Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MFJ 9200  (Read 10919 times)
N3HAM

Ignore
« on: April 18, 2011, 08:38:49 PM »

Just saw the MFJ 9200 on their web site. Six bands by plug in modules, CW only but SSB receive included, compact size and 5 watts out, 600Hz for CW a bit wide and 2.5 for SSB. Looks interesting for 250 Bux.  With that you get one free band module. I could not find any information on how much each band module costs or what band choice you want when you go to checkout. Way to go MFJ, shoot yourself in the foot right out of the gate! Guess more info is needed.
VE2TLH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 02:43:29 PM »

I asked them: $29.99
N3HAM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 03:25:26 PM »

Seems reasonable, still it should be listed with the rig on their website. I thought there would be more interest in this radio on the forum, maybe someone who has one? Guess not, won't be selling my PFR3 any day soon. 
VE2TLH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 05:56:51 PM »

You are right. Ordered one. Its very light for backpacking.
N3HAM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 10:16:17 AM »

Good  deal, let us know how you like it and good luck!
KB0XR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 06:12:29 AM »

I don't see it on their (MFJ) web site.  Got a link anyone?
WA9UAA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 07:33:37 PM »

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-9200
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 09:14:05 PM »

It says the modules sell for $29.95. Interesting radio.
Frank
K8GJP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 08:52:45 AM »

You are right. Ordered one. Its very light for backpacking.

I am very interested in how this radio performs, as well as how you change the band modules when you receive  it.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 09:37:02 AM »

I love the idea of a "NO BAND" transceiver!

No QRM, no RFI, no having to bother with tuning around... Cheesy
W6EOD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 10:31:32 PM »

Seems reasonable, still it should be listed with the rig on their website. I thought there would be more interest in this radio on the forum, maybe someone who has one? Guess not, won't be selling my PFR3 any day soon. 

In this category of radio the MFJ 9200 faces stiff competition with the Elecraft KX1 and Hendricks PFR-3.  I have the KX1 and PFR-3 and I have no reason sway from their use.  I am looking forward to reports on this radio as it is a neat addition to the trail friendly radio family.
WA6MCL

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 09:24:19 AM »

I bought one a short time ago and posted a product review in the REVIEW section. MFJ has not put much online and one has to really search to find info on the radio. BTW it is a cool little radio for $250.00
KD8HES

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 06:16:58 PM »

I have a few questions that perhaps WA6MCL or someone else who has bought the rig can answer.

1. MFJ says that the rig puts out 5W or better on all bands. Is the power output adjustable?
2. MFJ's rigs have a reputation for drifting a bit. The DDS on this rig would take care of that I would think, but I was wondering if drift was noticed during warmup.
3. The rig has a 600 hz filter, which seems a bit wide to me, especially since Ten Tec's R4020/4030 rig's filter is 400 hz. Does it make a big difference?

It looks like a great rig, but there isn't much information, and I'm a bit leery of those band modules. Hopefully MFJ will put the manual, or some other document on their website.
KD8HES
WA6MCL

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 03:09:04 PM »

Followup on MFJ-9200:

No there is no provision to adjust output power. It is fixed at approx 5 watts at 12VDC, increases a bit with 13.8V from a good supply.

I did not notice much drift when using it but frankly did not look or check it out.

Funny thing on CW filters; I like them wide like 600 HZ and some hams like it as tight as 250 HZ. I normally use 500 HZ on my big rig so I did not have any issues with adjacent signals but have never used the Ten-Tec or FT-817 rigs.

The band modules are about the size of a half dollar, and do have pins you gotta be careful not to bend. I guess small size comes at a price. A bit draconian and a band switch and little bigger case might be better.

I hope that helps answer your questions.
Vic..
W4IA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 06:44:43 AM »

Only had my 9200 a week, but here are some observations. It is made in China by BD4RG and is based on the HB-1a. Some of the design is very similar to the KX-1. TenTec also sells a variant made by BD4RG. The MFJ radio is much smaller than the HB-1a and does not have an internal battery holder. There's room for an AA batt box though. The build quality is excellent and the radio is very easy to operate. The receiver only draws 40ma with the back light turned off. I have observed no drift from the DDS and with a 13.8v power supply I have measured almost 6 watts out on a Bird power meter on 20m.

I have all the low pass modules and they can be swapped in just seconds. I have built a KX-1, owned an IC 703+ and a couple of FT 817s. This receiver is as good as the 703 and is very quiet. Your power out will vary depending on the input voltage (8-15v). The radio has a good keyer, 8 memories for jumping to different parts of a band, and 10hz RIT resolution. Fixed bandwidth of 600hz for cw and 2.5khz for listening to ssb. In short, no frills but a lot of fun to operate. The audio output is designed for an 8-32 ohm load and may be weak if your headphones or amplifier impedance is too high. I use a cheap IPod battery powered amplifier and have tons of audio headroom. There is no power output or swr meter built in. I have an Elecraft T-1 tuner to take care of the swr monitoring/tuning.

I am really enjoying my 9220 and have found no problems (yet). It is a good buy, but do not expect bells and whistles. If I could change anything, I would get rid of the detented rotary encoder, but you get used to it. 73, Ron, W4IA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: