Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: REMOTERIG vs. SKY COMMANDII  (Read 13479 times)
K3MOV

Ignore
« on: March 28, 2011, 01:44:53 AM »

I am a newbie to this remote business, but find it fascinating.  I have taken two steps so far which may contradict each other, and I would like some input before blundering my way forward.

I recently bought two of the latest Remoterig units when I decided that, although they were expensive they offered the simplest way for a computer dinosaur such as myself to get on remote.  I bought a used 706MkIIG in good shape so I could have separate head and radio units.  I contacted a recent college graduate in computer science who will assist me in hooking things up.

In the meantime, I bought a new Kenwood TS 590 to compare against my IC 756 PROIII.  I intended to keep the better radio and sell the "loser".  But now I see in the Kenwood manual that the 590 is "pre-wired" for Sky Command.II.

Before I make my decision between the two HF rigs, I would appreciate some input from you folks regarding the pros and cons of the Remoterig setup vs. the Sky CommandII.  If I haven't supplied you with enough information, please let me know.

Tnx es 73, Tom K3MOV
W6GF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 08:25:05 PM »

Well Tom, the TS590 maybe "ready" but you need lots more gear.  If you want a simple solution that is equipment less, the Ten-Tec OMNI Vll is the answer.  It has a true ethernet port built in.

By the way I have the Kenwood and ICOM....if you do not need the scope the Kenwood blows the ICOM away

George, W6GF
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 08:24:05 PM »

This is really an apples to oranges comparison.  The REMOTERIG system utilizes a network based connection.  Sky Command II uses a compatible, dual band, VHF/UHF radio for the connection, necessitating the purchase of another radio in addition to the TS-590.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 04:23:22 PM »

I have worked a few hams on air using "RemoteRig" with a TS-480 and they LOVE it. I have a 480 and plan to set it up with RemoteRig hardware too one day.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KY6N

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 06:24:34 AM »

The RemoteRig system is far and away the best to do HF remote.

Look at my web site www.ky6n.com and reviews on eham for the Remote Rig systems.

Sky Command is ok if all you want to do is stay on one or two freq's. and you are within range of your
base station. If you want to tune around and "work HF" you will find Sky Command is not the best way.

Remote Rig is an internet based system that I have used from all over the world. 

Over the past 10 years I have remoted many types of HF radios using remote desktop software such as VNC etc. and used Skype for the audio.  This works very well...but takes a computer at the remote end...pros and cons!

Overall, after 10 years and hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars ....the TS480 and Remote Rig is by far the best.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: