Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How To Fight Back Against Scammers!  (Read 15597 times)
KA1HEIX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2011, 10:00:16 AM »

Scam baiting is effective ... to ignore them is unwise. You just can't beat the humor either.
K3RMX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2011, 03:52:43 PM »

I found that the best way to regenerate flux capacitors is by using two dilithium crystals in series.

Steve, k3rmx
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2011, 02:49:51 PM »

I found that the best way to regenerate flux capacitors is by using two dilithium crystals in series.

Don't order your dilithium crystals from Fair Radio Sales in Nebraska!  These days, they're not nearly as good as the dilithium crystals we had when *I* was a Novice!

;-)
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2011, 06:03:22 PM »

Scam baiting is effective ... to ignore them is unwise. You just can't beat the humor either.
Oh yeah, Freight Baiting is my favorite, but best let to the "elite" scam baiters.

With a Freight Baiting a baiter (or real merchant) is approached by a scammer
who pays for merchandise with a fake check or credit card. The authorities
are alerted about the fake CC's. The "merchant" tells the scammer he can
only ship his merchandise, usually high end expensive laptops, if
the scammer pays for shipping. DHL International Air Freight Collect.
(The scamer MUST PAY CASH to DHL to collect his "merchandise".
DHL Lagos INSISTS on this because of fraud in that country)

The scammer knows air freight from USA to Lagos will be a LOT of money,
but still a great deal for him at $2,000 for 40-50 high end laptops he has
NO intention of ever paying for. He THINKS he's golden!   Cool

Does the scammer receiver high end expensive laptops?
No.....at best he gets several boxes of dead computer power supplies.
At worst he gets a junked stove, washing machine, refrigerator,etc.
  Grin
Check this out:
This Nigerian scammer was taken for 9 (NINE) fake shipments Freight Collect
to Lagos, with his shipping bills totaling $60,000 USD.
   Huh
http://thescambaiter.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1132
W2IBC

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2011, 09:26:38 AM »

classic.

stringing a scammer along wasting tons of his time. win

making scammers pay there own money priceless

G8WRB

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2011, 04:49:15 AM »

Also 209.85.xxxxxxxx is NOT a U.K. IP Address!

Note: With a Free 30 Day trial of ReadNotify Software you CAN trace the location of virtually ANY IP Address, including Gmail, and tell each and every time it was opened, to what I.P. it was forwarded, and what times and for how long THAT person opened it.
Unfortunately my version of this useful siftware has expired and I don't want to pay for it....

Be aware, I would not put too much trust in country / IP lookups. I run a website where there was a forum for people to post about a local railway line used by commuters.

http://www.southminster-branch-line.org.uk/

I got lots of spam on the forums, so came to the conclusion that since this was a commuter line, there was no real reason for anyone outside the UK to post to it. Why should anyone in Nigeria or the US need to post messages about a rail line used by commuters in London/Essex?

Then I found out I'd cut off one of the most useful people who posted. He worked in London, but for a US bank, so his IP appeared to come from the USA. That was no big deal, as I took at guess at the IPs his employer might use and allowed those too.

But there are many services which allow one to spoof an IP address. Pay a few $'s and your posts will appear to come from a different country to where you really are.

I've never personally had to get a refund from Paypal, but I know of a friend whose wife bought a handbag for £600 (~$1000) which was a fake.  I know my friend had to get an expert to inspect this and produce a report stating all the differences between the handbag and a real one.  Apparently there were several of them - down to things like the type of stitches used.

Paypal made one stage very difficult, as they wanted something faxed. So whilst the web/email/scans were fine for some things, when it finally came to it, he needed to send a fax. For that he had to pay for a service, as like most people now he does not have a fax machine.

He did get his money back. I'm not sure if Paypal paid for the expert to look at the handbag.

Since this handbag was a fake, Paypal said the handbag should NOT be returned to the seller, but instead be destroyed. So the seller lost both his money and his handbag!

Luckily my wife is happy to get a handbag from a local store and would not dream of spending more than £50 or so. But some women spend a fortune on handbags.

Dave G8WRB
KD0OIR

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2011, 06:06:49 AM »

Don't order your dilithium crystals from Fair Radio Sales in Nebraska!  These days, they're not nearly as good as the dilithium crystals we had when *I* was a Novice!

;-)

I found that their crystals almost always have defects in the helical structure, I think due to space-time warping.  My solution has been to expose them to intense neutron bombardment.  The neutron's from nuclear powered vessels are very good for that, very high grade neutrons.  Plus they glow a really pretty blue color when observed. 

On a different note, scammers are the lowest form of life this side of used car salesmen, just below slime molds.  Keep up the good work.   
WU0R

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2011, 07:09:54 AM »

Be sure if he sends the filter it is packed properly in the correct amount of Grid Leak oil or else it may incur shipping damage from the loss of electrons.

KB1TXK

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2011, 11:40:37 AM »

You can actually correct that damage by soaking it in automotive blinker fluid for 24 hours.

KE3WH

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2011, 01:32:27 PM »

you pass yourself off as a disabled vet in a wheelchair (stolen valor)

Yeah, I guess the same way cops passing themselves off as children in chat rooms to catch pedophiles is "stolen childhood".

Larry, N2HBX
lol, thats funny right there.

First ticket 1980. Ex KA3EWT, N3DSO.
AI4HO

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2011, 10:33:15 AM »

As a 100% disabled veteran, not in a wheelchair...yet. Also, retired law enforcement/military and civilian, I applaud Ken's tactics.  Like he said...If yer gonna fight dirty..ya gotta get dirty, or something to that effect any way.  Tis true, when you're in the trenches fighting, you are definitely gonna have ta get as dirty or worse than the other guy.  Its a war of that there can be no doubt.  Thee scammers have had their way for too long, its time to fight back, you have to sometimes use dirty tricks to get what you want, there no getting around that fact.  It may not be what you are used to, but, as once was said...if you are fighting fair and are loosing...your tactics suck!

So, we need to take a page from Ken's playbook and start fighting these SOB's.  If we only get a small percent a year, at least its progress.  I don't do much buying and selling as I once did, but I used to get a lot of these scams, I would throw it back in their faces...I would use the disabled vet, with a handicapped son, and a daughter who had been medically discharged from the Army, (all true, my son has Downs Syndrome, and my daughter suffered a broken back in training, getting ready to go to war.).  You have to use what works, you may think it being childish, or stupid, or whatever.  If it works..why not use it.

de Mark
W3LZK

If you can read this thank a teacher.  If you can read this in English, thank a veteran.
WB2EOD

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2011, 09:00:35 AM »

Anybody who sells or buys ANYTHING via the internet is going to get these replies. The best thing to do is to ignore them and pass the information along so others will be aware.  Hopefully, when their success rate drops low enough, they will move on.   
The less these characters know about you, the safer you will be.  Replying with any information such as a mailing address or email address or even a P.O. box may be dangerous.  You may be dealing with crude amateur thieves, then again THEY may be working for violent, dangerous professionals or possibly for terrorists.   

If you really want to 'have a little fun with them', suit yourself.       
G8WRB

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2011, 11:49:11 PM »

Very interesting, you pass yourself off as a disabled vet in a wheelchair (stolen valor) and think all "Post Restructuring" Licensees hams are idiots.

It does not surprise me that you are wasting your time (and ours) on something that should have gone in the spam trash.

Lee
KE4VYN

I contacted the police in the UK about a scammer, who attempted to scam me, but failed. (He claimed to be from Canada, wanting his cousin in England paid, but his telephone number he dailed me on had a Nigerian dialing code).

I had tried winding the scammer up, rather than just putting the mail in the trash bin as you suggest. The police told me that if I can keep winding him up, its a good thing, as while he is wasting his time trying to scam one person, he has less time to scam others.

So you would do fellow hams a favor by not putting these things in the trash bin, but wasting their time. You can also waste their money too, by getting a "personal" phone number, then redirecting that to a mobile. It costs them a fortune to ring it.

G8WRB.
W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2011, 06:51:56 AM »

I once read a long series of postings giving the history of a Nigerian scammer who tried to get a New York computer dealer to send computers after receiving a bogus check.  The dealer managed to get the scammer to accept delivery COLLECT, for a bunch of bricks and bad computer parts.  DAHL was in on the deal and it worked 3 times.  He even had pictures posted of the scammer.  It was a very enjoyable read.

Sam
W9KDX
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2011, 12:17:14 PM »

I once read a long series of postings giving the history of a Nigerian scammer who tried to get a New York computer dealer to send computers after receiving a bogus check.  The dealer managed to get the scammer to accept delivery COLLECT, for a bunch of bricks and bad computer parts.  DAHL was in on the deal and it worked 3 times.  He even had pictures posted of the scammer.  It was a very enjoyable read.

It was a Rhode Island computer store.
One of the classic "Scam Baits" of all time.
Nine shipments of JUNK, DHL Frieght Collect to Nigeria = $60,000 paid by the scammers.
http://thescambaiter.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1132
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: