Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARRL SSB Sweepstake  (Read 774 times)
N7GCO

Ignore
« on: November 16, 2007, 09:47:29 PM »

Any hints on how to approach the ARRL SSB Sweepstake this weekend? Have never done this contest before.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 03:16:16 AM »

Right down your exchange on a post-it note for instant reference.  Other than that, have fun.  Listen up on 15 and 10 during mid day and also don't forget to listen on 40 during late afternoon for local stuff.
N0UY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 04:20:20 PM »

Make certain to use a rig that has some filters for SSB.  Mine does not, and it is a disaster.  That's why I prefer the CW contests.  I have lots of filters for that mode.

GL   Ray
KC0SHZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 05:47:50 PM »

My next radio will have SSB filters for this very reason.  20 meters was a mess on Saturday afternoon.  40 meters was hard to separate stations and 80 meters had static crashes and a high noise floor.

Still though, despite this, I made first contact to the Yukon, Alberta,Utah, Montana, West Virginia, and Arizona.

I won't be sending in my measily points, but I had fun.   I think I liked CQWW better as I now have QSO cards from Japan.

Love these QSO cards.  A lot of people don't seem to do them, but for me as a new guy still working on a WAS and a Worked All Provinces in Canada, they are fun to get and really help.

This contest seems to be a great way to make contacts, better than just nets and answering the random CQ.

I will be back.
KI9A

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 06:11:15 PM »

KC0SHZ:

It is addictive, and after a few years, it is nice to hear friends on, and exchange quick hello's.

73- Chuck KI9A
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 05:38:54 AM »

It is quite pratical and possible to work SSB contest without special filters.  Although the filters do help some, there is a limit on how narrow you can go before the signal becomes unintelligible.  They are not as helpful in SSB as in CW for that very reason.  However with practice, one can deal successfully with the "mess" during a major SSB contest.  

Having said all that though, I would recommend that you get a filter when you can.  If you cannot add to your radio internally, try an outboard audio filter.
KC2RVD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 05:49:11 AM »

I only had a chance to work the contest for a total time of about 2 hours... made 25 contacts in 23 different sections... I probably will not send in my log, but it was fun.  I can definitely see the need for some sort of filtering as the bands were crowded, but then again I was using a 20 year old TenTec Triton IV at 100 watts out if I was lucky.  Still easily made contacts in California, and Washington State with only a dipole up 30 feet...  

Also it seemed a vast majority of the ops were running some sort of power amp, but then again that could be because with my compromise antenna I could only hear the strong ones with the bands being so crowded.
KI4PRK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 10:38:28 AM »

I had a lot of fun. 103 QSO's in 71 sections, about 9 "casual hours" of contesting (which relates to something like 4 hours of hard core contesting). I'll send in my log as a check log and to get the pin. Next stop: CQ WW! 73, de Brennen KI4PRK age 13
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 06:07:06 PM »

Congrats to everyone who worked some contacts.  Best way to get your feet wet.  And experience will service well, including dealing with all the QRM.  Set some personal goals for the next time, and work to achieve them.
KI9A

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 03:09:53 PM »

RE: ARRL SSB Sweepstake  Reply  
by KI4PRK on November 19, 2007

" I had a lot of fun. 103 QSO's in 71 sections, about 9 "casual hours" of contesting (which relates to something like 4 hours of hard core contesting). I'll send in my log as a check log and to get the pin. Next stop: CQ WW! 73, de Brennen KI4PRK age 13"

Brennan, thats an awesome accomplishment..71 sections?? How close were you to getting all 80? Which did you miss?  That's an awesome job, dude!

Good luck!

73-Chuck KI9A
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: