Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Two Operators w/ One Rig  (Read 500 times)
KC9IMT

Ignore
« on: April 20, 2007, 07:19:13 AM »

I'm a little confused on the topic of (what I believe is) multi-operators.  Another ham friend and I are going to be participating in a contest this weekend.  We will be at my shack using my radio, antennas, etc. but we plan on switching off, one of us logging and one of us operating.

My question is regarding use of a call sign and category.  Is "multi-operator" the correct category for us to use?  Also, I'm assuming we should use one call sign for both of us, presumably my call.  Is this correct?
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 09:00:25 AM »

Yes two operators on one radio is multi-op.  As far as call signs go, yes you pick one call sign and both operate under that call sign.  If you have different classes of license, I normally recommend operating under the one with the most privileges.  However that does mean that person must be present as the control op at all times the radio is in operation. So if the control op takes a bathroom break, the guy actually on the radio has to stop until he comes back.  If you have the same class of license this would not apply.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 10:34:04 AM »

So if the control op takes a bathroom break, the guy actually on the radio has to stop until he comes back.

Technically correct.  Enforcement?  On your best behavior

Also, a Multi-multi would be muliptle operators operating more than one rig at the same time.  All would use one established call.
KX8N

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 07:31:05 PM »

"So if the control op takes a bathroom break, the guy actually on the radio has to stop until he comes back."

It wouldn't matter though if the guy on the radio is operating within the priviledges of his own radio, would it?  Or would it?
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 05:38:38 AM »

'RE: Two Operators w/ One Rig  Reply  
by KX8N on April 22, 2007  Mail this to a friend!  
"So if the control op takes a bathroom break, the guy actually on the radio has to stop until he comes back."

It wouldn't matter though if the guy on the radio is operating within the priviledges of his own radio, would it? Or would it?'

That is correct.  So long as the person on the radio is within their own privileges they can continue to operate when the other op leaves the room.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: