though I can see the file right there.

I'm using Windows 7, 32-bit.  Any ideas?

MFJ said they would email me information about it, but I didn't get anything from them.

Frank
KF6E
KF6E

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 05:15:33 AM »

I just upgraded the firmware in my five-year old MFJ-998.  It works so much better after the upgrade, it's amazing.  It tunes faster, is more stable, tunes a wider range of loads, and more.  I strongly recommend it.

By the way, if you use a Windows 7 computer to do the upgrade, you may get an error about missing a file named COMCTL32.OCX.  The way to fix this is to right-click the executable, then left-click on Run as administrator.  The executable wants to make changes to a file that aren't allowed unless it has administrator rights.

Frank
KF6E
K2CBI

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 08:19:15 AM »

Has anyone installed the most recent version of the firmware - v1123?
The web site says that this adds:

- New: Added setup menu item "MEMORY OVERWRITE"

What exactly does this do?

TU and 73, Mike
K2CBI
AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 09:24:39 AM »

Has anyone installed the most recent version of the firmware - v1123?
The web site says that this adds:

- New: Added setup menu item "MEMORY OVERWRITE"

What exactly does this do?

TU and 73, Mike
K2CBI

Yes, I've installed it.  Rather than trying to push TUNE/Cdwn/Ldwn within about an 80ms window to overwrite memory, you can now go into the set-up menu and overwrite memory.  I sometimes overwrite memory if I want to manually tweak the SWR to a lower value than the target.  Trying to simultaneously push the three keys didn't always result in an overwrite as I couldn't always coordinate the key presses close enough together.

Phil - AD5X
K2CBI

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 06:32:23 AM »

Thank you Phil.  I haven't yet tried to overwrite the memory, so I guess that this doesn't add much for me.

73,  Mike
K2CBI
M0KLL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 03:49:49 AM »

My MFJ -998 I purchased some years back 3 maybe 4 years ago...
Copyright MFJ 2007 Version 0737 02.01 
am I overdue a Firmware Update?
M0KLL

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 12:15:41 AM »

Not bad nearly 11 months and no response.
Thank you.
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 11:03:51 AM »

Not bad nearly 11 months and no response.
Thank you.

Why don't you go to the MFJ site and see what the lastest update is instead of bitching about the lack of a response.  Are you totally helpless or just extremely lazy?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: