Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ...Vibroplex Bounce ???  (Read 2022 times)
K0XY

Ignore
« on: April 10, 2011, 10:24:13 PM »

...I have several Originals/Blue Racer 2000's/100th Anniversary Models and most of them exhibit a "bounce" of some sort when I listen to the "moni" function of my FT-2000...a few of them sound very clean...in fact I'm not certain if the bounce is occurring with the dits or the dahs ... I'm fairly knowledgeable on the adjustment process and all VB's are pretty much set up the same at about 25wpm...I'm not certain if they are truly having a bounce or if the local circuitry of the 2000 is the culprit...anyhow, I've adjusted, cleaned, readjusted and still cant eliminate the bounce in several of the keys... ...I'm perplexed, anyone have any ideas HuhHuh thanx
Ron K0XY
AC0US

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 07:02:22 AM »

From Vibroplex.com ... At this point another problem occurs with many bugs: contact D is usually mounted on a hairpin spring which sometimes has a high-frequency vibration visible after some dots are made when the arm comes to rest. This vibration will make the next dot scratchy, a good cure for this problem is to cut out a small cubicle of fine grain, soft, synthetic sponge and fit it snugly - but not too tightly - inside the hairpin behind the contact, so that the vibrations are damped out. Use a small dab of glue on the back side to hold it in place.

Brian - ACØUS
Southwestern Nebraska
K0XY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 07:53:35 AM »

...thanx, I'll try that...I knew somebody had to have an answer !!!
K0XY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 10:03:01 PM »

...the damper provided the fix...I'm still searching for the correct damper material but my small soft rubber foot seems to be doing the trick...thank you !
AC0US

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 04:20:21 AM »

Glad it worked!

Brian - ACØUS
Southwestern Nebraska
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 10:20:56 AM »

As already mentioned, a small piece of foam, such as taken from the common polyurethane cushion foam, or perhaps even certain kitchen sponges, can serve as the dampener here. 

I also used a piece of FELT in there to accomplish the same purpose, felt is still used as the damping stuff in pianos.  The wife's sewiing basket can sometimes cough up a small piece of felt that can be folded over to provide more thickness, etc. Careful trimming, folding and bending with a bit of experimentation to tweak it and it works quite well. 

Once you obtain the right amount of damping experimentally, a single dot of common contact cement or rubber glue can be used to hold it in place.  I wouldn't use Super Glue here, as it may be harder to remove someday, should that need arise, such as in replacing the worn out damper or simply wishing to return the key to stock condition. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: