Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SUGGESTIONS ON TUNER CONTROL CABLE  (Read 1337 times)
K4NP

Ignore
« on: May 01, 2011, 10:31:04 AM »

I'm putting up a vertical antenna with an ICOM AH4 tuner at the base. Where can I find about 75' of 4 conductor, 20 AWG, direct burial cable. The ham outlets don't seem to sell direct burial and places like Mouser want to sell big rolls. Can I use non-direct burial cable if I make sure the ends are sealed or out of the weather? My coax is direct burial and I don't want to use conduit if I don't have to.
Thanks in advance. K4NP ex N1LU
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 01:40:28 PM »

Go to a hardware store and look for sprinkler control wire. It's designed to be buried. Costs around $0.30/foot if I remember correctly. I use a 100' run on my AH-4 and it works great.
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 03:21:24 PM »

Two things:
Check the voltage drop for 75' of 20 AWG.  The AH-4 is touchy with respect to low voltage.
With 75', I would definitely be looking at shielded control cable.  We mentioned this on your other post regarding the AH-4.  I believe that non-shielded control cable Was responsible for the destruction of my unit.  75' provides a lot of area in the case of a close lightning strike.  I don't believe the AH-4 was designed to be used with such a long control line, but I can't reference anything offhand that says that.  Then idea of a shielded cable would be to ground the shield to a rod at the box.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 03:33:03 PM by K3GM » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: