Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT1000mp mkv field + Ameritron als600-x  (Read 4505 times)
GM1ZVJ

Ignore
« on: April 17, 2011, 11:22:00 PM »

Hi guys looking for a bit off newcomer advice regards running my just purchased ALS600X solid state amp in conjunction  with my Yaesu ft1000mp mkv field, will be looking to run just short off the 400 watt level from this amp which I belive it will comfortably / reliably do ?? what additional cables will I require for hooking the amp up to the ft1000mp field Huh how do I go about using the alc control on this amp ?? lastly belive the class A operation off the mkv field only gives a max output power off around 25 watts out possibly a bit too low to run this amp to the required 400 watt max level so just wonder what sort off output power I will be looking for to achive this sort off output ??

obviously a total newcomer to amps in general any advice on any off the above would be very much appreciatted.

thanks,
              john
AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 04:46:32 AM »

The Yaesu manual shows the hook-up.  Basically, use a RCA (phono) cable from the TX GND jack on the Field to the RELAY input on the ALS-600, and a RCA (phono) cable from the ALC input on the Field to the ALC output on the ALS-600.  Both the solid-state and relay outputs of the Field will key the ALS-600 directly - no special interface is needed.

You'll probably need 50-60 watts drive for 400 watts out, but this will vary a bit from amp to amp and from band to band.  Just key your radio in CW starting with low drive and increase the drive until you get 400 watts out of the amp.  Then you can adjust ALC to keep it from going over 400 watts.

For ALC adjustment, start with the rear ALC pot set fully counterclockwise (looking at the back of the amp), and the front ALC pot fully clockwise (looking at the front of the amp.  Adjust your drive until you get your desired output power (400 watts in your case).  Turn the front pot fully counterclockwise and then adjust the rear pot until the red ALC light just comes on.  Then turn the front panel ALC pot up to 400 watts output.

Phil - AD5X
GM1ZVJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 07:33:52 AM »

Appreciatte that Phil, thanks again  Smiley
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 10:49:29 AM »

Reducing power below 600 watts will not improve reliability. The FET dissipation is just about the same at 400 as at 600 W.

GM1ZVJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 11:19:41 AM »

Okay thanks for the info but 400w max legal limit here in the uk hence the qrp requirment !!!!
GM1ZVJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 07:16:50 AM »

Help ... never did get around to getting this Ameritron als600 solid state amp hooked up to my ft1000mp mkv field that is until I tried today and failed !!

okay here goes -

Ft1000 mp mkv field- rca phono plug / lead from " tx ground " on the rear off the radio to the " relay " socket off the amp as well as an rca phono plug / lead from " ext alc " on radio to " alc " on amp.

rg213 patch lead from ft1000mp antenna socket " A " to the " rf in " on the amp and patch lead from " rf out " on rear off amp to the " transmitter " so239 on the rear off my LDG at1000 atu and then finally " antenna " socket on the atu accepts the antenna coax.

the linear slider switch on the rear off the ft1000mp is switched to on, amp set to standby and I switch to cw and press the key where I then tune the antenna for lowest swr, after this I then switch amp on when I key down I only get the actual power thats comming from the actual radio showing on the meter off the amp ie. power control set to fully clockwise it indicates 100watts on the amps meter and set halfway its 50 watts, the green xmt light as well as the red load fault light shows up on the amp`s front panel.

help!!! please tell me the amp is not faulty and its purely down to something obvious that I am perhaps missing ??!!
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 08:47:03 AM »

It took you 18 months to hook this up? Wink

Sounds like the ALS-600 doesn't like the load and is kicking itself into "standby" the moment you transmit into it.

Possibly the tuner isn't really finding a match, or as soon as you use the amp, it might start "searching" for a match again (although it really shouldn't, if it adjusted itself while barefoot).

I'd take the tuner out of the line and try the amp directly into a dummy load to confirm the amp is working okay.  If it passes that test, try putting the tuner back in line, but still using the dummy load instead of an antenna and see what happens.  The tuner should always be adjusted (driven to find a match) with low power, and not with the amplifier.  Once a match is found and the tuner is happy, then use the amp.

It sounds like that is indeed what you were doing but something is upsetting the apple cart, or else the amplifier has a problem.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 08:59:19 AM »

Backing off the power will not result in less transistor power dissipation or increased reliability. You paid for 600 watts and should run 600 watts. If you want to reduce power use the RTTY setting (it reduces the transistor drain voltage).
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 09:12:03 AM »

Backing off the power will not result in less transistor power dissipation or increased reliability. You paid for 600 watts and should run 600 watts. If you want to reduce power use the RTTY setting (it reduces the transistor drain voltage).

Legal limit power in the U.K. is 400W. Wink
GM1ZVJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 11:21:09 AM »

Okay guys as always thanks so much for your kind assistance, a bit more testing on other bands soon seemed to find the problem !! seems the previous owner neglected to mention the "10mtr export " part off the band was never enabled !!!
GM1ZVJ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 12:45:19 PM »

Okay guys as always thanks so much for your kind assistance, a bit more testing on other bands soon seemed to find the problem !! seems the previous owner neglected to mention the "10mtr export " part off the band was never enabled !!!

Argh- why is nothing so simple ??!! okay at first I thought I had found the problem ie. the 10 mtr band portion not being activated on my particular amp and this is what was causing the load fault / no power from the amp itself but seems not ??!!  , removed the aatu from the line up and just thought I would check the other bands and yep just the same - load fault light comming on the amp on all bands apart from 40 and 20mtrs on these bands I am getting full output from the amp with no errors.

I get the feeling the amp itself is not faulty but for some reason the amp is getting a good enough match on 40 and 20mtrs with and without the atu so as to not cause a load fault and give the full power output but the other bands are not a good enough match and hence causing problems with the lack off power output / load fault - strange as again am getting a perfect match indicated on the at1000 atu when its in line and the amp switched to standby.

anyone ??!!
KM3F

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 01:25:36 PM »

I see you never got a comment on AM operation.
If your still interested, the AM drive needs to be reduced some to attain the 400 watts "peak power".
If you have a wattmeter, see how much drive power it takes to get your 400 Watts out.
Take that amount of power and divide by 4.
That will be very close to the AM drive carrier setting required.
For example if it takes 60 watts to drive to 400 out, 60/4= 15 watts.
Set your AM carrier to 15 watts drive.
What should happen is 4 x 15 = the 60 watt AM 'peak' to get your 400 watts 'peak' out on AM if your laws apply.
You could use the ALC control to set the AM power by setting the AM power to full on. The ALC setting will cut it back.
Or you can run without ALC and cut the radio drive back manually.
Either way should work ok unless that particular  model radio acts differently.
Be awhere the amplifier will run hotter under long AM key down use with a constant carrier plus the audio modulation so make sure it's not restricted for cooling.
Good luck.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 01:33:34 PM by KM3F » Logged
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 01:41:33 PM »

Back the exciter power down to 10 watts. Get things tuned up and see if the amp works. It should output about 100 watts. If it works start increasingp exciter power.
GM1ZVJ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 04:09:05 PM »

Okay thanks again for all your kind assistance guys, going to give it a rest as feel I am not getting anwhere with this at the moment and want to make a fresh start tomorrow !!

going to test on am as opposed to cw,just cant understand why the atu is clearly tuning the antenna up fine( amp switched to standby ) but still getting the load fault light / only rig power ( 50 or 100watts )showing on the amp`s meter  on 20-15 and 10 metres with or without the atu in line ( could understand why it could show a load fault without the atu ie. due to a very high swr etc with the atu taken off line ) but again its clearly showing a very low swr on the atu prior to switching the amp actually on, and yet on 80 and 40 mtrs its fine ie. full power / no load fault lights showing on amp with or without the atu in line.

argh !! Huh Angry fresh start tomorrow - any further advice/ suggestions please do post back.

thanks.

john - fife in scotland, uk
AB4D

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 06:13:44 PM »

John,

As suggested by WB2WIK, you should follow his advice, "I'd take the tuner out of the line and try the amp directly into a dummy load to confirm the amp is working okay."

You need to confirm the amplifier is working correctly, by performing test transmissions directly into a dummy load on all bands, thus eliminating the antenna and ATU from the equation.  Just to eliminate all probabilities, I would also try a different section of coax between the radio and the amplifier. It would not be out of the question, the ATU could be related to your problem when using higher power.

Please let us know what you find.

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: