Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can the IC-V8000 be unmodified?  (Read 8722 times)
N0VJN

Ignore
« on: March 19, 2011, 01:39:11 PM »

Recently bought a used modded IC-V8000.  I have transmit disabled as I use it as a scanner.  I'd like to "unmod" the radio, but didn't do the original mod.  Any ideas as to how I go about reverse modding the IC-V8000??  Thanks !
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 04:40:23 PM »

Do you know for sure the transmitter is "disabled" or could it be broken.

Dick  AD4U
N0VJN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 06:28:13 PM »

The radio works fine, I turned the transmit option off myself in the settings  because I wanted to use it as a scanner at the time. I didn't want to use it modified.  So, whether it transmits or not is not what I'm concerned about, whether or not it can be "unmodified" is what I'm looking for.  Any ideas?? 
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 06:43:13 PM »

Try researching what the "mod" involved.  Then take off the covers and inspect the radio to see if, in your opinion, it can be unmodified.  I wouldn't have any idea of just what had to be clipped, moved, added, etc.

You might need an operator's manual and a service manual.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 07:02:50 PM »

For the sake of explanation only, there is a way to 'un'mod the V8000.  I will assume you are referring to the expanded transmit feature.  A diode (surface mounted) has to be replaced on the logic board, then a general CPU reset has to be done.  I don't know the value of the diode, but the diode location can be found at this site:

http://www.kb2ljj.com/data/icom/IC-V8000.htm

There are other mods that can be done, however, this is the most common.  If you're talking of another modification, look through online sites through Google or your favorite search engine.  You can find most anything on the web these days.
N0VJN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 07:07:02 PM »

Thanks for the link, I've got the cover off the rig now and with check the indicated area.  As far as I know, it's only had the expanded mod, but time will tell as I look around.

Update:  Looks like the expanded tx/rx mod is the only one done.  I now need to replace the D13 component.  I found in the manual that D13 is a MA2S111 switching diode (cross reference - 1N4148WS Diode).  Looks like someone just crushed the diode, so may be able to clean up the solder areas and put a new  one in.  Man, talk about a small component to work with!!   Shocked
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 07:53:44 PM by N0VJN » Logged
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 06:45:47 AM »

I do not know specifically about this rig, but most surface mount diodes used in THIS APPLICATION can be replaced by a $0.10 glass silicon diode, if there is enough room.  Something like a 1N914 or 1N4148 or any similar glass silicon diode with wire leads will do. If there is room you can cut the leads as short as possible and curl them around the glass body so it will fit in the space.  It does not hurt anything if the diode body hangs over some other diodes.  

I have used glass diodes with wire leads to "repair" numerous rigs that have been "modified" (or screwed up by people trying to modify them) by removing surface mount diodes.

They are available at Radio Shack for a few cents.

Dick  AD4U
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 07:21:43 AM by AD4U » Logged
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 05:33:57 AM »

I've done that too, Dick.  The space in this rig is at a premium, however, and I don't think that that little glass diode would fit there--at least from the last time I took the one I have apart.  The replacement surface mount diode doesn't cost much--It's just harder to get.

Man, talk about a small component to work with!! 

Yep.  Sure is.  That's why I specified 'surface mount' in my post!   Grin
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 06:01:28 AM »

As Dick said, the diode is common and costs pennies. However, there may be a space issue. The other thing is that if you want to replace the original SMD, you have to have proper tips and iron for it. You do not want one that us too hot.

If that is the only mod, I would just leave it and transmit on the bands that the rig was supposed to transmit on.
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 09:21:33 AM »

If I may ask a question , Why do you want it unmodified? The radio is designed to do it all , you loose absolutely nothing nor would you gain anything from "un-modification". The reason the modification is there is so they can distribute the same radio to many countries that have a different band plan. So people put out rumors that doing a modification to a radio like MARS/CAP reduces sensitivity or whatever which is nothing more than a rumor.

AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 01:42:50 PM »

N4NYY is right. Besides, why risk damaging the radio?
KD8DEY

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 10:05:18 PM »

Since it is modded you could always sell it on E-bay at a profit, Then buy an unmodified one and
pocket the difference...... Smiley
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 04:55:12 AM »

The people pointing out that the proper iron is needed are right--you may end up doing more damage than good with an improper one.  Sorry I didn't touch on that.  I've got a ten watt Antec iron that I use for things like that.

If I may ask a question , Why do you want it unmodified? The radio is designed to do it all , you loose absolutely nothing nor would you gain anything from "un-modification".

Some people just don't want to take the chance that they'll be caught with a modded radio.  They're afraid that someone will check it--or that they'll make a mistake programming it.  That is reason enough to undo the mod. 
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 05:35:32 AM »

Some people just don't want to take the chance that they'll be caught with a modded radio.  They're afraid that someone will check it--or that they'll make a mistake programming it.  That is reason enough to undo the mod. 

It's not illegal to mod the radio. It's illegal to transmit on bands that the radio was not intended to transmit on. It your radio. You can do whatever you want to it, including pouring gas on it if you want. The FCC does have have "radio mod police" circling the USA.

Secondly, some people do MARS or 60M, which are not in the normal TX bandplan.

Really, I am not sure why there is so much discussion on this. This is not that big of a deal. If won't harm the radio, and if the op doesn;t trasnmit on those bands, there is no problem.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 04:10:46 PM »

Some people just don't want to take the chance.  Some communities have restrictions on what radios can be put in cars (especially in New York state) and radios have been known to have been confiscated and examined.  If the radio was proven to be able to be programmed for a non-ham frequency, (public service bands are right above the 144 mhz ham band) it is possible that the person who it belongs to can be in some very hot water.

It HAS happened.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: