Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jeep Antenna Application  (Read 9468 times)
W6MAZ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2011, 09:21:42 PM »

I have dealt with this exact issue and found that the best location for me was on the window frame. I bought a pair of "Mirror Mover" brackets from quadratech (the ones that attach to the fold-down hinges). I drilled out the hole enough to fit a PL-259 mount and added an antenna. It gets the antenna up nice and high, keeps the feedline short, and leaves very little metal in the way of the antenna. In fact it works so well, that I rarley have to use more than 5 watts to hit the repeaters I use regularly.
WE8Q

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2011, 12:02:14 PM »

I believe a half wave antenna would not require a ground plane.  I use one off the rear door of my Tahoe with good results.
KE5MJS

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2013, 09:05:37 AM »

Does no one recommend a 1/2 wave no-ground-plane for this situation? I thought it would be better for a situation like this.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2013, 07:06:57 PM »

how about a pair of  2m halos and a pair of 440 halo's these can be mounted in the rear on the corner on a mast and will also be very strong.  check out M2inc.com
N5OHQ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2013, 08:23:14 AM »

1/2 wave is the way to go get one of the cb mounts for the JK's take a piece of flat iron from Lowes and extend it past the edge of the tire and mount your favorite 1/2 wave antenna works great and mine is about 3 inches below the top of the rag top.
K3RK

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2013, 02:44:27 PM »

I have a 2010 Wrangler Unlimited with a hard top and soft rop. The rig is a 706MK2 (10 watts on 2M). VHF/UHF antenna is a 1/2 wave 2M with a UHF connector mounted on a Diamond K400 3/8C using a UHF to 3/8 adapter. I adjusted the antenna to get the best transmitted signal strength at 147MHz for the local repeaters. The K400 is on the rear gate and works reasonably well out to about 15 to 20 miles from the repeaters. The terain here in Western PA is NOT flat.

For HF I have a stainless steel bar that mounts between the spare tire and the body and a ground strap to the frame. I use a homemade matching coil per the K0BG web site and have had good results on 20M and 40M working both stateside and DX. The base of the HF antenna is

Prior to the Wrangler I had a 1998 Jeep Cherokee with the same equipment and antennas. The HF antenna used another Diamond K 400. The HF antenna was on the lift gate and the VHF was on the roof rack. The performance of both antennas was slightly better on the Cherokee, probably due to the fact that the base of the antennas was about 6" to 12" higher and the roof of the Cherokee provided at least some measure of an RF ground that was about a foot higher off the ground.

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: