Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Home School Amateur Radio Curriculum?  (Read 10133 times)
KD0GPZ

Ignore
« on: March 23, 2011, 11:33:35 AM »

Hello,

Can anyone point me at a youth or home-school oriented Technician curriculum? I suppose I could get the latest ARRL Tech manual and just teach from that. I'm looking at teaching a group of kids from their early to mid-teens, and at least one parent, with the goal of AT LEAST some of them going to a VE session and getting their Tech ticket.

Thanks,
Eric
KD0GPZ
AE5QB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 04:55:33 PM »

I teach math and science to middle school students.  Today's students are not interested one bit in hearing about how much you know.  They want to do so hands on is key.  They will play with words but it can't be --- watch this great PowerPoint I put together and take notes and learn.  It has to be games, card matches, computer games etc.  Yes some lecture is necessary but keep it minimal and try to frame inside an activity.

The good news is that electronics and wireless technology - (technology is the buzz word in education today while radio is old hat) - lends itself well to hands on --- if you can find some funds.

Check out the ARRL site and BSA sites for educational and Boy Scout Merit Badge programs.  I'll admit thought that I find them a bit dry.  They are made with a get-er done attitude to get a bunch of kids through a badge program in short order.  I am not saying the material is not valid, and I appreciate the effort others have taken to put it together, but I think today's kids need a bit more - and that is just my opinion.

The best deal going in the ARRL Teacher Institutes.  I think home school teachers can take it.  It is as awesome program with lots of good ideas and you go home with some cool kits that can be used directly in the classroom.  If you don't meet the qualifications for the TI, so sorry!  But you can put together your own class. Basic electronics is always good and keep it really basic.  Get some cheap meters at Harbor Freight or similar place and a handful of resistors, LEDs, motors, and buzzers.  Your imagination is the limit.

I know this isn't exactly what you were looking for and I wish there was an awesome technicians class already documented out there.  I am sure there are a lot of clubs with lots of successful information but I there is no one size fits all so it is pretty segmented.  Start with the ARRL education links, order a couple of technician licensing manuals, and check around for other clubs that have had licensing lessons in the past.  I am working on such a course for a local Boy Scouts troop merit badge program and also one I can use for a Radio and Technology Club at my school.

Good luck!
WI4P

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 12:10:28 PM »

Take a look at Hamtestonline.  Kids today live at the computer and this program really teaches and is fun.  I passed tech, general and extra with it.
K3WEC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 02:29:40 PM »

I'd suggest bringing a VE to them instead of getting them to go to a session on their own.   Make it part of the curriculum as a "test" of what they learned from the material.    Then at least they'd have it, which could be incentive for one or more to try out the hobby.

Agree with the hands-on approach.   Demo an actual QSO.  Have it set up in advance with another amateur and keep the conversation in a "that's cool" light....   You can even hand the mic to each student under your key and call and have them say "hi" and get a response.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: