Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Okay, mount/antenna help...  (Read 3415 times)
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2011, 05:45:41 AM »

One other thing, George.  If they use road salt in your area of GA, or if you drive to places that use road salt in the winter, you absolutely need to seal the underside of the NMO mount after it's mounted to the plate.  The top is sealed very well by the O ring and the gasket around the Larsen coil.  But the underside is usually inside the body and out of the elements.  If salt hits that solder connection where the coax is joined to the center pin, it'll eat right thru it in a matter of days.  I had 2 NMO hood mounts on my Dodge Ram a number of years ago, and they were subjected to unimaginable salt spray from all the daily interstate driving I do up here in New England.  I literally potted the underside of each bracket after it was assembled with RTV, and made it a water tight seal.  They lasted for 5 years until I sold the truck.  I tore the brackets apart to use the NMO connectors, and found that they were still nice and gleaming on the underside and the all important solder connections were untouched by the spray. Goop everything, not just around the plastic cover on the center pin.  Goop over the wings, and pay special attention to the coax.  Water can wick down the shield and really create havoc.  The Breedlove mount is the best that you can get, and you'll get a lifetime of service from it.  I have the Breedlove ball mount, and the thing is a jewel.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 05:47:17 AM by K3GM » Logged
KI4ZSZ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2011, 06:57:09 PM »

One other thing, George.  If they use road salt in your area of GA, or if you drive to places that use road salt in the winter, you absolutely need to seal the underside of the NMO mount after it's mounted to the plate.  The top is sealed very well by the O ring and the gasket around the Larsen coil.  But the underside is usually inside the body and out of the elements.  If salt hits that solder connection where the coax is joined to the center pin, it'll eat right thru it in a matter of days.  I had 2 NMO hood mounts on my Dodge Ram a number of years ago, and they were subjected to unimaginable salt spray from all the daily interstate driving I do up here in New England.  I literally potted the underside of each bracket after it was assembled with RTV, and made it a water tight seal.  They lasted for 5 years until I sold the truck.  I tore the brackets apart to use the NMO connectors, and found that they were still nice and gleaming on the underside and the all important solder connections were untouched by the spray. Goop everything, not just around the plastic cover on the center pin.  Goop over the wings, and pay special attention to the coax.  Water can wick down the shield and really create havoc.  The Breedlove mount is the best that you can get, and you'll get a lifetime of service from it.  I have the Breedlove ball mount, and the thing is a jewel.

Thanks, I do I plan to water/weather proof the heck out of this mount. I'm still researching how to do that in the best manner possible (RTV is one of the options I was considering and may be the method of choice). , because I do realize that this is meant more for interior use (concerning the underside) than exterior use.

KI4ZSZ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2011, 03:48:05 PM »

Got the mount in today. Very, very nice and looks like it will work very well. I'll take pics before, during, and after install (still waiting on some other stuff for the install)

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: