Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Use of words?  (Read 7078 times)
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 09:33:46 PM »

Yeasu.

Or Yaseau (I've seen it both ways).

FCOL, it's right there on the front panel of the radio!

Imply/infer.  Convince/persuade.  Persons/people.  Accept/except.  Affect/effect.

73 (not 73's)
Pat K7KBN

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
N8CMQ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2011, 09:35:40 PM »

TNX OM E 73S CUL

Is texting so new, and have abbreviations just started to bother people?
When I was only operating CW, we knew who was on a keyboard, VS a straight key by their verbosity.
Spelling and grammar are important, however, in most casual communications they take a back seat to efficient speed of thought transfer.
If the fact that someone is spelling poorly, or using poor grammar is upsetting, maybe we should relax and remember, they are not getting paid to write.
So when I am using a straight key, I will continue using abbreviations, and when typing, I'll try to use my better English...
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2011, 11:44:44 PM »

GOOD GRIEF!  There really ARE other people who notice!  You have no idea how much pent up frustration this post has released.  Just one correction, though.  The post below is doubtless correct.  It merely describes the a group of HAMS (intentional) who are spinning out of control.
Tom DGN 

How about 'Armature radio'.  Incorrectly spelled or just plain dumb?
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 01:22:09 AM »

'Armature radio' .That's a radio going round and round, presumably while commutating!
AB2RC

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 05:11:27 AM »

Movie recommendation: Idiocracy

No radio content, but a great & funny (and more or less unknown) movie
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2011, 05:14:49 AM »

TNX OM E 73S CUL

I think it should be TNX OM ES 73 CUL

Is texting so new, and have abbreviations just started to bother people?

It's not about texting; I understand the limitations of the keypad and message length. Abbreviations and shortcuts have their place. I consider the intelligent use of abbreviations, prosigns and Q signals to be one of the marks of the truly good CW operator - on CW.

What I and others are on about is the apparent increase in mistakes of word use and punctuation. Many of those mistakes take more keystrokes than doing it the right way! ("Loose" is longer than "lose", the all-caps "HAM" requires the shift key, etc.).

When I was only operating CW, we knew who was on a keyboard, VS a straight key by their verbosity.
Spelling and grammar are important, however, in most casual communications they take a back seat to efficient speed of thought transfer.

Doing it the right way is more efficient IMHO. See above examples.

If the fact that someone is spelling poorly, or using poor grammar is upsetting, maybe we should relax and remember, they are not getting paid to write.

I think people should try to do things the right way regardless of whether they're being paid. In the case of writing, it shows respect for oneself and for the reader. What's most aggravating is when it becomes apparent that the writer not only doesn't know (ignorance) but doesn't care (apathy/disrespect).

Here's an analogy:

Suppose I invite you to my house for burgers and hot dogs on the grill. And you find that the burgers are dry and overdone, while the hot dogs are barely warm. It turns out I didn't even try to cook them properly, I just tossed everything on the grill and hoped for the best.

Would that be OK because I wasn't being paid to cook?  

Some years back I encountered a ham online whose spelling, grammar and punctuation were truly awful. He'd spell the same word incorrectly three different ways in the same paragraph! It took serious effort to read his stuff.

People would ask, beg, plead for him to use a spellchecker, but he didn't. After repeated questions, it came out that he knew his stuff was awful all along. He didn't use a spellchecker or grammar checker because it would slow him down too much. He said that his time was too valuable for him to waste it fixing up his many errors. He said his words and thoughts were so important that the reader should do the fixing.

The response from readers was that we simply stopped reading his stuff. It was just too much work, and why bother when the writer didn't respect the reader enough to even try to get it right?

73 de Jim, N2EY  
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2011, 05:40:44 AM »

Recieve rather than receive.

I before E except after C and sometimes in words like Neighbor and Weigh.

The poor spelling and poor grammar here at eham.net shows that some folks don't care. If they don't care enough to write correctly I can't care enough to answer their question.

They often post a semi-illiterate question with convoluted logic then disappear forever as hams take their time to be helpful and answer the ambiguous question.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2011, 07:07:45 AM »

And then there are the folks who don't know the difference between ADVISE and ADVICE. Sad

Advice is what one gives or receives; advise is the act of doing so.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2011, 07:12:53 AM »

Recommended reading is 'Eats Shoots and Leaves' by Lynn Truss.
W5FYI

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2011, 08:01:56 AM »

The best advice about my apostrophes came from an editor I worked for. He said, "Treat them like power tools; if you don't know how to use them, it's best to leave them alone."
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2011, 12:40:34 PM »

Recommended reading is 'Eats Shoots and Leaves' by Lynn Truss.

Great Book. I laughed myself silly the first time I read it.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2011, 12:43:09 PM »

The best advice about my apostrophes came from an editor I worked for. He said, "Treat them like power tools; if you don't know how to use them, it's best to leave them alone."

I like that analogy.

NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2011, 02:22:33 PM »

Here`s something that really gripes me on the internet. People who WrItE LiKe ThIs FoR An EnTiRe PaRaGrApH! (I think they call it ebonics. I call it stupid). So much for edgemecation... Cheesy
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2011, 04:51:15 PM »

Another couple that just occurred to me:

a/an... "I have a amplifier...".  Vowel sound immediately after the article, use "an".

an/and... "I have and amplifier...".  Why the "d"?

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
KN7F

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2011, 06:30:05 PM »

Until my dad passed away, I was the world's second worst speller.  But that is what spell checkers are for. And, "When all else fails", ask the wife.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: