Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Use of words?  (Read 6653 times)
AC2RC

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2011, 06:31:58 PM »

When the 'non-word'  co-conspirator gets into the dictionary you know all is lost.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2011, 06:54:29 PM »

One more ...

People who don't know the difference between SALE and SELL.

There was a post earlier this evening by a gentleman who said he had an item he was going to SALE. Sad

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2011, 08:35:06 PM »

Until my dad passed away, I was the world's second worst speller.  But that is what spell checkers are for. And, "When all else fails", ask the wife.

The problem with spell checkers is that they can't see how the word is being used.  If a word is spelled correctly, the s/c gives it a pass even though it's the WRONG word (to/too/two, or their/they're/there, or its/it's, or affect/effect, or your/you're ...).  These words are all spelled correctly; the trick is to know which word to use at a particular time.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 01:08:35 PM by K7KBN » Logged

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2011, 02:56:45 AM »

'Yaesu' is actually a district of Tokyo.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2011, 04:54:31 AM »

....Then again, since the school systems have essentially abandoned the teaching of spelling and grammar in the elementary grades, what can the intelligent and literate writer expect.

Timeless.  This one sentence sums it up nicely.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2011, 07:06:26 AM »

To the above post, the modern answer is probably 'Whatever'.

With the quality of education in the the West these days, there is no wonder that the other economies are outperforming us. The UK is at least as bad, if not worse, than the US in this respect.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2011, 09:09:27 AM »

....Then again, since the school systems have essentially abandoned the teaching of spelling and grammar in the elementary grades, what can the intelligent and literate writer expect.

Timeless.  This one sentence sums it up nicely.

Maybe the school systems where you live have given up those things, but not around here. The kids I know don't make the kinds of grammar/spelling/punctuation/capitalization mistakes you see all the time on eham. I know; I see their work all the time.

Then again, the people making most of those mistakes here on eham aren't in elementary school. They're a lot older.

You're right about "timeless", though. Complaining about how dumb the next generation has been going on forever.

73 de Jim, N2EY
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2011, 09:44:07 AM »

Marconi was a poor student who flunked a lot of exams......so you can't always tell if the new generation are really hopeless!
KC6YFR

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2011, 08:07:04 PM »

I can't speak for others but I did teach English for a number of years and always taught grammar and spelling. Part of the problem is that there are at least two Englishes, one is written and the other spoken. You can get along just fine in the spoken without knowing anything about spelling. Grammar's another matter. "Me and my friend..." clearly is a grammar problem.
As for education in general, it's my opinion that we don't have a crisis in education, but a crisis in parenting. Given who is coming to school with all the myriad social problems IMHO the schools are doing very well.
Just my two cents.
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2011, 01:32:47 AM »

...but I did teach English for a number of years and always taught grammar and spelling. Part of the problem is that there are at least two Englishes,...

Englishes?HuhHuhHuh

...versions of English...
...iterations of English...
          BUT
...Englishes...Huh

WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2011, 01:36:37 AM »

Marconi was a poor student who flunked a lot of exams......

Seems I've read somewhere that he was a rather ill tempered, mercenary sort.  If true, maybe that explains it?
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2011, 01:53:49 AM »

"Me and my friend..." clearly is a grammar problem.

A good rule of thumb:  Any time the speaker (or writer) places himself first in a sentence (ME and my friend...), it is not good grammar.  The correct phrasing would be "My friend and I..."  That simple rule covers a lot of "mileage".
There's another simple rule to correctly choose "me" vs. "I"..  For example, in the sentence, My friend and me walked down the hill. OR My friend and I walked down the hill.  Make the sentence singular; I walked down the hill.  Not, Me walked down the hill.  The correct choice becomes much more obvious.
Tom DGN
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: