Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NMO Mount variations  (Read 1259 times)
AB4D

Ignore
« on: March 25, 2011, 09:57:12 AM »

This weekend I plan to install an NMO mount on my fairly new truck.  In anticipation, I ordered an allegedly original Motorola NMO mount -1/4 wave antenna kit from a vendor on ebay.

Yesterday, I received the kit.  The packaging and instructions appear to be OEM Motorola, but the physical appearance of the mount looks different than I am used to seeing.  I did not take it out of the package yet, in case I want to return the item.

I have an older Larsen NMO, which has the silver body, 3/4 thread, double threaded brass ring (inside and outside), and the insulated center conductor. Typical of what you see if you Google NMO Mount.

However, the mount I received is a little different when viewed from the top. It has the same threaded brass ring as a typical NMO and the bottom ears look about the same as a typical NMO.  However, it seems to be flat on top, and almost has an etched circuit board appearance. To visualize it sort of looks like a round circuit board. On the board there is a round "trace" area in the middle to contact the antenna, which is surrounded by an outer ring (trace) which is open on one end.

I searched the net but could not find a photo anywhere of an NMO that looks like the one I received.

Anyone ever seen one like this?  Any good?

Thanks for any assistance.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 12:37:56 PM »

The ones made by Tram look slightly different than the Motorola or Maxrad ones. The center contact is slightly higher than the Motorola ones, and it surrounded by a plastic insulator about 3/8 inch or so in diameter. In some cases, they're passible, but don't properly mate up with the older coils. You save money buying Tram products, but it still isn't as good as the real thing.

Tram also makes one to fit a 3/8 inch hole, and they aren't worth the effort. Look here:

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=NMO+connector&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Which item did you get?

AB4D

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 02:54:16 PM »

Alan,

Thanks for responding to my inquiry.  This is almost the exact item I purchased from the same seller. However, I purchased the version with the PL 259.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Motorola-Wave-VHF-144-150-HAM-Antenna-Coax-Kit-/200559743992?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb24ad3f8

They advertise it as all genuine Motorola, but the small photo makes it hard to tell.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: