Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS-940s Volume/Speaker problem and no CW  (Read 2058 times)
KB0FSD

Ignore
« on: April 12, 2011, 10:05:23 PM »

Just traded into a TS-940S. Decent unit. However the CW function switch lights up but it's dead when you push the button like the recieve is gone? in cw mode you can key it and get about 5 watts out but no noise like you put it on standby? I must also ad that this rig has extra CW filters installed including an IRCI filter mod.
Second problem The sound from the speakers in USB and LSB is tinny and garbled and has a high pitch. AM & FM sound fine. But when you hold in the T-F Set button it sounds normal on USB & LSB but only when your holding in the T-F button, let go and awfull sounding!
Anyone have any ideas? Been running a TS-140 and would really love to get this 940 going properly!
KB0FSD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 06:55:59 AM »

OK figured out the audio issue, operator error-slope tune settings. Still no CW mode Sad
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 04:28:17 PM »

The 940 has a power out level control cocentric with the MIC GAIN lower left of the VFO knob. Sounds like it may be full counterclock wise which would put it around 5 watts out on CW.

Which button are you referring to in the statement "However the CW function switch lights up but it's dead when you push the button like the recieve is gone?..." Is this the MOX (XMIT) button at center left edge of faceplate? Is the NAR button pressed? It is located just right of the MOX (key) and the A.T. (antenna tuner) buttons at center extreme left of the faceplate. If NAR is pressed and no narrow CW filter installed (or not working in your case) it would probably kill the RX audio chain. Do you know if the CW filters were working correct at some time before you got it?

Is the frequency display correct?

I was reading the first post and told myself, sounds like the SLOPE TUNING for your SSB problem and then I saw where you said you fixed it that way. Good deal.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
KB0FSD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 06:25:19 AM »

Gene
The CW mode key next to tuning knob, when pushed it signals in code it's function and the buttons light comes on but no speaker or rf output, I do have meter deflection like it is receiving but thats it. Previous owner ran it on CW quite a bit then he said one day it just stopped working. Rig has both CW filters plus a piggyback mod with a real narrow cw filter added. I tried both positions on the Narrow switch and same problem on both settings. I do not run much CW but sure would like to get this figured out.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 08:47:42 AM »

Inspect the large coil on the board located on the bottom (remove bottom panel) of the LH side.  IIRC it is L-100 or L-101.  Been a few years.  It is the largest coil on that board, located rather centrally and is adjustable. 

This coil was originally covered in wax.  If the wax is melted away, suspect that coil to be open or otherwise heat damaged. 

Back when the '940s were a bit newer, repaired several with the symptom of no CW and all of them, replacing this coil, even if it still had continuity, did the trick.  The melted wax was found to some extent on every one of 'em, so if the wax on yours is still pristine, than I would start the bench troubleshoot to look elsewhere. 

AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 12:40:21 PM »

in cw mode you can key it and get about 5 watts out but no noise like you put it on standby?

Do you have output on AM and FM modes?
If not, check the "Carrier Level" slider pot under the metal
sliding door on the top of the rig. (And for FM, the "FM Mic Gain slide, too)

Just a thought.... Ken, AD6KA
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 04:23:45 PM »

Gene
The CW mode key next to tuning knob, when pushed it signals in code it's function and the buttons light comes on but no speaker or rf output, I do have meter deflection like it is receiving but thats it. Previous owner ran it on CW quite a bit then he said one day it just stopped working. Rig has both CW filters plus a piggyback mod with a real narrow cw filter added. I tried both positions on the Narrow switch and same problem on both settings. I do not run much CW but sure would like to get this figured out.

Another thing that just struck me is did you check the squelch (SQL) for being turned off of full counterclockwise. I know once in a while I happen to turn both SQL and Notch (outer knob of cocentric pair with SQL) and the RX audio kicks off.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 06:23:06 AM »

I would look at temporarily bypassing that "filter mod" and see if the receiver comes back. Had to do that with a '940 I acquired last year....one of its previous owners didn't believe in neatness OR documentation when it came to adding "extra" filters.  Roll Eyes
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 09:17:55 AM »

So has there been any progress? Please post the outcome, good or bad, so we can all mark up our knowledge buffers to have this info handy in future needs.

TNX,

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: