Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Power Cable Help  (Read 6506 times)
AC8DQ

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2011, 10:54:53 AM »

I didn't intended to start a heated debate, but I have found this discussion to be very educational.

I do have a follow up question in regards to my original topic. 

If I go with the 8 guage on the power cables, what is the best way to get them attached to a RigRunner 4005H?  It looks like I would need a 75 amp Power Pole connector on the power cables.  I don't have the 4005H yet, but from the pictures it looks like it uses the 30/45 amp connectors.  The other option would be to just connect the 8 gauge power cable to the IC-7000 power cable directly, but this seems limiting.

Also, would 60 amp fuses be to much on both power cables just down from the battery?

Thanks!

Bill
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2011, 12:29:46 PM »

You use the 45 amp ones, with the correct contacts for #8. If you don't have one, I suggest you go for the crimper too. $50 seems like a lot for a tool, but they make the job a whole lot easier.

By the way, they come is a variety of colors, 7 of which perfectly match the colors of the ATO fuses the 4005 Rig Runner comes supplied with. So you use a black for the negative, and what ever color matches the fuse being used for the positive. 

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2011, 08:15:24 AM »

John, you can argue all you want, but in this case, Chris is spot on!

Because I do not just roll on this is a argument? When does a debate become a argument? Is it when you get mad that other party does not ceed? If you want to nix CAPS that is your call but do not e so bold as to suggest that they are in effect wasted effort because they work very well.

John, it may have been discussion when it first started, but with you and others repeating the same position time after time it became an argument.  I've been a part of it--and I try not to argue.  For that I apologize to you, and to everyone else.

But the fact remains that your methods don't really give the intended results that other methods do.  The other fact is that vehicle manufacturers (and just plain, old fashioned common sense) recommend heavier wiring for high current applications.  Another factor--greater resistance resulting in more heat generated and more power lost--also goes against common sense.  Another thing--no capacitor is going to make up foir that power lost in heating the wire.  In fact, it may just make it worse.

The better way is heavier gauge wiring.  No argument--just plain and simple fact.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 08:16:59 AM by K1CJS » Logged
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2011, 08:48:32 AM »

....If I go with the 8 guage on the power cables, what is the best way to get them attached to a RigRunner 4005H?  It looks like I would need a 75 amp Power Pole connector on the power cables.  I don't have the 4005H yet, but from the pictures it looks like it uses the 30/45 amp connectors.  The other option would be to just connect the 8 gauge power cable to the IC-7000 power cable directly, but this seems limiting.

Also, would 60 amp fuses be to much on both power cables just down from the battery?

Thanks!

Bill

As Alan indicated, a 45 amp connector made for 8 gauge cable needs to be used.  Could be that they're a special order.  However, I would check the rigrunner itself to make sure it has heavy enough internal connections so as not to be a weak point in the wiring harness, even if the rigrunner specs say "high current'.  They still don't put a value to the current spec.

As an alternate, maybe you should terminate the eight gauge cable in a two position terminal block and use three or four pigtail (six inch) ten gauge cables each to its own pair of powerpole connectors from the other side of the terminal block.  I also would enclose that terminal block in a plastic experimenters box that can be had at Radio Shack to protect against accidental shorts.  When I ran three transceivers and a receiver while I was a member of emergency management for my town, that is how I constructed my setup.  If you are going to leave the fuses in the radio power cable harness, that also would eliminate the redundant fuse on the rig runner itself and lessen the voltage drop a bit.

I would think that forty amp fuses (heavy duty ones, of course) at the battery would be more than enough.  The primary purpose of those fuses is to protect against shorts in that line and backfeeding from the possibility of a faulty ground connection in the vehicle electrical system.  Forty amp fuses would be able to pass amperage enough to feed two or three radios--unless you're going to run lighting or other things off the rig runner.  Even then, it's doubtful if forty amp fuses would blow under the load.

In any event, it sounds like you're good to go.  Good luck and 73!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 08:56:19 AM by K1CJS » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2011, 08:48:42 AM »

The better way is heavier gauge wiring.  No argument--just plain and simple fact.

This is not best in all scenarios. Lets agree to disagree....

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2011, 08:50:25 AM »

Agreed on that.  Let's let it stop here.  73!
MAGNUM257

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2011, 05:05:24 PM »

Ya know, all this could have been avoided had the author just plugged the darned radio into the cigarette lighter  Cheesy
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2011, 08:08:15 AM »

Here we go again...  Another wise guy who wants to burn his car!   Grin
W9MMS

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2011, 08:11:24 AM »

W8JX you've exerted an enormous amount of energy through this post just to prove you're correct. After reading most of the comments here, I must agree that it is better to err on the side of caution.
Just my $0.02 worth.

73 > Milverton.  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: