Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "novice" cw frequencies??  (Read 9291 times)
N7SOC

Ignore
« on: March 09, 2011, 07:18:31 PM »

am just about ready to jump into the "cw" pool but speed will be quite slow after 50 years of inactivity.  Are there any particular frequencies
on the bands where the "novices" or slowpokes are working??  Cheesy   just need to get familiar with a few more letters!  thanks, ski, n7soc
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 07:43:32 PM »

Welcome back.

80M: lots of places especially above 3.540
40M: above 7.040, especially 7.050 - 7.060 and 7.110 - 7.120
30M: above 10.112 and below 10.120
20M: 14.050-14.060

I probably missed some spots, anyone have some more?

You might consider joining the SKCC and/or the NAQCC (which runs a slow speed net every Sunday night on 80M). Both clubs tend to cater to slower speeds in general.

http://www.skccgroup.com/

http://naqcc.info/

The bands are really starting to heat up - this is a great time to come back!

73, Geoff
KU5Q

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 07:00:06 AM »

am just about ready to jump into the "cw" pool but speed will be quite slow after 50 years of inactivity.  Are there any particular frequencies
on the bands where the "novices" or slowpokes are working??  Cheesy   just need to get familiar with a few more letters!  thanks, ski, n7soc

I'm on most every day early am/pm. I'll be listening for u and look forward to working u. Welcome back.
N7SOC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 07:09:25 PM »

Smiley  thanks, guys....appreciate the responses...and, KU5Q, i'll be listening for you...
KU5Q

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 08:09:27 PM »

Smiley  thanks, guys....appreciate the responses...and, KU5Q, i'll be listening for you...

ur welcome es no prob im sure well meet on cw sometime soon
KE7WAV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 06:32:54 PM »

check out the skcc sked page and you will find lots of ops that are willing to work at slow speeds, or check out the Elmer's page.
Good luck and c u down the log.
PS. Feel free to email me and setup a sked.
WA7RBC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 08:11:37 PM »

Ski, I'm in about the same situation as you.  I've been operating around the frequencies given by AE4RV on 40 mtrs, and found the ops there friendly and quite willing to help a rusty operator.  I'm sure you'll have the same (pleasant) experience.

By the way, I grew up in Washington and have been to Ocean Shores many times, what a great QTH!  I have pretty good luck propagating a signal your way late in the afternoon on 40, send me an email and lets schedule a QSO!

73, Ron.
NA7U

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 05:06:39 AM »

Actually, I hear slow ops all over the bands these days (not complaining, just noting!).

You really should contact FISTS (fists.org) and they might be able to put you in touch with a code buddy. Nothing will improve your speed like real QSOs. I'd be happy to set up a sked with you, but I'm probably too far from you for consistent communications.  Undecided

vy 73,

Casey, TI2/NA7U

W7ARE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 10:43:38 AM »

I work in the 7.110 to 7.120 area of 40 meters after 0300Z (8:00p.m. Arizona time). There is no shortage of ops working 10 wpm or less, and always one or two working along at 5 wpm or less. We all take great pleasure in working with anyone new to, or coming back to, CW and you will find you are received quite warmly. On 40 meters, the 7.100 - 7.125 segment is one of the old "novice" bands from much earlier years. Good luck, hang in there and we'll see you soon, I hope.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: