Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: USS Yorktown on air as NWKJ first time call has been heard in 41 years  (Read 5734 times)
W4JLE

Ignore
« on: March 06, 2011, 10:33:51 PM »

USS Yorktown back on the air!
-Fred Hambrecht W4JLE/NNN0AAG-

On May 14, 2011 the call sign NWKJ will be heard on the airwaves for the first time in forty one years. Yorktown will be activated by South Carolina Navy Marine Corp MARS members as well as operators from other states in Region Four for the annual military cross band test. Yorktown has been the site for WA4USN on the amateur bands under the auspices of the Charleston Amateur Radio Society; however this will be the first use of Yorktown’s military call since its decommissioning. It required that Yorktown be relisted in ACP 113 to allow the use of the “Fighting lady’s” military call on military frequencies.
The amateur frequencies being listened to will be announced by the operators on the frequencies listed below. QSL cards will be sent to all contacts.

Yorktown will be operating on the following frequencies:

USS YORKTOWN (CV-10) (14 MAY 1200Z - 15 MAY 0400Z)

FREQUENCY EMISSION AMATEUR BAND
4010.0 KHZ LSB 80M
7348.0 KHZ LSB 40M
14478.5 KHZ USB 20M
20994.0 KHZ USB 15M
POC: Fred Hambrecht NNN0GBS
ADDRESS: 129 Indian Trace Court
Gilbert, SC 29054
COMMERCIAL: 803-657-3602

The USS Yorktown (CV-10) was the tenth aircraft carrier to serve in the United States Navy. Under construction as Bon Homme Richard, this new Essex-class carrier was renamed Yorktown in honor of Yorktown (CV-5), sunk at the epic Battle of Midway (June 1942). Built in an amazing 16 ½ months at Newport News, Virginia, Yorktown was commissioned on April 15, 1943. Yorktown participated significantly in the Pacific Offensive that began in late 1943 and ended with the defeat of Japan in 1945. Yorktown received the Presidential Unit Citation and earned 11 battle stars for service in World War II. Much of the Academy Award-winning (1944) documentary "The Fighting Lady" was filmed aboard Yorktown.

In the 1950's, Yorktown was modified with the addition of and angled deck to better operate jet aircraft in her role as an attack carrier (CVA). In 1958, Yorktown was designated an anti-submarine aircraft carrier (CVS), and would later earn 5 battle stars for service off Vietnam (1965-1968). The ship also recovered the Apollo 8 astronauts and capsule (December 1968). Yorktown was decommissioned in 1970 and placed in reserve.
1975, Yorktown was towed from Bayonne, NJ to Charleston to become the centerpiece of Patriots Point Naval and Maritime Museum.
WZ3O

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 07:03:11 PM »

OK, before W4JLE's post turns into an "raging" issue I'd like to venture some clarity. IE, "Mars" Ops transmit on "Mars" Freqs, Hams listen. Then, Hams transmit on Ham Freqs, which the "Mars" ops listen to. It's been referred to by many names, Cross-Band, Cross-Freq, Split Ops etc & so on, regardless it's legal & been done many times as the "ANNUAL ARMED FORCES DAY CROSSBAND MILITARY/AMATEUR RADIO COMMUNICATIONS TEST".

Set up "SPLIT" with your Rec. VFO to listen to MARS freqs, then your transmit VFO to Ham freq. to which they listen. You hear them & they hear you, all perfectly legal operation.

My reason for this "commentary/clarification", W4JLE's post elsewhere got many, many "points" raised, of which, IMNSHO, more then a few, showed the inability to thoroughly read & comprehend a very simple concept......... Leading me to scratch my head in wonderment....

OK then, I feel better now.... Tongue
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 07:15:31 PM by KB3RPE » Logged
KG4YMC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 11:21:10 AM »

thanks for making the point it will be split, my radio not really set up for split, may have to dig out swl reciver  old dx440, wonder how many will keep calling  and not get it ? kg4ymc
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: