Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Field Day Modes  (Read 555 times)
N0UY

Ignore
« on: May 18, 2008, 02:36:55 PM »

Hi Everyone.  Well field day is just around the corner and I for one have been waiting to get together with friend to operate this event/contest.  We normally run two stations, one on cw, the other on ssb.  This year we are adding another station to work digital modes.  Mostly rtty and maybe some psk31.  I have never operated rtty so where is the best place to start?  What band, and etc.

tnx for the advise.

Ray   N0UY
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 03:09:39 AM »

Since you have NEVER operated RTTY, are you sure you want to jump into a contest with this mode? Yeah OK, Field Day is an emergency preparedness exercise and not a contest per se, but for all intents and purposes, it is a contest none the less.

Have you put together any sort of dedicated RTTY station yet? What software will you be running for RTTY? What contest logging software will you be using? What kind of computer will you be using? What soundcard interface will you be using?

With all due respect, this is sort of like a 15 year old who has read the book to study for their driver's license and wants to drive a race car but doesn't know which pedal is the brake and which one is the accelerator.

Scott N0IU

N0UY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 10:45:08 AM »

Hey Scott,  none taken.   We have a fellow coming to join our little group who has operated rtty in the past and is bringing all the stuff with him.  I'm not sure what bands he will be on and my main concern was how is this going to effect the other two stations.  We generally have a fair amount of interference problems already.

Time will tell.

ray
WC4V

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 06:18:18 PM »

I have ran the digital station at our field day site for several years now.  I had only used RTTY until last year.  I found that I worked PSK31 3 to 1 over RTTY, and mostly on 40M.  I would suggest running both if you maximum contacts.  Heck give SSTV a shot as well.  I did a demo on it last year, and 20M had plenty of signals!

WC4V
Steve
N0UY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 01:42:23 PM »

Thanks Steve for the good advice.  We will be experimenting this year with digital and hopefully our setup will be effective here from Northern Minnesota.  I hope I get a turn in the digital shack instead of spending 100 percent of my time doing S&P on CW.

Ray
WQ3T

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 06:09:32 AM »

I tried digital PSK31 for field day last year, but contacts were few and slow. The main reason I stressed digital was to attract the new no code guys to field day. Only one no code guy used the digital station, and that was only for an hour or two. So this year, it's back to CW. I don't care what anyone says, for field day, CW is king. You rack up double points, and faster than any other mode. It's a universal mode that even QRP rigs can use easily and effectively using solar power. Lots of points to be had using CW, and there is no shortage of know-code stations to work. Let the flames begin, or simply learn it and use it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: