Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How does the IC-7401 compare to the TS-590 on paper?  (Read 1857 times)
ZR1PJA

Ignore
« on: April 15, 2011, 01:34:40 PM »

I am pretty much a black box operator and don't understand how all the numbers work, but I am looking at a rig that will that can clear up a received signal very well. I am not interested in purchasing top of the line rigs as I cannot justify that expense.

The two above mentioned rigs are new in the market and the IC-7410 is not yet around, so would like to know what can be expected when comparing the two rigs.

Thanks
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 02:17:57 PM »

A review of the TS-590 is in the newest QST.  The reviewer likes it -- "good bang for the buck" -- which, at $1800 list, should be a whole lot of bang.

If the IC-7401 isn't out yet, it's hard to predict how it will compare to anything.

What antenna do you have?  What do you want to do?  Do you have a ham a half-mile away with a 1 KW amp?

Charles     
N3WAK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 02:28:40 PM »

Paul--I am not familiar with these rigs, but I do recommend the ARRL Handbook and the RSGB Radio Communications Handbook as two good references.  They help to explain signal-to-noise ratios, receiver sensitivity and selectivity, etc, and are a good foundation for your shack bookshelf.  73, Tony N3WAK
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 03:16:42 PM »

Out of the box, the TS590 absolutely canes the 7410 on receive. The narrowest filter on the 7410 is a 3kHz one which must be purchased in addition to the radio whereas the 590 comes with a 2.7kHz and 500Hz one as standard.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: