Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HF rig displaying the VHF/UHF frequency when used with a transverter?  (Read 5975 times)
G7GNQ

Ignore
« on: March 03, 2011, 04:56:46 AM »

Hi,

After a long time out of amateur radio I am planning a return, principally using ssb on the vhf/uhf bands for dx and contest work.

Ideally I'd like to use an HF transceiver and a couple of transverters, but I can't find any definitive info on the best HF rig to use from a receiver point of view (fairly modern and well featured), and almost as importantly (to me at least) from the point of view of having the vhf/uhf frequency displayed on the IF transceiver.

Which HF transceivers will display the vhf/uhf frequencies on their digital displays when used in conjunction with a modern transverter? Do some HF transceivers lend themselves more to be used with transverters? Any general advice?

Thanks in advance, Nick
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 06:31:16 AM »

The Elecraft K3 when used with the associated internal 2m transverter will display the actual operating frequency.
G7GNQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 07:15:46 AM »

Thanks for ther info; I am not familiar with the Elecraft range of gear so I will do some more research.

I was thinking more towards the a radio from one of the 'big three' and coupling it with an external transverter.

Cheers, Nick
K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 07:27:10 AM »

The Elecraft K3 is a great rig.  Get the kit version (no soldering) and have fun putting it together (took me about 8 1/2 hours which included the time for unpacking and inventory).

I have not used the transverters although I do plan to get the 2-meter transverter.  But, it is difficult to find a better receiver.  My backup rig is an Icom 756 Pro III and is rarely used these days.
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 08:34:02 AM »

A good buy right now is the Yaesu FT-1000MP Mark V and the 6 meter transverter.  It will run 200 watts output on 6 meters, and display the 6 meter frequency on the transceiver VFO display.  The transverter is powered from the transceiver power supply. 

73, Floyd - K8AC
N7USR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 11:09:21 AM »

I'm using a IC-745 as a IF for a 6 meter transverter I am building.

It does not display the frequency directly with the transverter but when used it will only cover the lowest 2 megahertz of the band. In other words on 50 Mhz it will display 28.000 to 29.998.5. But since I am also building a 144 transverter that is fine with me.

GReg N7USR
G7GNQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 02:11:42 AM »

Thanks all for the replies.

There is certainly a lot to think about, especially as someone has now mentioned the SDR route. This looks very interesting and was not even around (I thinK) when I last was on air.

I think, at this point in time, that I like the idea of a physical radio with VFO, and ideally one that shows the VHF/UHF frequency on the display, a la the FT-1000MP. Do all 'modern' radios do this, or is limited to a certain brand, or price point?

With regard to the FT-1000 and the 6m transverter, is 50 MHz the only new frequency range to be displayed, or would it show 144MHz and 432MHz (13cm even?) even when coupled to a non Yaesu transverter?

Nick
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 05:03:26 AM »

The FT-1000MP Mark V has a menu item where you select 50, 144, or 430 to appear on the display.  There's no logic connection to the Yaesu 6M transverter, so there's no reason why it wouldn't work with other transverters. 
K7UNZ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 03:09:52 PM »

Just curious, but why the HF xcvr/transverters when you could just get a rig that has them all-in-one?  TS-2000, FT-847, etc..many available on the used market.

Jim/k7unz
N7USR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 08:21:54 AM »

I hope the original poster doesn't get upset and I don't want to hijack the thread but... In my case I want to build something instead of just buying something with everything in it. I LIKE building circuits that do something.

I'm trying to learn more about radios and in my case I'm learning about cascading MMIC's - something that I have not done yet.

And lastly, once I have the 6 meter and 2 meter trans-verters built I can add on any band I like in stead of buying a new radio or radioS...

Greg
VE3EGA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 01:07:44 PM »

Check out the FLEX Radios especially the Flex1500...

PowerSDR (the PC Interface software) allows the user to customize the display for transvertor use. Go to the site, there is a demo you can d/l.

Only the Flex1500 is designed for transvertor use.

ve3ega
KA9CCH

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 01:09:12 PM »

Another alternative is, use Ham Radio Deluxe to display the output frequency of the transverter.  I've used it with my IC735 and ten tec 6 mtr transverter, works well, you have more rigs to choose from and its freeware.

KA9CCH
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 11:07:13 AM »

The Elecraft K2 when used in conjunction with the Elecraft 6m, 2m, 1.25m transverters will show the direct frequency, and will auto switch to the desired transverter.
VE7DQ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 03:47:45 PM »

According to the instruction manual page 50, the Kenwood TS-850 is capable of displaying 50, 144 and 430 MHz when using a transverter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: