Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does a good WYSIWYG web editor actually exist?  (Read 5303 times)
W0BTU

Ignore
« on: February 16, 2011, 05:21:35 PM »

Every so often, I search for one, and I am to the point where I am willing to consider paying for a good one. (IF one actually exists. I doubt it, especially a FREE one.)

To me, creating a web page in a text editor would be like going behind the scenes in a good word processor and hand coding font type, font size, font effects (bold, italics, super/subscript, etc), tables, you-name-it.

No wonder so many good web designers don't use a WYSIWYG editor. There just isn't a good one.

I need to learn CSS, I guess. (Just what I need, something else that'll take months to learn, take up time that I don't have, and further clutter up my brain.) I can't seem to find anything I need about CSS on the Web.

I know a lot of folks will disagree, but the best I've found so far is Microsoft FrontPage. I found out when I first bought it (right after Microsoft bought it) that mastering the tutorial is a must. I don't mind such a "learning curve", but I don't want to waste any more time learning to use a new piece of lousy software, either.

At different times, I've bought different versions of Dreamweaver, and have had it up to my ears with that horrible piece of #@*&!. Don't talk to me about it.

The latest I've tried is the free KompoZer. It has its own set of issues, such as switching between WYSIWYG mode and source edit mode. (I hear you; what do you expect for free, right?)

There's got to be a better way (sigh).

Sorry to be so negative, but if you have any advice, I would sure appreciate it! :-)

N5NA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 05:41:08 PM »

I've been pretty happy with SiteSpinner Pro.

http://www.virtualmechanics.com/

Alan  N5NA
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 05:45:02 PM »

I use Seamonkey Composer. See www.mcminnarc or www.qsl.net/na4it for results.
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 07:16:17 PM »

I've been pretty happy with SiteSpinner Pro.

I didn't know about that one. Thanks!

Trouble is, that web page does not display properly in Firefox. (There's some text misalignment issues.) To me, that's a big red flag, but I'll try and keep an open mind as I investigate further.

I've tried Seamonkey. Not what I want, but thanks anyway.

W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 07:18:23 PM »

Is there such as thing as a WYSIWYG CSS editor?

AA5WG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 06:53:10 AM »

Hi Mike:
You may know of this one, Dreamweaver by Adobe.  My sister is considering this web design program.  Another ham web site also recommended Dreamweaver.  I think it cost about $400.00. by itself.   The cost is much more if you buy their suite of programs.
Chuck - AA5WG
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 06:55:39 AM by AA5WG » Logged
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 08:13:25 AM »

Thanks, Chuck, but I've tried Dreamweaver twice. It's been 4 years or so since I investigated to see if it was improved, but the last time I investigated, I read many complaints about it. Many of the complaints were from longtime Dreamweaver users who apparently were seeing it deteriorate further.

KJ4NGS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 05:13:46 PM »

Let me toss this out -- I've started to switch over to using a content management system, Drupal, to build web sites.  If you're looking to build anything large, HTML is just too unproductive unless you have exacting requirements.  I'd rather compromise on the style of the site in exchange for an easy ability to build professional content.

Still, if you like, Dreamweaver is great.  Kompoozer (sp?) is a dreamweaver freeware clone, but has some interesting glitches...
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 07:40:49 PM »

I'd love to run a CMS, but I've given up on that. Drupal or Joomla won't run on my RHEL server, because it requires a newer version of PHP. And if I upgrade PHP, I break the Parallels (formerly Ensim) control panel.

AB2RC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 05:14:44 AM »

Hi Mike:
You may know of this one, Dreamweaver by Adobe.  My sister is considering this web design program.  Another ham web site also recommended Dreamweaver.  I think it cost about $400.00. by itself.   The cost is much more if you buy their suite of programs.
Chuck - AA5WG

I will recommend Dreamweaver also, you can get it for about $150 if you can wrangle a .edu email address somehow.
KF7AJU

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 12:30:47 PM »

Yep... dreamweaver.
N9RO

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 09:22:25 AM »

You might look at PageBreeze HTML editor, they have a free version.

Tim
www.n9ro.com

Real techies don't use knobs.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 10:07:10 AM »

You might look at PageBreeze HTML editor, they have a free version.

Tim
www.n9ro.com

NO NO NO!!!

This program also installs something called "RoboShopper" which doesn't show up in the WIN7 list of uninstallable programs!!!!!  To get rid of it you have to uninstall PageBreeze.  A WISE thing to IMMEDIATELY do!!!!
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 10:12:57 AM »

Yep... dreamweaver.

Thanks, but please read post #6 above.

K2ZS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 08:30:49 AM »

Hate to say it but if DreamWeaver isn't up to your standards the is no other program that will make you happy. I have been developing web sites for over 14 years now and that has been by far the best software platform going for WYSIWYG development.

FrontPage has to be the worst program out there. It writes malformed code that wont pass validation. I use a package called PhpEdit which is expensive but less than DreamWeaver however it doesn't offer any WYSIWYG interface. When I use DreamWeaver it is just for visual editing of my style sheets.

Perhaps you should re-visit DreamWeaver. From the sounds of it you tried some of the versions prior to the CS series, they started with CS3 which is what I own and I believe they are up to version CS5 now. Yes, it is a bit pricey but as with most things you get what you pay for.

Antenna restricted?
http://www.k2zs.com
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: