Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ameritron  (Read 6495 times)
N5KEG

Ignore
« on: March 08, 2011, 01:06:07 PM »

I place an online order with Ameritron for a ALS-500 a week ago and the order is still "processing".  The phone is always busy and the email I sent questioning if there is a problem has gone unanswered.  Is this normal?
W9PMZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 01:11:21 PM »

If you have a L4B in your car what do you want with a puny Ameritron ALS-500?

Don't know about "processing"; but their phone when I have called them is busy a lot...

Carl - W9PMZ
KG6YV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 01:20:16 PM »

Yes the phone is often busy, but I have actually been connected to a human being.
They probably need to run another batch of ALS500s through their manufacturing process.  Everything
they make is done in "batches" time-sharing the production line between different products in batches.

Greg
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 01:23:50 PM »

I called HRO and they have them in stock.  You could have one tomorrow if you wished.

Why order from "the factory?"  Usually their prices are higher and they have almost no inventory, since the dealers carry all the inventory.

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-004614

N5KEG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 01:27:56 PM »

Lessons learned the hard way. 
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 01:34:00 PM »

Lessons learned the hard way. 

I guess so.  I see several dealers all over the country have the ALS-500M in stock.

This is a very typical business method: Build for dealers, dealers carry all the inventory, customers buy from them.  Not many manufacturers can sell anything "directly" from the factory.

Try buying a Kenwood that way, or a car, or a toaster, or a pair of blue jeans...or much of anything, really.

KD8GKR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 09:58:36 PM »

if it is still "processing", i would see if it can be canceled. Order from HRO, save a $100 and get free shipping. Just a thought........
N5KEG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 08:01:51 AM »

I agree, however I have not been able to get a responce to my email, or get through on the phone, 662-323-8211, to check on the order, let alone cancel it.
N5KEG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 08:12:35 AM »

I finally reached them by phone.  Als-500 orders are backed up at least three weeks I was told.  I was able to cancel the order, and will call HRO right now.  Thanks
N5KEG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 08:28:58 AM »

Thanks guys for the advice and saving me some $$$$.  One would think the factory could sell them cheaper that the Ham stores that need to make profit on the sale.   Lessons learned, shop around, get advice, and don't ASSume anything.
VE3CX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 09:36:37 AM »

One would think the factory could sell them cheaper that the Ham stores that need to make profit on the sale.

Yes - they CAN undercut the dealers.  If they did that, their dealers would be pretty quick to complain about it, and they would quickly loose their distribution channel.  Manufacturers typically sell at "Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price".  Dealers undercut that, and everyone is happy.

Same as when you buy a car from a dealer - not direct from the factory...  The factory is not really set up to handle end user sales.

Tom - VE3CX
KG8JF

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 05:34:55 AM »

Indeed, why order from the factory.  They are higher priced than the big box distributors like AES and HRO
W9CW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 10:46:09 AM »

If an amateur radio manufacturer has a dealer network, and if they also sell their products directly to the ham, the manufacturer typically sells the product at MSRP to support the dealer network.  A manufacturer doesn't "compete" with their dealer network per se, otherwise it would get very messy.  In the amateur industry, the factory to dealer discount varies from 10% to 25%, i.e. MSRP - Dealer Discount = Dealer Cost.  (BTW... this discount structure is much higher in the true consumer electronics industry, typically 40%).  Of course, the discount is flexible in the amateur industry based upon numerous factors, two of which is the MSRP and quarterly sales volume of a specific product.

Some manufacturers use a "factory-direct" sales model.   Historically, most manufacturers set up dealer networks.  In doing so, the manufacturer presumed the dealer would provide some after sale support, thereby somewhat "earning" their manufacturer to dealer discount.  However, some manufacturers felt that their dealer network didn't provide sufficient after sales customer support, rather they were only taking orders and moving boxes.   This was especially so on complex products where such problems are better addressed by factory customer service personnel.  Hence, their choice of a factory direct sales model.

All manufacturers in the amateur radio industry schedule "runs" of their individual products.  These production runs are scheduled based upon sales or sales projections.  Depending on the product type, the production runs can be as small as 50 pieces, or 100, or more.  It's totally depending on the sales picture.  If you happen to be a manufacturer with a large number of products, the production runs must be scheduled, sometimes with long lead times, as the manufacturer only has a finite production capacity.

Don W9CW

K5ML

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 10:47:13 PM »

Ameritron can be hard to call due to the frequent busy signal. The best time to get through that I've found is to start calling as soon as they open. I believe they open at 9 a.m. Central.
WB7RYP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 04:37:33 PM »

I to have had a hard time contacting Ameritron.  Bought a new AL82, not from factory and it was delivered D.O.A.  Believing that the transformer was the culprit I called numerous time's and got only a busy signal.  Tried E-Mail and received several responses of things to try.  They all did nothing to power up the amp.  Since then they have ignored all E-Mail and of course phone calls.   
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: