Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best bang for the buck Yagi antenna is..?  (Read 13379 times)
W3HKK

Ignore
« on: February 22, 2011, 07:15:59 AM »

Im retired and  in the market for  putting a 10-20m yagi on a 50-60 ft tower.  I already have a 5 el  6m yagi to go on top, but am scratching my head about which way to go for the 5 bander.  Im also thinking about the possibility of a small 40m yagi.

The Hex beam, or a 3 el  Stepp-ir, are two that most often come to mind.   

Im at the point where a huge antenna is no longer at the top of my wish list.  Something simpler, that will stay up maintenance free is appealing.

Any suggesions?

KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 08:01:27 AM »

The Steppir will give the best performance.  The Hex is about 4 feet high (spreaders bend upwards) which wouldn't be a problem if it is mounted on top, but would interfere with
maintenance.  Ain't no antenna that is maintenance free!! 
Allen
N5MOA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 09:45:15 AM »

Im at the point where a huge antenna is no longer at the top of my wish list.  Something simpler, that will stay up maintenance free is appealing.

Any suggesions?

I have a Tennadyne T-8 log periodic at 46 ft.

5 bands on a 18ft boom,  about as maintenance free as you can get, and works well.

73, Tom
W8KQE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 06:30:39 AM »

Mosley.  Very well made yagis.
K2QB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 07:57:41 AM »

If cost is not the major deciding factor than hands down Optibeam. Take a look at the OB9-5. I did all the comparisons, Moseley, Force 12, M2, etc. and for overall gain, FB, power handling and low to zero maintenance it beats them all. Add to that the personalized service and support you get from them you can't beat it. Steppir is nice (and expensive) but no way I want something with moving parts up 50 feet in the air. Two hams in my area have the Steppir and both have been down at least once over the last year for repairs and motor replacement.
WB4M

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 04:38:44 PM »

I agree witih N5MOA and I plan to finally install a T-10 log from Tennadyne this spring.  No moving parts, no motors, no small wires, no having to re-tune the antenna every time you switch bands like the SteppIR.
WB7TXG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 04:57:20 PM »

I used a cushcraft for 25 years...did me very well.. reflector broke and replaced with Tennadyne T8... Third year with it... very pleased.. no moving parts to worry about failing...
N9MXY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 05:01:09 PM »

I'm in the process of choosing between a T6 and a Hexbeam now too.  You can't beat either one of them in the bang for buck department, the T6 has about twice the gain and costs almost twice as much as a hexbeam. So how much ya wanna spend? Wink

edited to add of course the T6 is a LP not a yagi so maybe it's disqualified?
HB9DDS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 04:33:24 AM »

The Steppir will give the best performance.  The Hex is about 4 feet high (spreaders bend upwards) which wouldn't be a problem if it is mounted on top, but would interfere with
maintenance.  Ain't no antenna that is maintenance free!! 
Allen

Why should a StepIR have the "best" performance? In comparison to what?? Take in mind this antenna system has some electrical/electronically parts and it is not easy to maintain when its on a tower. In my opinion it is to heavy ans to $$$!

Why not take in mind a LogPer?

In my case a have one up 20 years. My present one is a Cushcraft ASL 2010.

--
73 de Daniel, HB9DDS
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 12:01:14 PM »

So you're asking for the "Best bang for the buck Yagi"  and not "Who makes the best antenna"?  I have a 3L SteppIR up in the air (see it on the cover of Dec.QST), and while I think it's a very nice antenna and has given me troublefree operation, it surely isn't the "best bang for the buck Yagi".  My vote for that category would have to be the Cushcraft A3, or perhaps the Mosley TA-33.  At approx. $600 (US) for either, the performance and quality they offer , versus their price is hard to beat.
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 01:22:37 PM »

Why should a StepIR have the "best" performance? In comparison to what?? Take in mind this antenna system has some electrical/electronically parts and it is not easy to maintain when its on a tower. In my opinion it is to heavy ans to $$$!

Why not take in mind a LogPer?

In my case a have one up 20 years. My present one is a Cushcraft ASL 2010.
[/quote]
My post was in response to the two antennas mentioned in the original post, not a comparison to all possible or existing antennas.  Also the poster implied that he was going to keep his
six meter yagi and add a forty meter yagi.  Give me a break!
Allen
W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 10:54:33 AM »

Ive seen a couple of SteppIRs up close and am troubled by the reliability.  Performance is as good as it gets but at my age Im not interested in maintaining it.

I had a KT34 years ago and  thought it was terrific.  I was hungry for DX  so got the XA kit to make it a 32 ft boom with 6 elements and loved it.   But now, the KT34 seems appealing...EXCEPT for it only covering 3 bands.   And Im not eager to  get two element performance if I can avoid it.  Which is why the Hex beam isnt at the top of my list.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.  I continue to mull.....
N9MXY

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 03:38:09 PM »

Bob,

So why not a tennadyne T6?
W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 05:13:50 PM »

Tennadyne T6 or T8 seems like a very nice choice indeed, at a good price.  My  biggest concern with LPs is the additional sqft wind loading, but those two ants arent too bad.

Thanks
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 10:16:10 PM »

I just got a steppir 3 element and I can tell you that this Antenna is an evolving design in progress.  The older models are very reliable and the newer ones are designed around fixing all the random problem areas that the older ones had.  At this point I feel the Antenna is very very solid indeed!   I know that 6Y1V has had two of them up on an approx 90 ft tower for about 4-5 years and they have gone through three hurricanes and are working with no problems. If you can afford it, it's worth it, just take your time and assemble it properly.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: