Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 7 SP1  (Read 6686 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« on: February 22, 2011, 12:29:48 PM »

It seems that Microsoft has released Service Pack one for Windows 7. It size is about 80 to 900 Meg depending on your configuration. I am going to do a test install now.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 10:51:17 AM »

Update; for those interested I have applied this to both 32 and 64bit installations and it installed without any issues. Please note it can take several minutes to shut down in order to reboot after installation. This is no cause for concern.

Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 05:45:23 PM »

Worked perfectly for me, on a laptop with the Home version, and an office PC with the Pro version. 64 bit versions. Less than 90 MB downloaded.

In the past, Microsoft was notorious for introducing aggravating bugs when rolling out service packs. Based on my experience with Windows 7 so far, I'm very optimistic that that's not going to be a big issue, if at all. (And that's coming from a big Linux fan. :-)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 05:50:10 PM by W0BTU » Logged

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 07:04:48 PM »

In the past, Microsoft was notorious for introducing aggravating bugs when rolling out service packs.

In old days we used to say that even numbered service packs were the good ones because that odd numbered ones added features with bugs that even numbered ones corrected

WB2EOD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 11:54:18 AM »

Interesting,  I heard that every 3rd fix was a good one :-)
That's Microsoft for you. 
VE3ZXQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 04:14:49 PM »

Hi..there has been many instances that Win 7 SP1 for 64 bit is iffy...32 bit is ok...just do a little research on the subject first, but just to let those that need to know, is that any Antivirus programs and the likes should be stopped while "doing" this transition...this is the bottleneck that usually happens when doing SP# updates...trust me, you'll have less headaches....and if possible, make sure you have "restore point" set up in case something happens....my 2 cents

James VE3ZXQ
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 04:40:02 PM »

I have never had a SP install issue with XP Vista or Win7 and with antivirus not disabled too. I have done a lot of them too.

AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 05:04:22 PM »

I have never had a SP install issue with XP Vista or Win7 and with antivirus not disabled too. I have done a lot of them too.

Windows is extraordinarily complex, with a huge number of installation-specific variables. Unless you have two PCs with identical-to-the-bit hardware and software, predictions about the behavior of one made from experience with the other can be wildly inaccurate.

If you have a PC hosting what you consider to be "mission critical" operations or data -- meaning stuff you can't possibly lose or be without -- then you should assume that every Microsoft update will wipe your PC's hard drive, and prepare accordingly. I'm not exaggerating!

Reliable on-site and off-site backups provide the required protection; I use ShadowProtect and Mozy respectively, but there are several good choices available.

Dave, AA6YQ

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 05:14:28 PM »

I have never had a SP issue with some pretty complex setups. I have seen problems cause by Norton Virus software in some configurations. I have deleted Norton for many machines over the years to replace it with more "friendly" virus software. Norton kinda likes to "take over".

AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 05:37:37 PM »

I have never had a SP issue with some pretty complex setups. I have seen problems cause by Norton Virus software in some configurations. I have deleted Norton for many machines over the years to replace it with more "friendly" virus software. Norton kinda likes to "take over".

In a game of Russian Roulette, pulling the trigger 5 times without making any noise does not guarantee that the next attempt will be equally quiet.

As cited in my previous post, Microsoft service packs can do a number on your PC without any help from Norton.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 05:45:54 PM »

Looking back over last 10 years or so the ONLY SP install I ever had issues with was on one machine that did not have enough free space for uninstall data. This is not to say I never crossed my fingers or grit my teeth with first install of a new service pack but never lost one. 

AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2011, 05:51:54 PM »

Looking back over last 10 years or so the ONLY SP install I ever had issues with was on one machine that did not have enough free space for uninstall data. This is not to say I never crossed my fingers or grit my teeth with first install of a new service pack but never lost one. 

Your fortunate experience will give no comfort to the user who assumes he'll have the same good luck, fails to create and verify a backup beforehand, and has his or her machine wiped by a service pack installation.

One must prepare for the worst case, not hope for the best case.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2011, 06:45:41 PM »

The problem is no where near as wide spread as you suggest. I have restored systems that were badly infected and others wanted to wipe and reinstall. Also even if you were to have a bad install of a SP you could simply do a restore and rebuild of boot info or worst case mount drive in another system to recover data. I regularly back up my important data but do not bother with regular complete system backups. I might mention that I replace hard drive every few years whether needed or not in all my systems. I image old drive to new and swap them out.

AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2011, 07:02:49 PM »

The problem is no where near as wide spread as you suggest. I have restored systems that were badly infected and others wanted to wipe and reinstall. Also even if you were to have a bad install of a SP you could simply do a restore and rebuild of boot info or worst case mount drive in another system to recover data. I regularly back up my important data but do not bother with regular complete system backups. I might mention that I replace hard drive every few years whether needed or not in all my systems. I image old drive to new and swap them out.

Most users do not have the ability/confidence to rebuild their hard drive's boot sector or mount their drive in another system to recover data, rebuilding the boot sector doesn't guarantee that Windows will startup successfully, and you can't recover access to critical applications by mounting the drive in another system; applications must be installed, as I'm sure you know.

If your PC contains critical data or applications, be sure its fully backed up before installing any Microsoft service pack.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2011, 07:45:39 PM »

Well I saved the cookies of someone last week that got a very nasty virus and blocked system restore and would not boot. Mounted drive on another system (very easy to do with SATA drives) and removed virus, then used recover to rebuild boot and restore and brought system back and lost zero data and had it back like it had never been messed up in a few hours. Point is there is always options.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: