Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Other than "5-9"  (Read 11187 times)
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2011, 08:12:00 PM »

I never lie on my signal reports and don't expect people to do the same for rsending them.  I gave and received 2-2 reports before, LOL.

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2011, 10:18:02 AM »

"I gave and received 2-2 reports before, LOL."

Me, too, but not during a typical contest or for most of the DX that I work. Some of the club sprints encourage slower speeds and honest reports, however, and I *try* to accommodate that, but the urge to give a quick 59(9) is sometimes hard to resist.

It's like school, some classes give a letter grade, and some are pass/fail. If you make it in to the log, you passed. I go with the flow on this one.
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2011, 05:14:08 PM »

"I am a believer in honest signal reports."

I'm a believer of accurate reports except to contest stations.  I know they want to make as many Qs as possible.  SO, to make it faster for them, and because they aren't interested in an accurate report, I give them the standard 5nn or 59.

Believe me when I say I don't believe I'll worry about what other ops believe about giving signal reports.

Best from Tucson
Bob
NN4RH

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2011, 03:55:13 AM »

Signal reports are subjective anyway. How can something subjective be "accurate"?

Another mistake people tend to make is assuming that a signal report is some measure of the other guy's transmitted signal. It's not. It's what is being received. Any given transmission can be a 5-9  or  1-1 or anything in between depending on location, antennas, equipment, filters, RF gain, etc. . . . How can anything be "accurate" if there's no way to "calibrate" it.

Personally I think the traditional RST signal report was never meant to be "accurate". There's no way it can be.

KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2011, 10:51:57 AM »

I have had people give me reports like 5-6...5-7 in contests before,
and they go in the logging program as 5-9.
I am not taking the time to change the default.
In all my LCR's, I have never had a Q bounced because the RST
was "WRONG"

I chalk it up to a contest NOOBIE and move on.
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2011, 11:07:23 AM »

I have had people give me reports like 5-6...5-7 in contests before,
and they go in the logging program as 5-9.
I am not taking the time to change the default.
In all my LCR's, I have never had a Q bounced because the RST
was "WRONG"

I chalk it up to a contest NOOBIE and move on.

Is that normal for contest sponsors to not check signal reports, and is that maybe how the 59(9) thing got started?

The only test (sprint, actually) that I submit logs to (so far) is one of the few that encourages honest signal reports. I don't mind honest reports I just don't want to log them when I'm holding a frequency. But I recently discovered that the RST is NOT part of the log submission. They don't check it. So now I can go ahead and give any report I think they deserve (and them to me) and I won't sweat it because it is getting logged as 599 X 2.

Glad I finally figured that out...

KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2011, 07:23:08 PM »

I have no idea how they accomplish the log checking,
but if available, I always check my Log Checking Report,
and I have never seen a contact bounced.

I have also been in contests where some participants apparently
didn't READ the rules and specifically the EXCHANGE Section because
they insist on sending an RST when RST is NOT part of the exchange.

I chalk them up to noobies too.

In normal DXing, a correct RST is fine by me, but in a contest
situation where the idea is to make Q's as fast as possible, trying to
give HONEST RST is just a waste of valuable time.
NN4RH

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2011, 03:34:54 AM »

In normal DXing, a correct RST is fine by me,

About all I ever hear in DX pileups is "59", too.

I wonder how many of these people who complain that contesters don't give "honest" signal reports, would refuse a QSL card from a needed DX entity if during the contact they asked for repeats then gave a 59 report? Wouldn't they think that accepting a QSL card under those circumstances is "fraudulant"?

NN3W

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2011, 04:46:39 AM »

Hell, on many DXpedition QSLs, the 599 or 59 is PRE-PRINTED on the card.

The QSL manager simply circles which one it was - depending on the mode.
NN4RH

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2011, 01:58:53 PM »

And by the way, ARRL's Logbook Of The World doesn't even include RST in the data records as far as I can tell. Obviously as far as ARRL LOTW is concerned, RST is not necessary to make an "official" QSO, so why worry about whether it's "accurate" or not? 

Are we going to also insist that people report "accurate" antenna heights? "accurate" age? 
N5MOA

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2011, 05:36:51 AM »

Other than 5-9?

Depends. Preamp on or off? AGC on or off? With the AGC off, everyone is a "0" on the meter.  Tongue

I just go with whatever the dx wants. If they want a "real" report, I'll look at the meter, and tell them what it shows. Otherwise, I 5-9 and move on.

Contest are always 59/599.

Most dxpeds, not all, H40FN comes to mind in wanting a "real" rst, (got and gave some pretty weak reports from the mobile on that one) just want to 59/599 and go.

I've worked other dx stations that got/gave different reports, then received the qsl card with 59 in the rst column.

The only dxped that I can remember that cared about a "real" signal report was a Pacific dxped op I worked on 17m late one evening. He had just shown up on the band, and wanted to know which antenna was stronger toward NA.
Not spotted yet, no one else calling,  we had a nice 5 minute chat while he A/B checked his antennas. He was 5/7 on one, 5/5 on the other.

Of course, that all happened after we had exchanged 5/9 reports.
N7VEA

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2011, 06:01:33 AM »

59 or 5NN is the least important part of the QSO in my opinion, especially in a contest.  After all, once I log his call, name, serial number, CQ zone, ITU zone, 10-10 number, state and county or whatever other exchange is required, does it really matter?  We communicated the other stuff just fine.  A signal report might have been important info a few decades ago when the rigs weren't as sophisticated as they are today, but I'm not so sure today.  I don't lose alot of sleep over it...

I understand the dx station interested in which antenna was working better, although that is a bit subjective as well.  He might get a different opinion here in 7land than he would where you live, and I'll guarantee that he'll get a better reception report from the guy 3 miles west of me with the 3 50' towers loaded with beams than he'll get from my little backyard vertical.  We won't talk about the other guy who pumps out a kw on his 350 mile ragchew.  5x9 and 20 over OM.  But you're throwing a blanket over half the band and nobody can copy the dx stations, or anything else for that matter.  That's "Other than '5-9'" to me  Wink

Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: