Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Japan tragedy, will it affect the “Big 3” radio suppliers?  (Read 3339 times)
KJ6EAD

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2011, 11:32:33 PM »

We've seen the official releases from Kenwood and Yaesu in links above. Here's the one from Icom: http://www.icomamerica.com/en/features/earthquake.aspx.
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2011, 10:39:25 AM »

We are going to see supply chain problems across the entire technological range. Even on US built radios we are heavily dependent upon component manufacturers in the oriental countries.

I have seen commercial products that became EOL (end of life) because they could no longer find a particular component. Think about the problems when plants that may produce a few hundred different component types are closed because of earthquake/ tsunami damage or high background radiation levels. It could take Japan a decade to completely recover their industrial and technological capabilities after such a wide ranging disaster.

With rolling black-outs how do you think a wafer furnace for making integrated circuits is going to work?

Strategically Speaking, as a country, we are stupid for allowing so much of our technology to be dependent upon any single supplier. Particularly if it is in a country that is a potential adversary. (YOU put the name of that country there... I will not say China... I will not say CHINA).

Ms. Tisha Hayes
AA4HA
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 10:41:27 AM by AA4HA » Logged

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2011, 06:38:46 PM »

I'm already seeing form letters coming from several Japanese mfrs when trying to order certain parts that can only come from them.  Teac told us that a proprietary part that is warehoused in Tokyo cannot be made available at this time due to the state of emergency, etc. 

They'll be back. 

Give it some realistic amount of time. 

STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2011, 04:16:42 AM »

I don't claim to be a psychologist, but have worked quite a few Japanese stations lately and even just after the tragedy.
Most of them are thankful for the support Japan has been getting, both materially and emotionally, but not being an efusive people, they tend to be matter of fact about the tragedy.
I can imagine that the trauma that nation is going through is bringing out coping strategies such as continuing with the normal dx'ing amongst other techniques.
All of us have our own ways of dealing with large scale human tragedy on our doorstep, whether by a sudden cataclysm such as happened to Japan, or by the constant slow motion loss of our own young soldiers on foreign battlefields.
In the end, tragedy focusses us on what is important: human life, souls and the realisation that we all share this planet which was created for man to have a place to rest after his daily toil.
Jesus said it well -  "Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted".

73 to all our fellow hams in Japan.

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: