Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Building shack any suggestions  (Read 16124 times)
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2013, 02:39:13 PM »

Not a "gotta have", but soundproofing is a nice thing to have in order to maintain peace and harmony in the house. Not everyone will appreciate the sounds that can emanate from you radio as much as you do!
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2013, 06:20:48 PM »

I'm finishing a new shack and use an inexpensive Dymo label maker. It has tapes for transparent labels which can be used to label a switch box, etc. When you change things. These labels can be easily removed and replaced by new ones. The white tapes can be folded back on themselves to label coax, power cables, and so forth. Dymo products are everywhere.

Good luck!

Frank
K4FMH

1 - Not a "gotta have" (and most shacks don't) but REALLY NICE to have -- a configuration in which your operating desk is not against a wall, but instead is positioned so that you can walk comfortably behind it to access the rear of the rigs, power cords, coax cables, etc.

2 - Clearly LABEL all those cords and cables --on both ends-- (I use paper "hang tags") so that you know what's connected where.

3 - Standardize the connectors on low-voltage (12V) power cords (e.g. Anderson Power Poles) and connect them to your power supply through a fused power strip (e.g. Rig Runner) rather that having multiple power cords connected to the binding posts.

4 - Document your set-up (e.g. block diagram of the "sequence" in which the rig is connected to the coax switch, swr meter, amplifier, dummy load, etc.)

5 - Have a place to keep all your user manuals handy ... easy to reach in clearly-labeled individual file-folders or some such.

Mel - KS2G

Some of the best ideas I have seen in a long time!    I agree!

KD4EBL

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2013, 07:21:16 AM »

I opened a free "dropbox" account and have uploaded PDFs of all my shack equipment. This way I can look at any piece of documentation in a manner of seconds (I also have sync a copy on my ipad). That being said, I also have a printed hardcopy in a binder at my shack that I can markup and take notes in. I keep the original manual in the box or in a file.

There is also a thread elsewher, but have a comfortable chair to sit in as well!
KC0KEK

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2013, 07:23:14 AM »

have a comfortable chair to sit in as well!

And one that doesn't creak!
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2013, 02:00:28 PM »

I haven't been in many shacks that didn't have a coffee pot including mine.
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2013, 11:14:09 AM »

Not a "gotta have", but soundproofing is a nice thing to have in order to maintain peace and harmony in the house. Not everyone will appreciate the sounds that can emanate from you radio as much as you do!

Absolutely!  I used Roxul safe and sound when I enclosed the dining room and made it in to the shack.  If I can't sleep and want to check 160m at 3am, I don't have to worry about waking my kids.  It was the best $300 I've ever spent.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
MM0ZBH

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2013, 05:00:50 PM »

How about a window to look out of?   I don't have one now as I am in the loft, but that would be on my wish list next time round.
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2013, 09:24:26 AM »

Desk/Table depth. Leave plenty of room for you to operate comfortably. My table/desk setup is 36" deep That leaves plenty of room for the radio / computer / keyboard to sit back a ways and lots of room in front of the radio to operate. My desk is fairly long and wraps around so there is room to spread out. Have a comfortable chair if you're gonna sit for a while. Also.. locate the rig next to the computer. I'm constantly back and forth between the two, especially when operating digital. Keep your most used items close. My rig is basically the center. To the right is my computer. On a riser to the left is my antenna tuner, and to the left of that on a riser is the amp (which does not get used too often). Under the risers are vhf/uhf rig, rotator control, etc. My qrz profile shows all.
K4JPN

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2013, 09:55:39 AM »

I built my shack with a 20 A separate breaker for the equipment and a separate breaker for the lights.  Both are clearly labeled at the electrical panel box.  I also put in GFI's (ground fault interrupters).   I wired a light directly over the station and here in the South put in a ceiling fan.  The light over the station is wired up like a hall light in that I can turn it on when I enter the shack at the door and turn it off when I sit down to operate and use a desk lamp.  The nice part is I turn it on when I leave the shack and can walk to the door with light on and then turn the station light off at the door.   I also put a couple of outlets at the desk level in addition to the outlets for the rig and accessories. 
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2013, 02:43:46 PM »

have a comfortable chair to sit in as well!

And one that doesn't creak!

Yeah.  Too many of us have bones that already creak!   Grin
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2013, 02:45:38 PM »

Don't forget the small fridge for the beer!
W1OD

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2013, 01:32:18 AM »

I built my shack with a 20 A separate breaker for the equipment and a separate breaker for the lights.  Both are clearly labeled at the electrical panel box.  I also put in GFI's (ground fault interrupters).   I wired a light directly over the station and here in the South put in a ceiling fan.  The light over the station is wired up like a hall light in that I can turn it on when I enter the shack at the door and turn it off when I sit down to operate and use a desk lamp.  The nice part is I turn it on when I leave the shack and can walk to the door with light on and then turn the station light off at the door.   I also put a couple of outlets at the desk level in addition to the outlets for the rig and accessories.  

Something else to consider.....  I just installed a new 20a service quad box into my shack area.  The current (Massachusetts) electrical code specifies Arc-Fault breakers for new installations, at $45.00!  The bad thing about them is you have to keep RF transmission lines away from the breaker and panel, or the RF will trip the darned breaker! It's a real PITA!!!

Steve, W1OD
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 01:35:19 AM by W1OD » Logged
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2013, 01:24:04 PM »

Absolutely!  I used Roxul safe and sound when I enclosed the dining room and made it in to the shack.  If I can't sleep and want to check 160m at 3am, I don't have to worry about waking my kids.  It was the best $300 I've ever spent.

Doesn't anyone use headphones anymore?
KL3HY

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2013, 01:37:34 PM »

Headphones work great until the time comes for you to key the transceiver and speak. Grin
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2013, 02:53:07 PM »

Headphones work great until the time comes for you to key the transceiver and speak. Grin

CW is great for those late night sessions when everyone else is asleep.

I operated the entire CQ WW DX phone contest this last weekend without uttering a single word into a microphone.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: